> And would you be able to tell me what proportion

> of the new "ED Charter" catchment area was not

> either

>

> 1) ED but already in Charter 1 catchment

> 2) Peckham Rye

> 3) Camberwell

> 4) Herne Hill

I reckon about 40%, based purely on area, assuming 900m radius from each school. If we take population density into account, certainly over 50%.

It should serve a big chunk of ED, north of Heber Rd, west of Barry Rd.

Not ideal, but not accurate to say that it's only an additional school for those in ED who already had one.

I was hoping Charter ED would free up some spaces in other schools but ?catchments? are still shrinking. It?s pretty frustrating for those of us in need of a good co-ed. Also frustrating to see the school-which-mustn?t-be-named recruit so many out-of-borough kids.

Just a couple things:

1. There were many kids who have gone to Charter ED who live in the Bellenden area and they would have never got into the Charter North. That's the same with all the kids who live on the DK Hill Estate.

2. It may free up places at Kingsdale as there will be people who choose Charter ED over Kingsdale, freeing up those places. Visa versa, there will be people who would get into Charter ED on distance but choose Kingsdale, particularly if their child gets a scholarship (I've known a parent decide to do this for this upcoming year and therefore a place opened up at the Charter ED to someone on the waiting list.)

3. Most of the single sex schools do have a mixed sixth form. St. Thomas the Apostle is an amazing school and, although it is boys only, it does have a mixed sixth form. And I think the Harris single sex schools have a mixed sixth form?

4. Charter North are currently doing a consultation on their admissions which would see them putting the point for measureing distance nearer the Sunray Gardens end of Red Post Hill (i.e. main vehicle entrance of the school (where the main driveway to the vehicle entrance joins Red Post Hill opposite Beckwith and Elmwood Roads) thus meaning that there should be alittle less overlap in the catchment areas of the two schools... although I don't think it was a massive overlap anyway.

Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the Charter North Dulwich consultation is

> making the school a little bit further away for us

> unfortunately.

Charter ED is the consolation prize.

Anyway - my daughter is happy with SydeNham. Its a good school. Not sure I would even go for Charher ED even if i could.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> hpsaucey Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ditto - a lot of hard work, and James has every

> > right to feel please and proud (thank you

> James)

> > whilst the whole community benefits.

> >

>

> No it doesnt.

Alright - I'll qualify - local families looking for schools most immediately; and more generally surely any new school is a community asset to be welcomed which is what I meant. Also as others have said on the whole an extra school should decrease pressure generally on local secondaries - unless its like Kingsdale with no distance criteria.

Sorry for anyone in a 'black hole', But most of our local schools are bl**dy good.

HP

The Charter School (original) ceased to be an East Dulwich school a very long time ago, if it ever was. Geographically it is in SE24/SE21 (I haven't googled the post code). Even when it was in it's infancy, most of SE22 was excluded. To the untrained eye the intake seems a bit random due to sibling places carrying on for 15+ years, accepting students from families who rent in catchment for a year or two, and all their other flexible entrance criteria. Charter ED is so close it more or less shares a catchment and maybe it possibly relieves a bit of pressure on Kingsdale places but as Kingsdale accepts students from all over London, the relief of that pressure in SE22 might not be particularly noticeable.

Loads of SE22 kids go to Kingsdale so of course it relieves the pressure. It's a bit disingenuous to say that 'Kingsdale accepts students from all over London' - while that's true, the vast majority actually come from the immediate surrounding area, especially as Kingsdale isn't well served for public transport. As someone says upthread, the new Charter relieves the pressure on Kingsdale and vice versa; it's all to the good.

Not according to the minutes of the Southwark School Places Strategy Committee, Redjam, in which it has been noted that bulge classes at Kingsdale won?t help alleviate shortages in Southwark due to the low percentage of Southwark kids attending the school.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s71640/Report%202017%20Primary%20and%20Secondary%20School%20Place%20Planning%20Strategy%20Update.pdf

Fair enough - won't argue with a council report. Just basing my impression on the fact that my daughter (at Kingsdale) knows lots of kids from E Dulwich and the surrounding areas who go there, and a decent proportion seem to go every year from her old primary school, Heber. Maybe it's a lower-than-expected percentage of the total but as it's such a big school it's still a significant number of children.

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Sorry for anyone in a 'black hole', But most of

> our local schools are bl**dy good.

>

> HP

Most of the schoos are good - correct - and yes an additional school is of course a good thing, but "it benefits everybody" is also a very simplistic way of deciding whether the processs of where the school goes and who it serves has been a success or not.

i still think that this process has not, overall, been a success.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> hpsaucey Wrote:

> -----

>

> > Sorry for anyone in a 'black hole', But most of

> > our local schools are bl**dy good.

> >

> > HP

>

> Most of the schoos are good - correct - and yes an

> additional school is of course a good thing, but

> "it benefits everybody" is also a very simplistic

> way of deciding whether the processs of where the

> school goes and who it serves has been a success

> or not.

>

> i still think that this process has not, overall,

> been a success.

It benefits everybody' is not what I said (if that's aimed at me)and I wasn't judging its 'success' in the way you evidently subsequently did. All I said is that the whole community benefits - and explained what I meant above. I stand by that. The discussion about where its physically located/ nodes etc. and the 'success' criteria conversation around that came way after my comment about it being a good thing to have in the community. Separate conversation strand.

HP

HP

I was only quoting your previous post to agree with your comment that local schools are good

the reference to "it benefits everybody" wasn't intended to be attributed to you specifically but to anyone and everyone who has made that unimaginative and untested comment from the start of the process onwards

I'm sorry, I have to put the record straight here once and for all.

James Barber had nothing to do with establishing the East Dulwich Picturehouse. The idea of the use of the old St.Anthony's School building as a cinema was proposed to father Gerry at St.Thomas Moore Church by a local resident ( happy to supply name by pm) and after favourable discussions the project was handed over to PH director Lyn Goleby.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> HP

>

> I was only quoting your previous post to agree

> with your comment that local schools are good

>

> the reference to "it benefits everybody" wasn't

> intended to be attributed to you specifically but

> to anyone and everyone who has made that

> unimaginative and untested comment from the start

> of the process onwards

Goodo! I?ll get off my high horse then. FWIW I remember all the conversations about nodal points, possible locations for it etc. and appreciate the knottiness of ending up with a school sited, unfortunately, not in the location of greatest need...

But much better to have it than not at all.

James Barber had nothing to do with establishing the East Dulwich Picturehouse.

He is on record as being one of several who have argued for the re-opening of a cinema somewhere in Lordship Lane, by someone - but I agree that I don't think that particular site and business figured strongly in his proposals, but fortuitously became the answer to his prayers...

Penguin68 Wrote:

> James Barber had nothing to do with establishing

> the East Dulwich Picturehouse.

>

> He is on record as being one of several who have

> argued for the re-opening of a cinema somewhere in

> Lordship Lane, by someone - but I agree that I

> don't think that particular site and business

> figured strongly in his proposals, but

> fortuitously became the answer to his prayers...

That may be so and yes it happened for which we're all grateful. What people aren't aware of his his meddling nearly scuppered the whole thing when he started talking with rival cinema outlets. Remember at the time Picturehouse were not flavour of the month with the ongoing Ritzy living wage issues.

creditwheredue Wrote:

> I'm sorry, I have to put the record straight here

> once and for all.

>

> The idea of the

> use of the old St.Anthony's School building as a

> cinema was proposed to father Gerry at St.Thomas

> Moore Church by a local resident ( happy to supply

> name by pm) and after favourable discussions the

> project was handed over to PH director Lyn Goleby.

Not wishing to claim any of the credit in making the wonderful Picturehouse happen, but may I draw your attention to these two posts of mine on the Forum back in July 2012:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,895381,923541#msg-923541

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,922038,923032#msg-923032

Just sayin'...

The two Charter Schools are close enough that they will likely form squished ovals meaning that each has a large catchment area than if only one existed. Without much better maths skills than I possess really hard to tell how far the new catchment areas will be but should be further than current and newer school even further as some aren't used or trusting yet.

James thanks for your work in securing the new secondary school which supplies much needed secondary spaces for the future and will take pressure off other secondaries which is a benefit to all. The final decision on the admission arrangements was the only fair and appropriate way to allocate spaces though naturally has disappointed some.

I hope you stand for office again in future.

• 4 weeks later...

Vik Wrote:

> After an extended Christmas break to allow time

> for the move, the current Charter ED pupils will

> be starting back at the new the Jarvis Road site

> on 10th Jan.

Is the new School still scheduled to open on 10th Jan ?

pecksniff Wrote:

> Vik Wrote:

> -----

> > After an extended Christmas break to allow time

> > for the move, the current Charter ED pupils

> will

> > be starting back at the new the Jarvis Road

> site

> > on 10th Jan.

>