Million pound properties

Alan Dale

Apparently the website of choice right now is zoopla, for the mortgage industry use it to find real values of houses. It's quite interesting, and don't forget you can refine their estimate.

What dear Alan fails to mention is the cluster of expensive properties in Camberwell are sheltered from the rot that is the main bit of Camberwell. Most of us avoid it at all costs. And the other cluster is near Myatts Fields, which is a community desperately trying to call itself 'east Kennington' or Oval or 'anything but Camberwell'.

Do zoopla your own house value, it's marvelous!

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The people selling the one on Forest Hill Road

> didn't get their million+ and have decided to rent

> it.

>

> Strange.. I would have thought the handy local

> amenities right on their doorstep (Co-Op, DIY

> shop, launderette,

> Stationers-cum-used-car-park-lot) would have swung

> it. Perhaps potential buyers were put-off by not

> being able to back their yacht out of the car park

> onto the busy road.

Maybe prospective buyers were put off by the 'Alice in Wonderland' decor/theme! lol :))

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

im always surprised when people here complain about camberwell (maybe i shouldnt, its the east dulwich forum :-)

comparing east dulwich with camberwell is like comparing fulham with belgravia - the architecture and centrality of the latters are in a different league..

true, camberwell green is a bit shit, but wait until late next year when the multi-million redevelopment of the entire area is finished..and camberwell church street is fast becoming quite cool (crooked well, hill bakery, theo's pizzeria, daily goods, angel & gypsies, storm, camberwell arms, silk road, mike & ollie etc etc).

Anyway, i quite like east dulwich too - great bread and ice cream! - but comparing ED and camberwell is comparing apples with oranges.

Horses for courses. I love Georgian architecture but would never live in a Georgian townhouse. The shallow footprint is great for creating a lovely sense of light but to get the same square footage as a Victorian terrace you need to be spread across far too many levels.

Victorian London for me :)

Dulwich is more of a family area with great parks and children's amenities as well as good restaurants, pubs, bars etc. Camberwell is more urban and feels more like central London, which is fine if that's what you are looking for.

LondonMix - horses for courses indeed!

yes, it comes down to what people value - i moved to camberwell because it's central, it has amazing transport links and wanted a georgian house.

and discovered happening SE London in the process!

rfolgado Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LondonMix - horses for courses indeed!

>

> yes, it comes down to what people value - i moved

> to camberwell because it's central, it has amazing

> transport links and wanted a georgian house.

>

> and discovered happening SE London in the process!

Amazing Transport links???? - must have changed a lot in from the 15 years or so I lived there. I loved Camberwell when I was young and didn't have kids...still not sure why any person under 30 lives in SE22 over SE5 if I am honest but i wouldn't go back now to live but do for a bite or, of course, the Hermits

Transport in Camberwell is, in my opinion, terrible. I couldn't live anywhere without a train or tube (yes I know it has Denmark Hill, but the line is not particularly convenient, and it is quite a walk away from Camberwell proper).

Some people seem to like buses, but I hate them. The unpredictable journey time, the unscheduled change of destination, switching drivers, etc. No... not for me.

Camberwell transport links.

I live 10 mins walk from Denmark hill, from where I get regular trains to Clapham, Victoria, Blackfriars, the city, St Pancras, Canada Water, shoreditch.

If this is not great, I'm not sure what is.

Plus thameslink will de facto deliver a new tube line + bakerloo line is looking promising.