A cinema for ED?

Rye Lane is ripe for a Brixton Village-style initiative. There are a few interesting bars and restaurants but they're more spread out so there's nothing that feels like a centre to it at the moment once the shops close.

YES!! Christ lets have a bit of culture and fun! What's wrong with giving it a shot. I hate Peckham Plex. I went once and my feet stuck to the floor and had to come home and wash myself and my clothes quickly as the 'seating' was grim. It'd be a great place to meet people after work and still get an early night. And we'd be giving our bottoms a break, since they loose all sensation due to numbness from the 37 bus route.

just moved into the neighbourhood a couple of months ago and told my hubby last night that the ONLY thing missing in the area is a cinema. NOT an odeon or Vue but a small independent picture house with like 3-4 screens :)

but please, make the popcorn affordable :)

Cheap popcorn. Cheap tickets. Art-house films, foreign film, kids films, family films, classics, as well as the usual big releases. Showings at 7:30pm (none of this two-screenings-a-night nonsense). Big, comfortable seats. Immaculate housekeeping. A location in central East Dulwich.

Sounds great for everyone, except for the poor bastard who's investing his cash.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cheap popcorn. Cheap tickets. Art-house films,

> foreign film, kids films, family films, classics,

> as well as the usual big releases. Showings at

> 7:30pm (none of this two-screenings-a-night

> nonsense). Big, comfortable seats. Immaculate

> housekeeping. A location in central East Dulwich.

>

> Sounds great for everyone, except for the poor

> bastard who's investing his cash.

why can't we set up a ED Communal cinema, run on the same basis as an Israeli Kibbutz, except that it wont have anything to do with farming and wont be set in Israel.

Because a kibbutz set on a farm in Israel has very little in commmon with the market-priced property in central SE22 for a start

Because deciding which films to book/show would be a nightmare with such a large deciding body

Because you wouldn't get the number of people to commit time and money in the first place

the team behind East Dulwich Paradiso cinema club could tell you a few things about what people say the want/will do and then what they actually will do

I know I sound negative, and I would REALLY love a cinema close to my house, but it's completely unrealistic for the reasons people have stated

The Odeon, used to go every Saturday morning from 1952 no dvd's or even much TV in thoses days,when I was in the UK in 1984 it was sad to see it had gone. Ther are a few of us around that still remember it

• 1 month later...
That would be fantastic. I've been trying to persuade some friends to start one for years. Apparently there used to be 2 in ED. We use the Ritzy frequently but never the Peckham Odeon/Vue? With kids getting to an age where they can go off on there own it would be great for them as well as for adults. FAB

There IS a cinema in East Dulwich, or at any rate a monthly film club upstairs at the EDT. Its called The Bigger Picture http://www.thebiggerpic.co.uk/ and there is a bar, themed EDT snacks, often a speaker and live music before the film. Great atmosphere.

The next film they are showing is 'Basquiat' this coming Thursday 20th Its about the 1980s New York street artist who became the prodigy of Andy Warhol (played by David Bowie). The London street artist Stik (who has decorated some ED walls) will be there to talk about street art today. The other films planned until Christmas are on their website. http://www.thebiggerpic.co.uk/

They are just deciding which films to show next year, all suggestions welcome, and help with running the film club welcome too! Fleurdelys the film critic?

Hi

The Bigger Picture Upstairs at East Dulwich Tavern has been running a few months now. They show independent interesting films in the comfort of dark sofas good food and the bar upstairs opened specially for the film night. They sometimes get the film directors to come and speak. Its much cheaper than the Ritzy, big screen and good atmosphere.They are looking for ideas for films and are open to suggestions. All profit after paying for copyright in films goes to local charities. With more help they could show more films more often....

see www.thebiggerpic.co.uk

Its a start for ED