Best changing bag?

With my first, I had a Cath Kidston rose print oil clth changing bag. Nice to look at but useless. Wth my second, I bought a grey eastpak bag and fling everything I need in that- Dad isn't afraid to use it and I can use it easily when wearing baby in the Ergo/beco etc. I have a portable changing mat that goes in it too.

There are some really pretty changing bags out there if you want to splash out, but I didn't bother with a styled changing bag. I just got a nice printed bag from a high street retailer which had compartments and enough space for all my clutter. A stay at home Dad I know just uses a backpack.

But whatever you go for, I would recommend something waterproof for when you are caught in the inevitable yet unpredicted rain shower...

I would agree that you don't need a special changing bag - just a capacious bag with plenty pockets that you like, or (my choice these days) a backpack. All you need to add is a changing mat - you can buy handy travel ones like this travel changing mat, although you might find it a bit small once baby gets bigger. I currently use an itti bitti changing mat because it's cute, soft, rolls up small and I can chuck it in the wash when it gets mucky. You might want to get a wet bag as well if you are going to be using cloth nappies (or even if you're not they are good for putting mucky clothes in after sick/poo explosions). Hope that helps!

Sports Direct on Rye Lane is selling decent, Karrimor backpacks at the moment for ?15. I've just got one and so much more practical than my Storksak changing bag which I will be selling!

Also am getting very into wetbags (I do cloth nappy). The monkey foot ones are beautiful and addictive and not just for cloth users.

I use this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230468206/Product.aspx

very compact waterproof changing mat with enough pockets to house nappies/wet wipes/nappy bags for a day. Easy to pick up and whizz to loo's whilst out and about without having to lug a big bag everywhere. I just used canvas shopping bags for change of clothes which stayed under the buggy (keeping dry)

A backpack that hangs nicely from the buggy. Or just a plain black skip hop which you don't even see hanging from a buggy. Now with #2 (and 3yo in tow) we just stuff nappies, spare clothes, snacks etc in the net under the buggy. Sometimes in a used plastic bag, sometimes just loose. But during the first months a bag is handy as you need a lot more outdoor nappy changes etc.

Mind you I did go crazy for a while, had a Pacapod (for being mathematically organised), and had something really pretty but totally useless (blind grabbing and hoping you'd find stuff). But in hindsight they were nothing special, I didn't even pull them out of the loft for baby 2.

If you were interested in the backpack/pram bag combo, this thread reminded me to sell my Storksak bag (?40) so here's the link - as I said I didn't find it that practical but that's mainly because I used a sling 98% of the time so a proper backpack was much more sensible! In terms of compartments it's actually very good and hangs nicely off a pram.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?25,786532

• 1 year later...