Million pound properties

Alan Dale

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its certainly much better than East Dulwich transport links...

Eh? Where I lived, it was also a 10 minute walk (less by bus) from Denmark Hill. Plus had ED station even closer. Plus the 185, 40 and 176 buses.

I think that rather counts as better.

I'm bored on my commute home so I'll take the bait!

All those buses go to Camberwell too. You can get to London Bridge just as easily from Denmark Hill as ED station so it no advantage there.

The Denmark hill area of Camberwell is clearly way better connected than here. It's not even marginal.

Anyway - this was veering off course, no need to get into a slinging match.

My point was I just don't get it when ED people slag off camberwell - it just doesn't add up, it must be an inferiority complex (from the minority who do).

Most importantly, ED is great - love Franco manca, brick house, oddonos, burro e salvia etc - the same way I love bellenden rd, Peckham rye, Dulwich proper, Brixton, brockley market, addington sq, etc - SE London is going through a good moment.

I think some people (in ED and elsewhere)are snobs. What is cool and edgy to you just feels like too many poor people and tat to them.

Of course that's a gross generalisation because there are leafy bits of Camberwell and plenty of people with money live there too. However, if you honestly want to know why some people slag the area off, that's why.

I love Camberwell. I've lived here now for several years. I lived in ED for many years before I moved here. Now I have the best of both worlds. I wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. 5 mins to the amazing food choices and transport links in Camberwell (a choice of trains to 4 or 5 central stations and at least 5 buses into town is hardly tricky) & 10 mins to the very different and very lovely choices in ED. I've lived all over London in my time and these 2 areas are by far the best.

Lovely night tonight at Yama Momo and then a coffee and drink at the French House (what lovely people work there?) Then 5 mins home.

What a bunch of miseries lurk here on the forum. They should move to Kentish Town and then see what they have to moan about.

LondonMix - ED and snobs? Surely that's an oxymoron... If you live in Mayfair, belgravia, the boltons, onslow sq etc, you can be a snob. But in ED? That'd warrant medical treatment. The only places around here that could (at a stretch) warrant a bit of snobbery are camberwell grove and maybe some houses in dulwich village.

Anyway, nuff of this nonsense.

Let's all go back to enjoying cool SE London.

Toodle pip

I agree with that. I love the Crooked Well. Its probably my favorite gastropub in London.

People are and can be snobby about anything- Peckham Rye vs. East Dulwich, the South End vs the North End of Lordship Lane; one local school vs another local school?

Snobbery has no logical limits.

Don?t worry about what people think about your neighbourhood. As long as you're happy and it works for you and your family who cares. People slag off every area including ED and South Kensington (though for different reasons of course).

Oh behave...maybe Camberwell people are a just a tiny winy bit defensive...I can't see much snobiness on this thread?

In my experience loads of SE22 people (including me) have lived in Camberwell too.

I love Camberwell. I spent 15 years there - it has always been much funkier than SE22 ALWAYs. It has generally bigger houses in the posh bits it has marginally better transport links (but to call them amazing is a bit OTT Come on!!). It's recentish food rennaissance is great.

But with a young family rather than a younger single/couple give me slightly more sedate, slighly more school choice and a bit further out SE22.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh behave...maybe Camberwell people are a just a

> tiny winy bit defensive...I can't see much

> snobiness on this thread?

>

> In my experience loads of SE22 people (including

> me) have lived in Camberwell too.

>

> I love Camberwell. I spent 15 years there - it has

> always been much funkier than SE22 ALWAYs. It has

> generally bigger houses in the posh bits it has

> marginally better transport links (but to call

> them amazing is a bit OTT Come on!!). It's

> recentish food rennaissance is great.

>

> But with a young family rather than a younger

> single/couple give me slightly more sedate,

> slighly more school choice and a bit further out

> SE22.

I could have written this myself. Totally agree.

I think Camberwell used to be a lot rough when I was a kid, but for years it's been a pretty cool place.

But unless you're close to Denmark Hill (which a lot of Camberwell isn't) then I'd disagree that transport is particularly good.