Getting to Oxford by train

mrs cuckoo

Yes, if you want to go by coach both the Oxford Tube and the X90 go from Victoria coach station. My preferred train route is Peckham Rye to Victoria, Victoria line then Bakerloo line to Paddington (faster than district or circle line), then direct train from Paddington.

My daughter and grandchildren live in Oxford.

The train is a nightmare, and you have to go to Paddington to get it.

There are two bus companies running coaches to Oxford, both starting from Victoria. At the Oxford end, they both stop at the Park and Drive, the "other" Oxford University campus, Headington and St Clements, and then in town.

But if you are able to drive, it is much much quicker and more convenient, though less ecologically friendly etc.. And you are not likely to have to spend hours waiting for a bus in Oxford after one broke down, as I did once.

Afraid I only ever drive now :-S Very easy, either via Park Lane if the congestion charge is in force, or via Euston if not.

PM me if you want more details.

That's interesting Sue. I've been driving to Oxford for over twenty years and have never gone that way. Have always crossed river at Vauxhall, followed Embankment round and got on big road (A40 i think)just after shepherds bush, which joins your route. I guess your way could be faster if the traffic is clear but it's a big "if"

In fact i just checked google maps which I've never done before and they suggest either my route or the first part of my route then the M4 then M25 cross country then M40.

Sandyman

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My daughter and grandchildren live in Oxford.

>

> The train is a nightmare, and you have to go to

> Paddington to get it.

>

> There are two bus companies running coaches to

> Oxford, both starting from Victoria. At the Oxford

> end, they both stop at the Park and Drive, the

> "other" Oxford University campus, Headington and

> St Clements, and then in town.

>

> But if you are able to drive, it is much much

> quicker and more convenient, though less

> ecologically friendly etc.. And you are not likely

> to have to spend hours waiting for a bus in Oxford

> after one broke down, as I did once.

>

> Afraid I only ever drive now :-S Very easy,

> either via Park Lane if the congestion charge is

> in force, or via Euston if not.

>

> PM me if you want more details.

I've tried various ways and always come back to the routes I use. I have been stuck in dreadful traffic on the Embankment when I tried that way :)

During congestion charge times I go Vauxhall - Victoria - Park Lane - Edgware Road - A40.

Otherwise I go Elephant - Waterloo - underpass - Euston - A40.

Sometimes the traffic is worse than others, obviously, but unless there are holdups on the motorway due to accidents or roadworks, I can usually get from ED to the Cowley Road in about an hour and a half or just over.

ETA: Re the bus, there is a stop nearer to where the 185 terminates. I think the road is called Grosvenor Place, it certainly becomes that road further up (it's the road going up to Hyde Park Corner) and the stop is opposite a little green.

The only disadvantage of catching it there is that because it's the second stop, if you like to sit at the top front, those seats are always taken by people who have got on at the first stop!

But crikey, by the time you've got to Victoria and then waited for the bus, and then got from the bus stop in Oxford to wherever it is you're going, you've lost the will to live. Though admittedly you can read on the bus, or use the WiFi.

sandyman Wrote:

> In fact i just checked google maps which I've

> never done before and they suggest either my route

> or the first part of my route then the M4 then M25

> cross country then M40.

M4 M40 is the best route by car. Minimum time crossing London, maximum time on motorway. The A40 route has far more traffic and traffic lights - always slow.

benmorg Wrote:

> sandyman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > In fact i just checked google maps which I've

> > never done before and they suggest either my

> route

> > or the first part of my route then the M4 then

> M25

> > cross country then M40.

>

> M4 M40 is the best route by car. Minimum time

> crossing London, maximum time on motorway. The A40

> route has far more traffic and traffic lights -

> always slow.

xxxxxx

What's your preferred route to the M4 from ED? Maybe I'll try that next time. What would you say your average time from ED to Oxford was? I realise it depends on traffic, time of day etc..

Sue Wrote:

> benmorg Wrote:

> -----

> > sandyman Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > In fact i just checked google maps which I've

> > > never done before and they suggest either my

> > route

> > > or the first part of my route then the M4

> then

> > M25

> > > cross country then M40.

> >

> > M4 M40 is the best route by car. Minimum time

> > crossing London, maximum time on motorway. The

> A40

> > route has far more traffic and traffic lights -

> > always slow.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> What's your preferred route to the M4 from ED?

> Maybe I'll try that next time. What would you say

> your average time from ED to Oxford was? I realise

> it depends on traffic, time of day etc..

Going out:

http://i41.tinypic.com/xpbh2d.jpg

Coming back:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rxectu.jpg

I know it's not very imaginative, but I've tried the alternatives and this is quickest and simplest, despite the inevitable gridlock at the end of Chelsea Embankment. The Park Lane route is great for NW London (though Edgeware Road is a pig), but it's no good for getting out of London. Looking at google maps, it's 11.9 miles from SE22 to the start of the M4, but 22.5 miles from SE22 to the start of the M40 - almost twice as many miles of stop-start traffic lights and traffic jams.

after various trips and routes i reckon cycling to paddington then the train is the best option

they've also banned consumption of alcohol on the rattler in recent years, which has really dented the mood on the upper deck in my opinion. this was a draconian knee jerk reaction to all the stories in the press about the darker areas of the bus being used by sex workers to solicit.

tallulah71 Wrote:

> does the Oxtube go through Woodstock?

xxxxxxx

No, that's on the A40 the other side of Oxford isn't it?

The Tube goes through Headington and then into the city centre.

ETA: Thanks for the driving advice - maybe my hideous experience in traffic jams around the embankment blinded me to the fact that overall the journey was quicker, so I will deffo try it again :)