Support your local Dulwich butcher day

dbboy

I would like to propose a "support your local Dulwich butcher day" and indulge in eating as much and as many different types and cuts of MEAT as you like. I'm thinking roasting, stewing, barbecuing, braising, frieing and raw.

It should be remembered that it was a carniverous diet which allowed sufficient intake of protein to fuel our enlarged brains, which consume (weight for weight) a disporportionate amount of energy. Our herbivore cousins remained in the trees.

If we weren't (pre-historically) an omnivore species with a taste and capacity for meat (and fish) we wouldn't be the dominant primates we are today (granted with some other stuff as well - but we needed the big brains and we wouldn't have got and sustained them without a high protein diet).

lol penguin, I wish you'd posted this on the vegan thread as I've just said something remarkably similar if a bit more succinct (though your version sounds better ;-) )

it's worth noting that fat played a huge role in our encephalisation too

regarding this thread - what a fabulous idea! We've recently discovered the butcher on northcross road on saturdays and are enjoying our organic roasts... definitely up for exploring alternative cuts (we had some lovely shin steak in a slow cooker casserole the other day from Sainsbury's, dirt cheap too for a huge hunk of beef!) and alternative meats too, Le Chardon does a lovely Ostrich steak but I've not seen anything more exotic (I have to order my kudo and sprinkbok biltong and droewors online).

Also, does anyone know where I can buy grass-fed beef? I know a few online sites like Athleat and Westin gourmet that deliver meat boxes but it would be good to source non-grain fed (i.e. healthy fat ratio) beef from somewhere more local

Local butchers include;

Sparks - North Cross Road

William Rose, Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove

The Plough Butcher - Lordship Lane

W.Bunting - Peckham Park Road

Liberato - Woodvale

Scotch meats - Rosendale Road

Morrisons - Peckham

Sainsbury's - Dog Kennel Hill

Borough Market

Smithfield - Farringdon Road

I approve of this motion. An excellent list compiled by dbboy.

Can I recommend pheasant at this time of year. An excellent bird for flavour - like a very tasty chicken, not very gamey at all - cheap, the perfect size for two people, versatile, seasonal, British, free-range and practically organic.

It's a good roaster if basted sufficiently but I shall be doing my favourite recipe with some home made chorizo:

Pot-roast pheasant with chorizo, butter beans and parsley

William Rose will certainly have some, but most good butchers should be able to source it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you fancy some local veg to go with your meat then try our new weekly local veg bag scheme, Local Greens.

Local Greens is a not for profit weekly veg bag scheme set up by Herne Hill and Dulwich residents. We provide great tasting, seasonal veg from small organic or spray-free farms which are as near to SE London as possible. Our closest farm is less than 11 miles away.

? Planet friendly veg grown on farms that we work in partnership with

? Minimum packaging and transportation so we can pay the farmers a good price

? Collected by you locally (making it more environmentally friendly) - often on the day it was picked

As simple and as sustainable as we can make it.

www.localgreens.org.uk

We offer a variety of weekly bags starting at ?7.50 per week

Our prices truly reflect a fair price for our farmers and cover our costs.

We use 100% recycled plastic bags rather than boxes so it's easier to carry.

?I am absolutely delighted with my mixed bag of vegetables each week and think it?s very good value for money. The vegetables are so fresh and taste amazing. I feel as though I have just picked them straight from the field!?

East Dulwich customer

maria Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you fancy some local veg to go with your meat

> then try our new weekly local veg bag scheme,

> Local Greens.

>

> Local Greens is a not for profit weekly veg bag

> scheme set up by Herne Hill and Dulwich residents.

> We provide great tasting, seasonal veg from small

> organic or spray-free farms which are as near to

> SE London as possible. Our closest farm is less

> than 11 miles away.

> ? Planet friendly veg grown on farms that we work

> in partnership with

> ? Minimum packaging and transportation so we can

> pay the farmers a good price

> ? Collected by you locally (making it more

> environmentally friendly) - often on the day it

> was picked

> As simple and as sustainable as we can make it.

> www.localgreens.org.uk

>

> We offer a variety of weekly bags starting at

> ?7.50 per week

> Our prices truly reflect a fair price for our

> farmers and cover our costs.

> We use 100% recycled plastic bags rather than

> boxes so it's easier to carry.

> ?I am absolutely delighted with my mixed bag of

> vegetables each week and think it?s very good

> value for money. The vegetables are so fresh and

> taste amazing. I feel as though I have just picked

> them straight from the field!?

> East Dulwich customer

That looks like a great idea and might start using that - however, how come the bags with no potatoes are more expensive than the ones with potatoes?

Good luck with the "support your local Dulwich butcher day"

Suggest you might want to make some voluntary contributions to the NHS as you will probably be using them a lot when all the health problems kick in (increased risk of heart disease, obesity etc.)

Also I do hope nobody in favour of this thread owns any pets as that would be quite hypocritical. A bit like those sanctimonious vegetarians who eat dairy products.

DJKQ - I doubt you will find a butcher who can fulfill that criteria.

All animals for sale have to be slaughtered in an approved abbatoir. I'm guessing the processes involved there upset you?

The best possible solution would be to buy direct from the farm gate where the farmer can tell you about the animals slaughter and whether they made it as pleasant as possible. I would recommend the following for pork, lamb and poulty (sadly they don't do beef) and they will deliver in bulk if you are able to take the quantity. Alternatively, split with a friend.

Hidden Valley Pigs

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good luck with the "support your local Dulwich

> butcher day"

>

> Suggest you might want to make some voluntary

> contributions to the NHS as you will probably be

> using them a lot when all the health problems kick

> in (increased risk of heart disease, obesity

> etc.)

>

> Also I do hope nobody in favour of this thread

> owns any pets as that would be quite hypocritical.

> A bit like those sanctimonious vegetarians who eat

> dairy products.

Oh James, you silly veggie, have a little dignity, won't you?

Or failing that, have a little steak or some prosciutto.

"Also I do hope nobody in favour of this thread owns any pets as that would be quite hypocritical. A bit like those sanctimonious vegetarians who eat dairy products"

Why would this be hypocritical? There's no rule that says if you eat cows you also have to eat dogs. In fact there's no rule that says what you're allowed to eat/have to eat at all*. Unless you choose to be a vegetarian/vegan/whatever.

The hypocritical ones (possibly) are the vegetarians who eat dairy products, tho' they may also be sanctimonious (but it seems unlikely). I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone who, having denied themselves bacon, seeks comfort in cheese.

*Obviously there are some rules about eating people, and endangered species and stuff, but you get the idea.