A cinema for ED?

Hi folks,

I'm in the (very) early stages of planning for the set up of an independent cinema in London. ED is my preferred area and just wanted to canvass opinion. How would people feel about a cinema in East Dulwich? Great idea? Terrible idea? Would it encourage you to visit the cinema more as it will be right on your doorstep? Both the Peckhamplex and The Ritzy are fairly close by - is a cinema in ED even needed?

The idea, and again I should stress it's at a very early stage, is for a two or three screen cinema showing a combination of major Hollywood films and quality independent fare. Not too dissimilar to The Ritzy, for example. I'm keen on very competitive pricing - keeping the ticket prices reasonable (and the concessions too.)

All feedback, positive and negative, would be very welcome as, of course, would be any suggestions.

Its one of the main things ED is lacking. I am a big fan of the Ritzy, and would welcome something similar in ED - but maybe on a smaller scale.

The question is location? I understand the old cinema was pulled down a long time ago - which is a shame.

The only cinema-like building I can think of is the Forest Hill Wetherspoons. I would love to see that building turned back into a cinema sometime ...

Thanks for the encouraging comments so far everyone. uncleglen, you're right, the book is far better than the film. M*A*S*H* all the way in the film stakes. drew, the-e-dealer and rememberwhen, I haven't picked a site for it yet (I'll be looking into this over July and August) but somewhere on the "main stretch" of Lordship Lane, basically between the EDT and Franlins would be preferable, if possible. The old Odeon that drew mentioned was just off the Goose Green roundabout but, as he said, sadly demolished. There are many old cinemas that sadly closed down but I really think we will start to see more being opened and reopened over the next decade...

Fantastic idea. The cinema/bar combo is a great concept which should definitely be embraced! There are so many things you could do keep people interested and I think it would be fantastic if you could offer promotions on independent and slightly more obscure films people wouldn't usually see.

When we moved to Dulwich in 1962 there was a Cinema, where the block of flats is now in Grove Vale, between the School and the Mirash. My children used to go to the Saturday Morning pictures for 6d, yes, 6 old pence, for those who remember them.!!

I now take Foster children to Surrey Quays as the parking is good there, something needing consideration maybe for people coming from outside East Dulwich?

Gina

Fantastic idea! Although to make it popular with young teens etc., would have to have high quality 3D (ie., better than the Plex!). We tend to go all the way to Surrey Quays Odeon for good picture quality (don't tend to go to Ritzy because of parking issues). Wasn't the Thomas More Hall up for sale? That would be the most fantastic site!

Absolutely! I would really recommend you consider Forest Hill as well. The wetherspoons in Forest Hill is a great building and is wasted on wetherspoons who have not made the most of the building at all. It has an amazing character just waiting for someone to return it to its former glory. It's also smack bang in the centre of the place. There are fantastic transport links with the East London line now. The nearest cinema to me is Surrey Quays which is everything I hate. So no 3D - pah! They have plenty of places to go. Quality Independents! yes please.

I hope you do it!

I think it is a good idea. About eight or more years ago I wrote to the people at Picture House cinemas to explain why I thought SE22 would be a good bet for a cinema. The person who wrote back agreed it would but said there were no places suitable to convert into a cinema, or at least into the kind of cinema PH would like to run.

So, where to put one? Above the Magda maybe? I really cannot think of anywhere apart from the Thomas More Hall near to ESPH.

I look forward to hearing more about this venture.