Should Alastair Darling resign?

david_carnell

I've already said I don't think Darling should resign for this alone, but I have sympathy for both Mockney and cdonlin's points

The media is hyping up the worst-case-scenario about the potential fall-out, but for once I don't think that's out of order. What will influence my opinion of Darling (sooo Blackadder every single time!) is how the lessons learnt will influence Government policy

6 months into the job he is not going to be 100% aware of every procedure in the department - I don't think any human being could be. But there it is.. these disks were (are?) flying around the place everywhere and no-one involved thought to put their hands up and say "is this the BEST way of protecting sensitive information?"

I am against ID cards anyway, even with the best security systems in the world, but to allow so much extra data to be under the custodianship (word?) of a group as un-savvy as this, and pay for the honour? I don't think so... So some good may come out of this yet...

I do think the media fuelling fear in genereal is a problem, especially apparently reporting every 'turra' type pronouncement with nary a critical faculty regards half of it being nonsense and what the motive might be.

A chinese water torture of hysterical daily-mailesque crime stories doesn't help either.

But in this case I think you've got it wrong. Identity fraud is a pretty huge problem and a growing one too. It was interesting reading about how crime statistics such as robbery have been steadily dropping due to mobiles being easily blocked and electronics being so cheap these days, and that the big money is basically in drugs and fraud now.

I for one have had an old credit card cloned in the past and it took months for the money to be returned, and it can have far more serious consequences than some questionable transactions.

Quite a few people had issues with a certain garage somewhere in the environs allegedly if you recall.

It's being strongly suggested that we limit personal details on social networking sites, very sensible suggestion if you ask me, like shielding pin numbers and not putting your purse at the top of your open handbag and being generally street smart.

As I say I'm always preaching calm criticsm of media reporting, but this really is a staggering, staggering error (ok, not 15,000 dead in a cyclone, but you know...if no brits die...)

*edited to reinforce that neither am i calling for resignation ... yet*

Also agree on this one - having pictures is bad enough I guess - but every time someone on Facebook sends me an invitation to compare this/hug that/listen to something else, I have yet another application/developer/fraudster? asking for permission for access to my profile details (note: not just my profile.. it may be having a look at things marked private such as passwords as well) so I always say no.

Joshing aside, I did have a pertinent point to make on the issue of resignations.

In the good old days, ministers resigned because they were guilty of perjury, fraud and enormous hypocrisy with regard to their public / private life. These days, when the photocopier gets jammed in the bowels of Whitehall, there's always someone saying that 'the stink goes all the way to the top' and demanding someone's head on a plate, and I think it's utter tosh. I exaggerate to make the point, of course.

I quite agree *bob*, though under the last lot*, when ministers had done something wrong, it was always huge pressure by the media that finally forced a resignation, and Blair would always say 'he's done nothing wrong', then bring them back after a bit, sometimes, as you pointed out, without portfolio.

When an administration has such a deeply ingrained "not me mate, I ain't done nuffink wrong" culture, then it becomes something of a natural reaction to start demanding heads (plural people...plural!!!) for ever little transgression.

*I'm not execting the 'new' lot to be any different btw.

I dont think he should resign. Letting NR go under would have been disasterous for public confidence, reflected badly on Labour and could have led to a mass public panic.

Going forward Labours chances of winning the next election will be hugely influenced by how they manage the current precarious and rocky economy. Its all very well to brag about how well you are doing in a stable booming global economy but its when it gets rocky that decent leadership and management really shines through. And thats now.

As for losing a couple of CD's - I do that all the time! That wasn't Darling's fault either.

So he should stay on as normal for now. But I am still unsure as to whether he is a natural chancellor or just Browns puppet. The media can smell blood and I fear they wont let up on him easily.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

an office junior in revenues stabbed a colleague

Oh my God. We must hold the Chancellor responsible for the lawlesnness that is pervading the whole of our Government and Society.

The buck has to stop with him. This would never happen if the Tories were in power.

I blame the Big Brother-isation of society. Almost every week there is a call for someone to go (get evicted from the House) and while this is dressed up by the Meejah as "people power" or holiding those in power to account, it is nothing of the sort. It's the worst kind of cynical anti-politics. One should resign if one's actions have caused a disaster, but not if a disaster means you have to act.

BTW, Northern Rock should be nationalised. It will be the cheapest option. But this government, so in love with economic neo-liberalism, will find it very hard to swallow.

SMG: I dunno who you'd vote for to change it as it's really the total world system rather than a specific party and its policies (and there's barely any difference between them here). The nation state is largely dead in terms of what it can do to shape the economy, which goes some way I think to explaining why nowadays there is so much waffle about public services or crime or immigants - because these are the only things a government anything about, not that they'd admit that!

BarryM - The Green Party wants to change the system, but whether it will manage to keep true to it's principles as it gets closer to power, is another issue. All revolutionary movements that get close to power have been infiltrated and redirected throughout history. But I remain hopeful!

If They do sell out and thus fail to save the world from impending environmental and social disaster, my plan B is... head for them thar hills!!

• 2 months later...

Child benefit fraud fraud

Remember the missing child benefit database hullabaloo?

Well rumour has it that it didn't get lost. In fact it was never even sent.

The guy responsible lied initially because he had forgotten to post it and didn't want to get into trouble. His managers then just went along with it because they didn't want to admit that sending sensitive data by courier was normal procedure.

(From Holy Moly).

This is, I reckon, highly plausible - and actually very funny!