A cinema for ED?

Yes, but it wld be more fitting to have an old fashioned 50s style small one like when they first ever opened - this wld be really quirky and fab for ED as a big complex wld just not be welcome at all - we can go to peckham for that(although prefer greenwich)!..comedy club and other acts cld be held there too...endless possibilities....

I don't think an ed cinema would ever work. Most ED peeps watch their movies on tablet or handheld.

Unless its a Vue it will probably strugle.

ED is one of the many nappy valleys. Nappies and cinema don't go together. Cinema cost is outweighed by babysitter cost. Cinema is supposed to be a inexpensive night out. But with babysitter costs its a non starter.

Young 20 somethings are the core cinema market (i guess) and they are not a majority in ED.

No. But 50 Sheds of grey is out now*.

'I lay back exhausted, gazing happily out of the shed window. Despite my concerns about my inexperience, my rhubarb had come up a treat . .'

*twitter parody

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is Fifty Shades of Grey out already?

>

>

> Cazz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Last time I went to Peckham it was dirty.

How do you know most ED residents watch films on their tablet or handheld?

I think nappies and cinema go well. I am more interested in going to the cinema than before I had kids as I no longer have the stamina to regularly go for full on nights out. I am more than happy to pop out locally to see a film without my other half therefore not costing me anything in babysitting but giving me a break...and for those who don't have the other half to cover the kids, but have friends happy to help out it's a shorter sit than having to go elsewhere. Easier for me to get friends to sit while we pop to a film than go off into town.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Oh no Major Buggie Car Park built on ICELAND Site!

I like it... with optional buggie valeting - we wash off the vomit and organic hummus stains while you enjoy a flat white and a babyccino with your precious one...

Tarriff for proposed E.D. Cinema. The Fox

Ticket prices

Front Row. ?20.00 (5 Seats Available)

Middle Row ?15.00 (8 Seats Available)

Back row ?10.00 (12 Seats Available)

10% Discount on Children under 3 years old.

Foot long Hot Dog ?7.50

Popcorn ?4.50 (Small)

?6.00 (Large)

?8.00 (Mega family Bucket)

Ice Cream 100ml ?3.50

Soft Drink 330ml ?3.50

Prices may vary.

21st Centuary Fox

Not all ED residents are nappy changers, unless you are on about the grandkids! We've just moved here, and know others who are moving or have just moved, and we are in our 40s and looking to enjoy the community village feel that ED offers. We are all movie goers AND we watch films on our ipads, via laptops hooked up to the tv etc. I would love to see a theatre showing films in ED

EJTH Wrote:

> Not all ED residents are nappy changers, unless

> you are on about the grandkids! We've just moved

> here, and know others who are moving or have just

> moved, and we are in our 40s and looking to enjoy

> the community village feel that ED offers. We are

> all movie goers AND we watch films on our ipads,

> via laptops hooked up to the tv etc. I would love

> to see a theatre showing films in ED

I agree with all that. And I would love to have a cinema here too.

But the biggest cinema audience is 16-24 and I don't think that

demographic is particularly ED relevant.

For me the cinema plus babysitter cost of 40 odd quid is too much for a movie. [Pre popcorn prices]

cashewnut Wrote:

> Brilliant idea. If you do it well it could be

> really popular. The Rex in Berkhamsted is a great

> example. It's a small town but the films sell out

> months in advance cos the cinema is so lovely. The

> bar's open throughout the film and seats in the

> stalls have tables. Check out the picture of the

> queue in 'Gallery'.

> http://therexberkhamsted.com/

>

> Does have the massive advantage of being in a

> restored art deco cinema though...

I grew up around berko and remember how the cinema shut through lack of use when video rental killed off many a local cinema and was earmarked for flats. It took a few years but just shows what can be achieved when a community campaign & a new generation of Cinema goers who never knew the heyday of the Big screen, just the mundane popping down to the local video store for the latest release spring into action. I think there is a demand for this type of cinema again as people get bored of watching films online or through satellite or cable, or visiting noisy nacho filled multiplexes.

Yes people did stop visiting local cinemas, but I think there is a new generation who want to experience the social experience of small independent cinema & would support it.

I think the obvious choice would be the old forest hill cinema, but I doubt very much if wetherspoons would relinquish this cash cow anytime soon ;)

I have been reading the various responses to a new cinema in ED and it seems Peckaham plex is being overlooked.

I live round the corner from the dilapidated cinema and agree that it is dirty and not a particularly pleasant experience.

Refurbishing an old cinema is environmentally much friendlier. It is a no brainer.

The Plex is just the kind of place that would benefit hugely from a new independent management that could oversee the renovation of the building. Not only does the cinema have a huge amount of space in the front that could accommodate buggies but there is also space for outside seating similar to that at the ritzy in Brixton. The inside needs a complete overhaul to drag it from the 80's. By investing in a cinema that has great transport links you could begin to change an area that is desperate for investment. And the excellent transport links will be further improved when Peckham Rye station is connected to Clapham Junction.

The Plex also sits below Frank's cafe. The possibilty of these two establishments being incorporated into the cultural quarter of Peckham is beneficial for all.

Peckham is ripe for investment as people are moving here all the time.Brixton benefitted massively from the Ritzy being turned into a focal point for the area. The plex could achieve this as well.

Technology has changed the way that small cinemas can operate. In the 80s/90s when video shops boomed, cinemas still had projectionists, and if you wanted to book a ticket someone needed to be on site or on the end of the phone. Now relatively cheap digital projectors and internet booking can allow relatively small operations to work.

When I was looking to relocate my business last year I was possibly going to incorporate a small cinema within it, probably about 40 seats it was dead space that I needed to demonstate high end cinema equipment in so I was already paying the cost of the space it was only the other overheads I would need to recoup. Really I wanted somewhere that was more of a community cinema showing classics, kids films etc

The problem with ED is the lack of suitable premises and the cost of renting them. The one space that I thought would be ideal is the ED warehouse.

Any cinema would have to be multi funtional, there just isn't the footfall or appetite to run something sucessfully in the daytime during the week.

It also depends on how far people are prepared to travel. I see on here some saying how hard it is to get to the Ritzy, which I think is one of the best cinemas in the country. If people can't be bothered to travel such a short distance how far would they go. When I was researching last year I found a couple of decent spaces in Forest Hill, would people travel that far or do they just want something on their doorstep?

Another idea would be a pop-up cinema to run for a month or two, if anyone would be interested in getting something like this off the ground I am open to ideas.

There are a lot of things to concider here ...

Any premises would need to have Use Class D2 Assembly and Leisure / Cinemas, music and concert halls.

This will greatly restrict choice of premises.

The building would need to pass stringent Fire Regulations including fire prevention and fire exit facilities.

Possibly you will need to provide toilets.

Apart from Building Insurance, Public Liability Insurance would be required.

Films would need to be Hired and Royalties paid for screening based on number of people attending.

You cannot screen any of your own Recorded Media due to Copyright legislation.

Further Licences would be needed if any form of Food/Drink that was provided.

Back in 1977 ish I ran a Film Club for The Lee Centre Adult Literacy Unit (part of Goldsmiths Colledge)

Working with Celluloid and just 1 Projector.

Hiring films and organising Couriers to deliver and return films.

Usually 4-5 cans per film.

Organising licences and advertising. Keeping Accounts..

It was hard work even though the builing and nessesary facilities were already in place.

Just scrapping the surface here, but it is not just a case of projecting a film and getting a few

folk to pop up.

Finding the right material is not easy if you need to get bums on seats.

You cannot start any business on the Whim of a dozen or so people.

My Film Club was stopped by Goldsmiths Colledge as 'I was not a Quallified projectionist'

and they wanted to run it. But they never did.

Fox.