> routine basis. The point about pale ales/IPAs is

> that it seems to be many places that focus on

> these. There is much more variety than that, and

> at times it's nice to have some subtle flavours

> too.

>

> Trends/fashions do influence demands. Surely you

> must have clocked this. FFS fruit flavoured cider,

> that really can't be nice. Or a light (tasteless)

> Mexican 'style' beer with a lime in it. Hmmm.

> Better to be prepared to debate and to challenge

> rather than be supine and roll over.

Every so often a fruit cider with ice, or a bottle of Mexican with lime is OK but not my go to. We had Alchopops back in the day - they were horrible.

Gin is the flavour of the moment, although I've begun to notice a switch to spiced rum.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it will not open until the 4th October according to them:

Dulwich Bruncher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Dulwich Beer Distillery opens tomorrow evening

> (Thursday 27 September). Exciting stuff!

> 481 Lordship Lane London SE22 8JY (where Barcelona

> Tapas used to be)

Sue Wrote:

> jimbo1964 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's not off the beaten track for people that

> live

> > there. Currently no pub between The Plough and

> > Forest Hill.

>

>

> Exactly.

Even if you live in goose green end a 176 and 185 bus go there its hardly off the beaten track when its on a main road near a major junction, the P4 from dulwich village stops nearby and the 197 from peckham rye vis Barry road.

In the summer it'll be a pleasant stroll too

Just to keep you all in the loop regarding our food offer... From this week we will have the magnificent Stranger Naans guys providing delicious meals every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5pm onwards and on Saturdays from midday 'til late. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays from Sunday 14th October we will have local foodsters Taco De Planta serving up their gorgeous Tacos. If you have any questions feel free to drop us a line at [email protected].

Much love,

The DBD team x

• 2 weeks later...
Without getting into discussion about the success of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to direct me to any other relevant thread. The Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be popular enough and I had the odd drink in the garden.

And the cabinet is still there.

I?ve been in a couple of times since they opened and each time, every other person who arrived at the bar commented how great it was to be able to get a drink locally.

Think it will take some time to establish itself and then, I guess we?ll see if there would enoughdenand for the far bigger Grove to re-open. I can?t see that as a bar/restaurant only but could have seen it as an inn with rooms until the two proposals for hotels at Forest Hill went in

I'm sure it was another restaurant or wine bar before Flashmans but can't remember the name. The original Flashmans was smaller and they built the wrap around extension at the front. Nice guy ran it, Graham?

Anyway me and MrsOldie popped in the other day to give it a go and we were a bit underwhelmed. The beer wasn't great and the place looked like it could do with a good clean. I'm very glad it's there mind and I'll definitely go back. Maybe I just had a flat pint.

After Flashman's for about 2 years or so it was La Pharmacie - a quasi French-ish bistro sort of place; generally good but I remember some diabolical over-cooked and dried out Cromer crab there. Then the Barcelona chain took the premises over. I agree that the extension to the front was done whilst it was still Flashman's - I can remember the before and after. I think the Flashman's owner/ manager continued to live over the premises for some time. It was Flashman's 30 years ago when I moved to the area.

malumbu Wrote:

> Without getting into discussion about the success

> of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that

> the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to

> direct me to any other relevant thread. The

> Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be

> popular enough and I had the odd drink in the

> garden.

It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence it?s being allowed to deteriorate to the point where people are begging for it to be knocked down.

• 3 weeks later...

rahrahrah Wrote:

> malumbu Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Without getting into discussion about the

> success

> > of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that

> > the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please

> to

> > direct me to any other relevant thread. The

> > Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to

> be

> > popular enough and I had the odd drink in the

> > garden.

>

> It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence

> it?s being allowed to deteriorate to the point

> where people are begging for it to be knocked

> down.

There is currently a sign outside the Grove saying it is a pub lease to let, or words to that effect?