How are you keeping cool in the ED heat?

trinidad

They dyson fans are so amazing, a bit pricey but well worth the money they also improve the airflow in the room it is situated. I think they were on offer in curry not long ago, I find normal fans seem to make the room hotter and just end up generating more heat for the room, whereas the dyson ones seem to act like an air con also, highly recommend, or you could just stand near the veg section in the co op for a few hours :)

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And if you have sash windows don?t forget:

> ?Although millions of homes are fitted with sash

> windows, few people use them correctly to cool

> rooms. The mechanics of airflow require the

> windows to be carefully positioned - assuming they

> haven't been sealed shut with paint - so that

> there is an equal gap at the top and bottom. This

> allows cooler air to flow into a room through the

> lower opening and push out warmer air through the

> top.

> Dr Gary Hunt, an engineer at Imperial College and

> expert on the mechanics of natural ventilation,

> said: "Many of us have forgotten how to use

> correctly the sash windows that were so carefully

> installed by the Edwardians and Victorians to

> maximise airflow.

> "If used correctly, it is possible to improve

> comfort significantly in the office or home

> without using air conditioning units that place

> high demands on energy and increase carbon dioxide

> emissions."

> Using laboratory models to mimic the flow of air,

> Dr Hunt has measured circulation in hot, stuffy

> rooms. He explained: "The trick to getting the

> maximum flow of air through the window is to slide

> the sashes so the window is open equally at the

> top and

> bottom.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/143

> 8187/Experts-reveal-best-way-to-keep-cool-open-the

> -window.html

Hot weather bedtime routine from a menopausal woman (meaning someone who's trying to stop a hot night from turning into an eight-hour hot flush with attendant adrenaline rush):

- try not to exercise or eat late even though it's tempting to wait for it to cool down

- open bedroom windows for at least an hour while keeping curtains drawn (ground floor so can't leave them open all all night)

- put hot water bottle from fridge into bed on top of sheet near head end to cool bed before you get in

- wrap pre-frozen large bottle of water in tea towel to absorb condensation and slow melting, put near pillow

- cool shower, no body lotion, only serum on face, pin hair off forehead

- put cool water spray by bed in case needed during night

- put thermos of cold water by bed

- when in bed dab peppermint oil on temples to give sensation of cool breeze

- move cold hot water bottle to feet and put frozen one on lap or near head

In the morning, return HWB to fridge and other one to freezer.

If it gets any hotter at night I'll go to bed in wet socks or even a wet t-shirt like a pug.

We keep these in the fridge to use at bedtime. We freeze hot water bottles and put in pillow cases to lie next to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074W9YSZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This shower gel is super refreshing and makes you cold and tingly for about 10mins after. It?s also cheap from most supermarkets.

https://www.originalsource.co.uk/mint-tea-tree-shower-gel

We usually dry outside especially towels and bedding.

but

as we have two large bedroom windows facing south east and absorb the heat at its zenith - despite keeping windows and curtains closed, changing linen curtains for heavy dark winter ones, still unbearable

so

I bought another tall clothes airer, at night drape wet towels/bedding which we are changing daily, over

said airers in front of windows which we leave open.

This seems to absorb

some of the heat.

We have heavy linen French sheets which are just the right weight to sleep under, a fan on

my side of the bed and run the dw and washer overnight, as the heat generated is significant.

My neighbour has taken to sleeping IN the bath, an old cast iron one, didn?t ask for details.

I have no tips for keeping cool, except the obvious ones, but my Southwark Room Warmth Checker has gone off the scale (it only goes up to 27C)

And that is in my relatively cool living room.

I have been working upstairs where the heat is becoming unbearable. I have just brought my central heating thermostat up here to see what it gets to, and it is presently up to 30C and rising. That's in a shady room out of the sun.

No wonder I have been feeling crap despite drinking loads of water.

I may have to take shedloads of paperwork down to the living room :(

Oh please let it rain. Soon.

ETA: And the terrible pollution isn't helping :(

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Got your wish, Sue. It's lovely.

Yes!

Unfortunately timed for the hosts of the "garden" party we went to yesterday, though :))

Luckily they had provided a gazebo, originally intended for guests to shelter from the "sun" :))