Million pound properties

Alan Dale

Transport in Camberwell (I lived there for a long time) isn't great, but it's better than ED. If you're in North Camberwell then you can pick buses up into town really easily and they're a lot quicker from North of the Green. South, you've got Denmark hill and East, you're within easy relatively easy reach of Oval Tube. also, it's about half the distance to the Southbank compared with Ed, which makes cycling that bit easier.

Still needs a tube / metro system with high speed and high frequency services, but that's true of virtually the whole of SE London. As things go in SE, it's about as good as it gets for transport.

Good debate - much more informed and constructive.

Camberwell probably lost its way as an aristocratic suburb of London after the war(s), and has lived ever since as a gritty part of inner city London, separated from central London by the "Berlin walls" of vauxhal and elephant & castle, and sandwiched between Brixton and Peckham. Not a good place to be.

However, all of this has already changed. Vauxhal (and Nine elms) and elephant & Castle are in the last stages of multi-billion pounds' developments, and Brixton and Peckham are now hipster central.

Equally important, the Camberwell conservation society has done a fantastic job in maintaining and enhancing the area's grand character + there is a lot of redevelopment going (work is starting all over - pocket spaces, the green, Denmark hill junctions, removing bus stops etc), plus the hospital expansion and the Camberwell art college ?80M development etc.

Give it no more than one year max and Camberwell will be back as a prime & elegant central London location.

re transport, things have also already changed - the overground is finally faster and more frequent, as is the southeastern line to Victoria. Thameslink is already much better going into the city and st pancras (every 15 mins), but next year the new siemens tube-like fast trains will be delivered, when it'll become a de facto new tube line (every 5 mins).

But totally agree - fine if you live in south Camberwell. North Camberwell is a different matter re transport - that's where the Bakerloo line extension will be a game changer.

rfolgado

Are you a Camberwell salesperson?

Brixton and Peckham were both posh (with Camberwell) until the late 19th Century eary 20th Century when all the areas started getting more 'urban'; Most of inner London exoerienced a decline post-war with population falling dramatically and a general decay that wasn't really reveresd until the late 80s/early 90s or later in reality; Camberwell was also effected very heavily by the original channel tunnel plans with the tunnell coming up in the park by Lyndhurst Grove (park Name slips me) - all that street and surrounds were complulsary purchaesed by British Rail and left to rot or rented out very cheaply. Estae Agents have been talking about the tube in Camberwell sine the early 80s and earlier - still nothing confirmed yet; it's two big areterial roads through the middle of it.

It's a regenerating, funky, inner South East London district with some nice housing stock in places that offers reasonable value...it's not Belgravia!

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Camberwell was also effected

> very heavily by the original channel tunnel plans

> with the tunnell coming up in the park by

> Lyndhurst Grove (park Name slips me) - all that

> street and surrounds were complulsary purchaesed

> by British Rail and left to rot or rented out very

> cheaply.

Interesting stuff quids. It's called Warwick Gardens. Would have been a disaster for the area if there had been a new track and tunnel opening plonked there!

But I do wish you'd stop saying "funky"...

Jeremy Wrote:

> rfolgado Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Give it no more than one year max and

> Camberwell

> > will be back as a prime & elegant central

> London

> > location.

>

> hmm....

Ha, that was my response to that particular line.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> As things go in SE, it's about as good as it gets for transport.

Better than ED yes, but disagree that it's as good as it gets in SE.

Trains through Forest Hill / Sydenham are great (to LB or the Overground). And I have been really pleasantly surprised to discover the options in Penge what with Penge West having Overground / LB, and Penge East having the Victoria - Orpington Line (which also gives the option of changing at Hearne Hill for lots of other options.

Yes it means the 176 is that much further out, but I wouldn't sit on a bus in to town these days anyway. For me buses are for journies of a maximum 20 minutes.

Not just saying that to big up Penge, I honestly thought when I moved here that transport would suck, but it's been great.

I guess basically it depends whether you count buses as a good option or not.

Ahh the Funky Monkey. Our last night there had it all.. a very amiable curfew tagged fellow who took it upon himself to warn blokes off 'chatting up my bird' - and trying to help someone who just wanted to go home remember where he lived.

Is this correct? Every five minutes from Denmark Hill on Thameslink? I hope that you are right.

A Bakerloo extension to Camberwell was first approved in 1931 but held up by WW2. After WW2 the extension to Camberwell even appeared on a 1949 edition of the Underground map, but no further work was done and the proposal faded away. Train indication signs showing Camberwell as a destination were created in anticipation of the southern extension and erected in some Tube stations; these signs were still visible at Warwick Avenue Station until the 1990s.

Lyndhurst grove and way are great - there are some really nice houses around there. It's becoming quite smart; i think of that area as more peckham rather than camberwell. Once Peckham Rye station is redeveloped in a year or two, that'll become even nicer.

Interesting about those plans for Warwick Gardens, i think camberwell society managed to block them!

I went to a private party upstairs at the FM once. I'd had a pint elsewhere before hand which hadn't gone down well so I was on the shorts. When it was quiet at the start of the party I bought the barman and his girlfriend both a drink. Best money I ever spent in a bar, because after that he stated "I'm gonna get you shit faced mate", and for the rest of the night he charged me for single measures whilst pouring ludicrous amounts.

He did indeed get me shit faced.

Other than that I wasn't keen on the venue, was always crammed. But it tended to be the meeting point for the start of a lot of nights.

Peckham Rye is alright, with LB trains, Overground and Thameslink. If one line is screwed you've ususally got two other options. Greenwich is OK for transport too, with trains, DLR, and North Greenwich tube. But generally you have to say that transport in SE London is not great. I count buses as a last resort.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> city and st pancras (every 15 mins), but next year

> the new siemens tube-like fast trains will be

> delivered, when it'll become a de facto new tube

> line (every 5 mins) >

>

> Is this correct? Every five minutes from Denmark

> Hill on Thameslink? I hope that you are right.

>

That's the plan. I think the unions (obviously) are delaying the delivery of the trains but its all done, dusted and paid for - trains will be delivered next year and there might be some track tweaking after that but it'll be a de facto new train line. Good news for Peckham too (I think it'll stop there as well).

Lynhurst Grove is Peckham surely? Do some people think that's Camberwell?

rfolgado Wrote:

> Lyndhurst grove and way are great - there are some

> really nice houses around there. It's becoming

> quite smart; i think of that area as more peckham

> rather than camberwell. Once Peckham Rye station

> is redeveloped in a year or two, that'll become

> even nicer.

>

> Interesting about those plans for Warwick Gardens,

> i think camberwell society managed to block them!

LondonMix Wrote:

> Lynhurst Grove is Peckham surely? Do some people

> think that's Camberwell?

>

West bit of it is SE5 and Shenley/Bushey Hill etc 'below' it are all SE5

Otta Wrote:

> I went to a private party upstairs at the FM once.

> I'd had a pint elsewhere before hand which hadn't

> gone down well so I was on the shorts. When it was

> quiet at the start of the party I bought the

> barman and his girlfriend both a drink. Best money

> I ever spent in a bar, because after that he

> stated "I'm gonna get you shit faced mate", and

> for the rest of the night he charged me for single

> measures whilst pouring ludicrous amounts.

>

> He did indeed get me shit faced.

>

> Other than that I wasn't keen on the venue, was

> always crammed. But it tended to be the meeting

> point for the start of a lot of nights.

I lived in it for 3 years (well Hermits until midnight then over the road) :)

Otta Wrote:

> My lot would always drag us to the Red Star, which

> was only really fun about 1 in 4 times, but it was

> that or be a Billy no mates. Plus those nights

> that did turn out well were pretty good fun.

Yup Redstar too most weekends - plus Snug/Castle/Babooshka/Pacific; Silver Buckle sometimes but was permanent Kareoke; crap dive club on corner of Camberwell Grove downstairs..name escapes me