Dulwich Beer Dispensary

reds

Hey folks,

In case you weren't aware, our first ever Stand-up Open Mic Night is tonight at 8pm! We have the magnificent Sophie Ings running the show and have at least 5 great acts on the stage. Entrance is completely free and Stranger Naans have just launched their brand new expanded menu so it's a great time to check us out! If anyone would like to book a table just give us a call on 02070188586.

Much love,

The DBD crew xx

• 1 month later...

Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again! Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in blankets for next time!!

Tried to add a photo of the roast but file is too large :(

We were lucky enough to have the lamb and the pigs in blankets. Both were absolutely incredible. So happy to have a good roast on our doorstep. Also managed to take a snap!

AndrewBarton93 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed

> in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but

> had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad

> I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to

> perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were

> delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect

> companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken

> roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again!

> Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in

> blankets for next time!!

>

> Tried to add a photo of the roast but file is too

> large :(

AndrewBarton93 Wrote:

> Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed

> in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but

> had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad

> I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to

> perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were

> delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect

> companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken

> roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again!

> Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in

> blankets for next time!!

>

First post? Sounds remarkably like one of those paid-for "reviews" in local papers ..... :)

• 4 months later...
Ah bollocks. Hard to get footfall in that location but I did like to pop in at times and the beer was great. I went in this week on Monday and the beer was slightly off, despite the lovely service. Wishing them all the best of luck with all the good stuff they are doing elsewhere. Really good people and passionate about good beer.

Ah bugger. I suppose im probably symptomatic of a number of people located in and around 'central' east dulwich...I liked the idea of this pub, and have always been intending to go....but whenever i've popped out for a beer, its not top of mind to go in that direction down lordship lane. But thenm every time I drove past when heading south for whatever reason, I though 'I must go there next time'.

I never did, and seemingly, never will.

Real shame but not entirely surprised as it was rarely (ever) busy. But pity for it to close before the summer allowed for the outside area value to kick in.

I got caught out a couple of times taking friends and being told no food that day so we didn?t stay long. I think not being on Untappd or posting their beer list anywhere helped either in terms of getting beer nerds in.

Will take my share of the blame though - I only made it in monthly despite being around the corner.

Sorry to hear this, but not surprised, sadly.

Given there are no other bars near there it might have done well, but unless it got enough business from nearby residents it couldn't have thrived, because it didn't seem sufficiently appealing to be a destination for others.

We went once. It was OK, but there was no food when we went, and there wasn't any atmosphere. Bit chicken and egg, as there was nobody else in there to create the atmosphere.

Hope they haven't lost too much money on it :(

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

> Abe, are you saying something like beer and tapas

> ?

>

> Hmmmmmm I wonder if that could have worked !

The Barcelona Beer Dispensary???

Living nearby, I'd high hopes for the place. However, it was an odd space - it didn't feel finished and needed greater investment. Shabby, but not shabby chic, so didn't pull in the local families. Beer selection didn't rival places like the Watson General Telegraph and the completely unpredictable presence of food was a killer. I popped in for a quick lunch and a couple of drinks on a Saturday afternoon, but the kitchen was closed. One pint and a packet of crisps later, I packed up and went home. It's a shame to see the place not succeed, but it just didn't work either.

I'd be all over the Barcelona Beer Dispensary...

It's fair to say that (Barcelona apart) few establishments have lasted very long on this site. But to be any sort of destination it had to have a consistent offer - which included (considering its location) a consistent food offering. A 'beer only' establishment might have worked on LL (where there are numerous food outlets) - but stuck out there if it couldn't offer food as well (on a regular, consistent and quality basis) it was surely doomed.

This was what they posted last October, so I don't know what happened:

"Just to keep you all in the loop regarding our food offer... From this week we will have the magnificent Stranger Naans guys providing delicious meals every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5pm onwards and on Saturdays from midday 'til late. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays from Sunday 14th October we will have local foodsters Taco De Planta serving up their gorgeous Tacos. If you have any questions feel free to drop us a line at [email protected].

Much love,

The DBD team x"

Sue Wrote:

> This was what they posted last October, so I don't

> know what happened:

>

> "Just to keep you all in the loop regarding our

> food offer... From this week we will have the

> magnificent Stranger Naans guys providing

> delicious meals every Wednesday, Thursday and

> Friday from 5pm onwards and on Saturdays from

> midday 'til late. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays

> from Sunday 14th October we will have local

> foodsters Taco De Planta serving up their gorgeous

> Tacos. If you have any questions feel free to drop

> us a line at [email protected].

>

> Much love,

>

> The DBD team x"

Probably not enough people going through the door I imagine.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> It's fair to say that (Barcelona apart) few

> establishments have lasted very long on this site.

> But to be any sort of destination it had to have a

> consistent offer - which included (considering its

> location) a consistent food offering. A 'beer

> only' establishment might have worked on LL (where

> there are numerous food outlets) - but stuck out

> there if it couldn't offer food as well (on a

> regular, consistent and quality basis) it was

> surely doomed.

recentish beer heavy offers haven't even worked on the Lane - place that followed Black Cherry (name escapes me) and to a lesser degree (offer and location) The Flying Pig.