Bin men bad attitude

George's

I'm in Sydenham, which is Lewisham council. Most people on my street out their bin out on the pavement in the mornings, but on occasions that I've forgotten, they come and get them.

When they're emptied, they leave them on the pavement by my gate, and in my opinion, this is a good service.

To go back in to each front garden, and replace the bins exactly, would take an age, and basically cost a whole lot more.

I'm always really impressed with how cheerful the teams who cover my road are. They don't always put bins back, but I can see that time pressure etc. must be really tough, and battling against hoardes of kids walking to school in the morning can't be much fun!

When walking to do the school run in the afternoon I put back bins for my elderly neighbours or those that I know work late into the evening, it takes no effort at all on my behalf, and it's not something I begrudge doing.

I tend to feel thankful for what we get - my parents in NZ have to pay extra on top of their council tax to have a wheelie bin collected weekly, it has to be taken down to the road by them by 6am on collection day, and their recycling facilities are very limited (basically newspaper and cardboard only).

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I tend to feel thankful for what we get - my parents in NZ have to pay extra on top of their

> council tax to have a wheelie bin collected weekly, it has to be taken down to the road by

> them by 6am on collection day, and their recycling facilities are very limited (basically newspaper

> and cardboard only).

If my parents in Australia don't put their bin out in just the distance from the kerb (where the automated bin grabbing thing can reach it), it doesn't get emptied.

Little boxes, little boxes ther are blue ones, and brown ones, and green ones, and their all made out of ticky tacky and they all look much the same.

Yeah I.d be throwing them about as well,bloody riduculous, another E,U directive no doubt. Used to have big squel bins at the end of some streets,used to get money back on returning beer and lemonade bottles,used to have old rag shops who gave you money for them, used to have rag and bone men to take your old metal away and give you money.he took jam jars and newspapers as well.

We already had a recycling system in place.

Now all we,ve got are bins bins bins. Phew thats bettr nothing like a rant.

I also live on Barry Road and yesterday witnessed the following;

I was in my car waiting to pull out, but as the bin lorry was just behind me decided to wait until it had gone by so I could have a clear view of the road before moving off; I then saw something fall out of the passenger side window and crash to the floor with a splintering sound. The lorry started to move forward and I thought that whatever it was the man would get out and recover it. However, nobody got out, and by this time they were forward of me and I could get a clear view of the inside of the cab from their huge door mirrors. What I saw was an operative delve into one of those large woven bags, often used for the laundrette, on the seat and pull out a seething mass of cables then dump it back in. Next I heard a smashing sound as what looked like a spotlight was dropped without a care out of the window onto the road. It was, and what appeared to be happening was that they are picking up small electrical appliances and cutting the cables off them to put in the bag, no doubt for stripping later and selling the copper for scrap.

Not a bad perk and probably one of many I would expect to be enjoyed by a bin man. However, this guy was actively creating litter, dangerously on the carriageway of a main road. The thing that he had discarded earlier turned out tho be a hair dryer, ready to be shattered into flying shrapnel by the next 12 that comes along.

The driver of the truck obviously didn't care, neither did the operatives at the rear emptying the bins, who just stepped over the items as the truck moved forward level with them when they could so easily have picked them up and thrown them in the back of the crusher.

Unfortunately, I'm not the type of person who will confront a four-man crew of burly bin men, but think it's disgusting that they are paid to take away rubbish and actually create it and leave it in a dangerous situation. They obviously don't give a crap about waste collection.

• 3 weeks later...
I was pleased to receive a letter from the council apologising for the behaviour of the bin man swearing and kicking the bins. Today as I was walking back to my house the recycling crew were doing their round down my road and i am not joking one of the crew was smoking a very large cannabis joint! I actually smelt it before I saw him! He looked right at me as if he was just chewing gum! Anyway I won't call the council as he actually did the job fine emptied the blue bin and put it back no huffing or puffing like a big baby....

Chase Dulwit Wrote:

> I also live on Barry Road and yesterday witnessed

> the following;

> I was in my car waiting to pull out, but as the

> bin lorry was just behind me decided to wait until

> it had gone by so I could have a clear view of the

> road before moving off; I then saw something fall

> out of the passenger side window and crash to the

> floor with a splintering sound. The lorry started

> to move forward and I thought that whatever it was

> the man would get out and recover it. However,

> nobody got out, and by this time they were forward

> of me and I could get a clear view of the inside

> of the cab from their huge door mirrors. What I

> saw was an operative delve into one of those large

> woven bags, often used for the laundrette, on the

> seat and pull out a seething mass of cables then

> dump it back in. Next I heard a smashing sound as

> what looked like a spotlight was dropped without a

> care out of the window onto the road. It was, and

> what appeared to be happening was that they are

> picking up small electrical appliances and cutting

> the cables off them to put in the bag, no doubt

> for stripping later and selling the copper for

> scrap.

>

> Not a bad perk and probably one of many I would

> expect to be enjoyed by a bin man. However, this

> guy was actively creating litter, dangerously on

> the carriageway of a main road. The thing that he

> had discarded earlier turned out tho be a hair

> dryer, ready to be shattered into flying shrapnel

> by the next 12 that comes along.

>

> The driver of the truck obviously didn't care,

> neither did the operatives at the rear emptying

> the bins, who just stepped over the items as the

> truck moved forward level with them when they

> could so easily have picked them up and thrown

> them in the back of the crusher.

>

> Unfortunately, I'm not the type of person who will

> confront a four-man crew of burly bin men, but

> think it's disgusting that they are paid to take

> away rubbish and actually create it and leave it

> in a dangerous situation. They obviously don't

> give a crap about waste collection.

xxxxxxxxx

I think you should report this to the council.

Quite apart from the litter aspect, which is bad enough, it sounds like it could be dangerous.

Broken glass from a spotlight left lying in the middle of a main road?

Would be bad enough from anybody, but from somebody being paid to collect rubbish, that's appalling.

I wonder if James Barber has seen your post? He may be able to advise.

The bin-men at my end of Underhill are polite, cheery, tidy, do their jobs well and effectively. But the roads are wide enough for them not to come under too much continuous pressure from traffic trying to pass, which must be slightly less stressful, and (possibly) the housing is less dense than in some other roads reducing their workload per metre.

Does anyone know if they work in 3 teams (by bin colour) or whether the green bin team one week is the blue bin team the next (assuming the brown bin team remains constant)?

James Barber Wrote:

> NB. The Integrated Waste Management Facility will

> finally open to the public and be fully

> operational in the New Year. You can then visit.

Do you get pushed around in a wheeley bin? That'd be ace!

Did anyone else in Ulverscroft Road not get their brown bin emptied yesterday?

I'm wondering if the green bin emptying people came round first, and when they returned the bin they put it in front of the brown one, as I only have a small brown one.

However this is now full, as I had some shredded paper in it as well as food bags, so it won't wait till next week.

Will phone the council but it seems so ridiculous that they come out just to do one person's missed collection. It must cost a fortune.

George's Wrote:

> Is it just me or do some of the bin men have a

> real attitude problem? Just had collection today

> and they practically chucked the bins back into

> the front garden blocking the path as they usually

> do and when I looked out he complained that he

> couldn't get the bin as it was behind another bin

> which wouldnt have been hard to move aside! Last

> week a different bin man kicked the bin several

> times as he couldn't get it out easily enough!

> Fair enough we do have many bins now the green,

> blue and brown but surely it's their job to move

> the bins and put them back where they found them

> without having a hissy fit. Guess that's why they

> do what they do....

"Guess that's why they do what they do" <---- wow I can't believe you wrote that. You are such a shmuck.

Can I say how great my bin men are (or should I say waste collection operatives....) they ALWAYS put my bins back in the front of my house, they are always polite, and we often share a joke!! I live just off Goose Green roundabout, and their large vehicle does stop the traffic for a few minutes, BUT IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT!!

It must be a tough job, and I bet not well paid, so I do appreciate them, keep up the good work!, and compared to other Boroughs, Southwark's waste collection is one of the best, their bulk waste collection is still free, commpared to other Boroughs that charge extra.