Dulwich Beer Dispensary

reds

I know a few people who travel to a good beer stop. And a tap-style which gives opportunities to experiment with thirds etc is something we don?t have many of in this neck of the woods. I travel into ED or FH for other drinks cuisines - it?s not exactly a tough ask with 5 buses stopping within 100m.

Not to mention the groups who do the Green Chain Walk etc - a good outdoor spot at the bottom of the hill will be great.

bradc07 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> malumbu Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Good, overpriced, overcold overfizzy

> > over-flavoured beer. Enjoy.

>

> Clueless.

A rather accurate description. Hardly clueless, nor an adequate argument to the contrary. I expect your starting point was a bud light or a raspberry and gooseberry cider. Anything has to be better than that. Perhaps they may sell some stuff that isn't extra pale pale pale American hopped pale ale.

Over to you.

Flying Pig was quite expensive, I think that's what put a lot of people off. East Dulwich wasn't ready for the ?6 pint. I think, from memory, London Beer Dispensary prices are a bit more competitive.

malumbu Wrote:

> Perhaps they may sell some stuff that

> isn't extra pale pale pale American hopped pale ale.

Just a few years ago, "craft beer" was practically synonymous with super-hoppy american style pale ale and IPA. But things have changed and as those styles have become mainstream, breweries have branched out. Sour beers like lambics, gueuze, gose, berliner weisse are quite popular at the moment. And besides... most people want a chilled beer in the summer!! Yes they're carbonated, but usually less than commercial beers. As the autumn, and eventual winter draw in, expect to see Marzen ("Oktoberfest" style), brown ales, dubbels, stouts, porters...

Also, not all craft beer is keg dispense. If you prefer cellar temperature, non-carbonated beer then most craft beer bars should several options on cask. Sometimes you can even get the same beer on both cask and keg, so you can compare the difference it makes to the mouthfeel and flavour profile. While some beers are better suited to keg, and others to cask, most of us have our preference. You can't really say one is categorically "better" than another.

malumbu Wrote:

> PS I was starting with a bit of banter. It's what

> people used to do in pubs before Twitter.

Dull - again. The dubious "banter" says it all - you always seem to be in a time warp.

This is very good news if it's indeed true. ED has a number of very good bottle shops - Hop, Burns & Black, Bottlecave and even Mons cheesemongers who have a great selection of Kernel and Belgian bottles - but there aren't any pubs in the area for those who like good beer - the Ivy House and the Stormbird being the nearest options. London Beer Dispensary in Blockley is quite nice and it would be great to have a pub like that in the neighbourhood. Southey make some good beers too.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Flying Pig was quite expensive, I think that's

> what put a lot of people off. East Dulwich wasn't

> ready for the ?6 pint. I think, from memory,

> London Beer Dispensary prices are a bit more

> competitive.

The 6%+ stuff was - they had some 4% stuff that was cheaper and didn't give me a headache.

Some more thoughts. Hadn't clocked where the Dispensary was (ie next to Mr Lawrences). An interesting comparison - the most traditional pub in the immediate area, the Brockley Jack with the wonderful theatre, sells the most dreadful beer (GK). BD has a reasonable range of proper ales yet the clientele generally goes for the more exspensive keg - hence all my comments on 'trendy and fashionable drinks'. The Jam Circus is as eclectic as all Antic places, and usually does three or four independent ales as a reasonable price.

I do object to the over dependence on over hopped American style IPAs. The Yanks generally stole European style beers, and ironically it was a Brit brewer, Peter Austin who helped start the whole micro-brewery revolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Austin_(brewer). Much of the stuff we have from the 'States is produced in beer factories rather than artisan breweries. And the beer giants want their share of the craft ale market, eg Meantime brewery (akin to Ben and Gerry's ending up owned by Unilever).

An interesting alternative is the Canopy at Herne Hill. ?3 a pint and an interesting selection of continental type beers (ie lagers) with less of a focus on the pales.

Apols for rambling.

Thought it was quite a nice objective post thank you very much. In deed did go to the Dispensary hence my observation. It was once and haven't done a study on what range of beers they sell on a routine basis. The point about pale ales/IPAs is that it seems to be many places that focus on these. There is much more variety than that, and at times it's nice to have some subtle flavours too.

Trends/fashions do influence demands. Surely you must have clocked this. FFS fruit flavoured cider, that really can't be nice. Or a light (tasteless) Mexican 'style' beer with a lime in it. Hmmm. Better to be prepared to debate and to challenge rather than be supine and roll over.