Idle cricket musing

Peckhamgatecrasher

Brendan, it's the same as tennis really. You think you've got a stinker, you appeal. You won't make frivolous appeals because then you lose your chance when you really need it. It's all over quite quickly and it was seen as diffusing dissent in recent trials.

I think there is merit in telling players the umpire's word is final, and to get on with it on that basis. And at all other levels of the game that is what does, and should, happen.

But when you get a situation where within 30 seconds of a decision everyone in the ground, and watching on TV, knows it's the wrong one, then there is a problem.

No system will get every decision right. But I'd argue you want to try and get as many right as you can, whilst keeping the spirit and flow of the game alive.

EDITED for spelling and to add a missing "other"

Yeah but it leaves the opportunity open for the players to manipulate the game. Here?s what I would do:

All LBWs, stumpings and runouts are decided by the 3rd umpire. The 3rd umpire starts to make his decision as soon at the players appeal and then relays it to the on field umpire who informs the players.

Catches can be referred to the 3rd umpire by the on field umpire on his discretion.

Any funny business or argument from the players results in them getting publicly kicked in the pants by all the match officials after the game and receiving a warning letter from the ICC telling them to grow the fuck up.

What if you could force a draw if the game gets stopped and time, bad light or rain are threatening. You have 4 appeals left. So you appeal every decision the umpire makes, after mucking about for 5 minutes conferring with your wikky and vice captain etc.

I don't feel it is for the players to have any say in the decisions making process. Use technology to get the right decision by all means but the players are there to play not get involved with the umpiring. Or to be all precious and cry about it when a decision goes against them for that matter.

Fair point. I think with the increasing number of players that have a tendency to claim catches when the ball has bounced or stay at the crease when they know they have nicked the ball, it might reduce the number of players trying their luck. I don't know if the batting side can make referrals? If they can't it would probably be a bad idea as it will only add to the pressure on the batsmen.

I think blocking out on a turning pitch with quality seamers moving the ball and getting reverse swing is a bit much even for the Aussies at 75-5 and over a day to play.

And yes England may have a tough series too but Flintoff can reverse it and Panesar can get good turn... 2 skills the Aussies dont seem to have at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...