Gone from ED, but not forgotten

McCatllar

Marseilles has a murder rate per capita double that of London. It suffers from endemic violence caused by the fact that many neighbourhoods are under control of drug gangs. All the black working class are forced into the quartiers nords which contain many of the poorest arrondisements in France (including the poorest, Felix Pyat, where more than 50% of residents exist below the poverty line). Marseilles has been described by French commentators as a remaining outpost of apartheid. However, it is delightful if one sticks to the southern parts, nearer the sea, just as Paris is delightful if you stay in the centre and out of the banlieues (the French have a real talent for social apartheid). I'm going to take a wild guess that our Pollyana troll does not inhabit the quartiers nords.

To be fair to you (and before the name-calling starts) I have been mugged (attempted) around here previously and also there have been a couple of instances of blatant intimidation for no reason I could see, all by the 'community' (my quotes for some reason as seems necessary) which you identify. But personally I don't see that as necessarily representative of anything, certainly not a reason to start a statement around correlation.

Lived in South London for almost 20 years, had four incidents. 3 x very aggressive begging or borderline attempted mugging (each time I just legged it), 1 x phone snatch-and-run. I'm not really into breaking down crimes by race, but suffice to say that I'm much more wary of unkempt white men stinking of booze with tattoos on their faces, than I am of black teenagers.

Born and raised East Dulwich, lived here pretty much all my life, I have to say I don?t recognise the ED that the OP describes.

That being said, those same problems could be ascribed to any part of London (and many other major urban areas), and London certainly has its issues, so I?m sceptical that this is an ?East Dulwich? issue.

Either way, it sounds like you?re happier where you are, which is good.