Car was hit and run by tipper truck with no insurance!

micah627

Im just trying my luck here! I parked my car opposite Sainsbury local along Lordship lane last Thursday between 12:30 and 1:00pm to drop some stuff in the post office. I left my wife and two daughters in the car and my wife rung me to tell me car has been hit by a truck. The truck did not stop immediately instead it stopped about 30 meters away, two guys went down and checked thier truck, then run away! The plate number is CX55 LCM, I think its a Ford tipper truck similar to the one the council is using to collect rubbish! i rung my insurer afterwards and found out that this truck has no recoerd of insurance. Any suggestion how can i get hold of the owner of this truck? by the way, its not only my car that was hit, another red van in front of us has been damaged as well. Any help/suggestion please?

The vehicle with that registration number is registered as a LDV CONVOY 3.5T LPG HL and is showing as insured on the insurance database. Your insurance company are wrong. Check at askmid.co.uk It is also showing as taxed until next year. Therefore everything in order. Colour is white - are you sure it wasn't a council truck?

Hi, I had the same problem. A van hit me in croydon. I searched online and foundhttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067 for ?2.50 I got the name and address of the driver. My insurance company were really unhelpful. It took DVLA nearly 6 weeks to get back to me but I finally got his details. You need to send an estimate of damage and photos. Hope this helps

@ Kidkruger, Adrew1011, i went to the police station in Lordship lane and reported it;

@ dv1, your response is very helpful, it is much appreciated, Im not pretty sure, it might be one of those council truck!!

@ sfmrs, thanks for your reply, it does help too!

Thanks to you all!

Similar thing happened to me in Nunhead hit by a scrap colector truck, in the end I claimed on my insurance and paid the excess But I wish I hadn't done that it would have been cheaper and less trouble to just pay for the repair myself as the excess was ?500 and the claim on my policy caused an increase in premium of ?250 the repair would have cost slightly less and I would have not had a claim on my policy.

Yes you are supposed to tell the insurance company of any incident but in the end if you can't race the owner driver and even if you can financially and in terms of the aggravation it may actually be better to just pay for the repair yourself.