Terrible nappy rash

Can anyone recommend something for very angry looking nappy rash? Mini-Bonfire has been on antibiotics for the past 2 weeks which has resulted in the worst nappy rash he's ever had (although it doesn't seem to bother him until we change him). We're coating him in Sudocreme at the moment, but I just can't face another trip to the doctors as I am sure they must be starting to think I'm a nut job :(

Metanium, Metanium, Metanium. Sudocrem practically caused a chemical burn for us - evil stuff! Also try using a hair dryer on coldest setting to make sure the bottom is bone dry before applying cream & nappy. Good luck - it is horrible!

Hi Bonfire,

My little man had very, very angry nappy rash recently too and when it wouldn't budge I took him to GP and she did say it was fungal - didn't actually say thrush - though I assumed that was what she meant and there were certainly no white rings. She gave me a cream which did clear it up.

Just thought I'd add that in case it doesn't go.

x

My little one had what must have been thrush, horrible red raw sore bottom, poor thing. I tried everything, metanium, sudocrem, calendula, doctor prescribed two dufferent creams, one a heavy duty canesten, but the only thing that shifted it was boots zinc and castor oil cream, which my mum used to use on my eczema when I was little. Apply liberally, literally like paint, and it cleared it up. I use it every change now to try and avoid it coming back.

Anya

We've probably dealt with thrush too, also no white rings. Still not 100% sure if it was thrush but the last thing we used before it cleared up was Daktarin (not sure if it exists in the UK, we were elsewhere, it's pretty much the same as Canesten).

And yes, bare bottoms. Old towels on the floor will absorb most baby "output" pretty well.

And probiotic powder in formula or in food helps stabilise the gut again. Health Matters sell it. Udo's choice infant probiotic, in the fridge in the back of the shop.

If it's not thrush, I can't recommend egg white strongly enough - metanium is good but egg white is an absolute miracle worker. It's amazing and usually clears up the horrid rash in one go - or a couple at most? It's an old wives tale but it really really works. Coupled with as much nappy off time as possible - hope it clears!

Our daughter has had several bouts of red raw nappy rash since she was around 6 months old; metanium didn't work but -timodine works wonders and clears it up v quickly (that and lots of nappy-free time on an old towel). We use zinc and castor oil cream as a barrier cream at night and before lunch time nap.

Metanium is great, but it's not a proper barrier cream, so don't forget to use your normal cream along side it.

'Thrush' is the term generally associated with candida, but there are other types of fungal skin infections too. Some may appear white, others not. Deffo see your GP for some advice about treating fungal infection. S/he won't think you're a nut... if s/he does, find a different GP! xx

Just by way of an update, the course of antibiotics finished on Thursday night and we put a thin layer of Metanium on at bedtime last night. This morning the rash has virtually gone - whoo hoo! So, I am pretty sure it must have been related to the antibiotics.

Thanks again to all of you - you are all fab for giving me so much advice!

Just another tip for ongoing prevention - Since having number 2 I have used J&J extra care baby wipes - the ones with the green and white stripes. She is now 13 months, we've had several bouts of teething, but touch wood no nappy rash. In fact the only times we've had some slight redness is when I've changed wipes occasionally. It must be the extra dose of lotion that they put on them acting like a barrier.

Worth a go perhaps if you use disposable wipes?

(that said I am currently trialling the Asda equivalents, a) because they are cheaper and b) because the little plastic lid on them makes for easier removal from the pack! Hoping they are just as good as the Johnsons ones...)

• 1 month later...
My name is Barbara! (I'll need to get to grips with this keyboard). Glad to see the nappy rash has vanished. I tried everything and got fed up of my little boy being in such pain. Steroid cremes helped but the doctor siad not to use them for too long. So I choose the natural approach. I read on another forum that because water causes nappy rash and creams contain water they should be avoided. There are loads of balms and salves that are oil based. I used mama natures tiny troubles salve which was just as good as the steroid creams I had got from the doctor. Cos his nappy rash is away i only use a little on a day basis and its never come back.