We're due a BIG band....

MrBen

Yeah... we need another rebellious youthquake. Where's y/our latest spokesman for a generation? Where's your Dylan, Townsend, Jagger and Lydon when you need 'em. Where's an illegal all-night rave with repetitive beats and shit drugs I can get monged out gone too? Fuck it... let's all stay in and watch X-Factor on a loop forever until our minds are fried.

Personally you can keep 'massive bands', overblown and half-baked like Coldplay, unlistenable U2, et al.

Kings of Leon (whatever), Snow Patrol (?), Muse.

People latch on to bands like football teams. Take Oasis in the 1990's. Oasis v Blur and all that nonsense (1-2, by the way.)

The Stones' best stuff is arguably their least commercial.

The Stone Roses made one good album, some of it which doesn't stand up to the test of time, and Ian Brown has a 'reedy' voice.

The good music is out there and it doesn't have to be massive.

Take REM. They became huge but became useless in the process.

Oasis' incredibly overated first two albums (but hugely commercially successful) were followed by dirge after dirge.

I couldn't bear another 'massive band' to come along and create another cultural lowpoint like Oasis and 'Britpop' did in the 1990's, grown adults running around dressing like I did when I was 12. 40 year old lads.

Do me a favour!

Go and listen to some world music.

We like our food from all over the world but people can be so blinkered when it comes to music.

complaining about xfactor-watching is missing the point. the next youthquake will happen but it won't happen in music

My prediction is that something colossal will happen in online computer games within the next 10-15 years. and by colossal I mean society-wide, not just gamers scoring points in bedrooms

I thought the point of the 'Big Society' and the touch-pad revolution was that we would ALL be part of the next big band/game/movement... maybe it really is just sitting in tents in city squares and whining - wonder what that sounds like over a million i-phones...

Lawks, a bunch of middle aged blokes moaning that there's nothing new, or indeed important in music.

You want to take a long hard look at yourselves, fellas. Were the Pistols important for your parents?

Of course not, not remotely. None of you is going to know what the next important band of our time is until it turns up on the Today programme. It's no longer your job to. Because it's the 16 year olds in their bedrooms and sneaking underage into clubs with live music that decide, not 40-odd year old blokes grizzling over their broadsheets into their real ale.

Well said RosieH

I think we all know what I meant by BIG band. Coldplay are big commercially but they hardly capture the spirit of times we're living in, the pent up anger, student debt and gross inequality etc after years of rampant greed.

Or you could say that they do.

Perhaps their layered,formulaic, mournful brand of music for "bedwetters", which is adored by millions at bland middle class dinner parties is a sign of just how bad things really are, and how indifferent we've become. Jo Whiley trying to give them a politically correct decent review the other night on the radio pretty much said it all...

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Still reckon Huey Lewis and the News were

> massively underrated. Sports, now there an album!

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own....

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bands like coldplay have always co-existed with

> whatever "big" bands you are alluding to tho MrB

That's a good point. 35 years on, what song do you hear more often - God Save The Queen or Hotel California?

I think we're mixing up our nostalgia here. There are two seperate but related issues 1) Big Band 2) Big new 'yputh explosion' type thing.

On the first there will clearly be big bands not yet known but IMO largely without 2)....and just likely to be more retro=formulaic, there's only soo much you can do with a few chorsd/samplers whatever.

Rosie's sort of right but the thing about say punk or the pistols is that they really, really did shock and scare many even 40 year olds, almost impossible to achieve nowadays as even a maony soon to be 50 year old such as me thinks 'pah, seen it all before' and grumbles into their real ale. When punk hit I got pulled up by my headmaster when my mate cut my hair and I stuck a safety pin through my ear - this bloke had been at D-day, he was actually scared by me...power, fantastic power. Even the 6th formers by and large looked at us with horror as we thought their heroes, Yes, Genesis and Greenslade's double gatefolded albums weren't worth pissing on. The last movement to do anything to shock was Acieeeeeeeeeed, and that was the last true mass movement. The truth is, you can buy any look off a peg, kids who don't know who the Ramones are wonder around in Ramones T-Shirts, Tory PMs agents die at Glastonbury, clubs, sadly, when I last went in my 40s, had plenty of (mainly blokes) older than me off their tits. It's too old hat now.

I think Strafer is on the right lines in that the new youth explosion will be something didgital/gaming , whatever not sure 'music' has that power anymore

So what you're saying is that - despite history being littered and strewn with The Shock Of The (Musical) New, from the year dot onwards - only now, circa 2011, can we say without a doubt that there won't be any more, because we've seen it all?

How many people after punk declared that they'd seen it all.. only to see something completely different the next decade?

Surely the point about things that are shocking/new are that they come from an totally unexpected quarter. So you've done all the drugs, pierced your gonads and you've turned your amp up to 11.. why should The Next Thing be some sort of continuation and escalation of this?

In short, you can't imagine there being something totally new in music, but somebody else will.

No. I'm saying it won't 'shock'...that's all. Elvis was 55 years ago. It, 'youth', is all old hat, and far too many 40 somethings and even a few 50 somethings still doing it

On the musical side I'm just not technical enough to know if there's much new sound to be invented, new intsruments to make them, etc