Hooray - Thames Water back on Peckham Rye/Rye Lane

neilson99

Thank god! Thames Water have come back and opened up a big dig at the bottom of Peckham Rye! Woo! I was starting to miss their customer first community focussed works! Almost got to the station without any traffic hassle today - such a boon in this cold weather to be able to sit on the bus for an extra 10 minutes in the warm! With a bit of luck they'll close of the whole of Rye Lane again and set up a good divert so I can warm up with a nice walk every morning and evening. Just in time for Christmas so those mince pies won't be having too much impact on the waist line!

Anyone know how long they plan to stay for?

I so wanted to start a thread on this but realised I'd come across as a bit of a whining tit...however I've lived in Dulwich for 5 years and it seems that Rye lane has had roadworks on it for the majority of that time. Grr..I'm just saying is all. My commute into work of late(city)has been full of adventure what with Tooley st & Bishopsgate also Roadworked up. It certainly wakes you up in the morning I can tell you. Over and out.

I don't know why they bother to fill in the hole. I suspect this is all to do with how the water companies are set up. Basically the regulator sets the amount of profit they are allowed to make. Our bills are made up cost to get water to us + profit. They have no real motivation to keep costs down as they can just raise bills to get the same profit.

I assume that Thames Water (or Thames Digging, as I now think of them) are also passing any financial penalties for over-running roadworks onto the customers in the form of raised bills. Still I was pleased to see that things were back to normal at Peckham Rye this morning, I was expecting the disruption to last at least another week. Lets hope they can leave it alone for a few months now.