Clapham or ED

Robb71

Has anyone moved from ED to Clapham or visa versa, i lived in ED for 7 years before moving out of London and then moving back in again, now live in the Old Town in Clapham, does anyone have a preference and pro's/con's of both places?

::o The "C" word here we go, this should get interesting? ;-)

I have many friends who live in Clapham and therefore end up spending a lot of time there. I even once considered moving there in a fit of lunacy. It has better transport links than ED but because of this it is busy, over-priced and full of wankers.

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Clapham is probably what ED will look like in 10 years time, like it or loathe it.

I lived in Clapham before moving here and I don't agree. East Dulwich doesn't have a tube, a cinema, wide pavements, a massive Sainsburys on the main street or a major arterial road going through it. I can't see those things happening in the next 10 years, places that are getting the proposed East London tube might but I think ED's going to keep its status as a recognised independent British state. It won't be easy and there will be a few "undesirables" move in but it won't be the end of East Dulwich.

And I can see the slight similarity with Friday night drinking crew (a few blokes wearing pink polo shirts) but again ED doesn't have as many pubs, bars and clubs. And to be honest I'd rather have the relatively harmless sloney ponies from Clapham than, say, crack bitch whores from Harlesden. But that's just me.

I think ED?s relatively small size and isolation will ensure that it always has its own feel. It may get busier and more commercial but I don?t think it will go completely the way of places like Clapham.

1 major benefit of ED is its internet forum. Way better than the mass produced, chain store alternatives in other areas.

Brendan said:

"I have many friends who live in Clapham and therefore end up spending a lot of time there. I even once considered moving there in a fit of lunacy. It has better transport links than ED but because of this it is busy, over-priced and full of wankers".

careful what you say about your friends Brandan, some of them might be reading...;-)

I think ED will always remain a bit older than Clapham, in that it's very much a family area with lots f schools and young families. You don't really see that many 18-25 year olds out and about (Inside72 aside), it seems more 25+ in the bars/pubs.

Also, we don't, as yet, have aussie rules footy on Sundays in the park...

I moved out from ED to Clapham in 1999 then moved back to ED last year. I is a great place to travel to and from. Sloane Sq is 20 mins away by bus and you can be in town in 25 minutes on the tube. The festivals that ran every summer on the common were great fun and there is always something to do/see.

I used to go out a hell of alot more when i lived in Clapham (4/5 nights a week) and never had a problem with the place in the early days ?.in fact I loved it. So much so that I actually never came back to ED to go out, just to see my parents.

Towards the end though it got a bit much what with the numpties at the weekends coming to drink themselves stupid or buy drugs. It was an easy decision to move back to ED and I was so surprised (pleasantly so) to see how much my manor had changed.

I lived in Clapham (Clapham South rather than Common, going by the tube) for a couple of years. I was glad to see the back of the area and don't miss it one bit. I liked it well enough at first, but it was so overrun by selfish tossers that I really grew to dislike it quite a lot.

I lived in Clapham for a number of years (first by Battersea Rise, then Clapham old town). I ?grew out of Clapham ? (read: I was not spending all my times/ money in pubs) and was looking at buying a house. I wanted to stay in zone 2 but still have nice restaurant and bars. Moved to ED in 2004 and have not looked back. It does have more of a ?village? feeling and is not as busy.

citizenED Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> careful what you say about your friends Brandan,

> some of them might be reading...;-)

They know full well what I think of them for making me get that stupid fucking 37 bus all the time.

Like Mark and Selma, we lived in Clapham for several years. When we moved there Clapham High Street was a jumble of charity shops; cheap local restaurants, like Eco and La Rueda; a great hardware store and a Budgens supermarket. Now, after ten years it is unrecognisable, with a huge Sainsbury's AND a Sainsbury's Local, a Tesco Metro, a GBK, a Sea Cow, Belgos and several assorted queues-on-weekends bars. Sound familiar?!

Why? It's a destination. When we lived there it never felt like Our Town. You seldom saw the same person twice, even in your own street. Lots of flats, lots of 20-somethings, lots of transient Europeans and Antipodeans, all out to spend their hard-earned City cash.

We moved here several years ago for some peace and quiet, and to have a sense of belongling.

And can you imagine a forum like this in Clapham, with such strong views on the future of its community?