A cinema for ED?

Great idea - we use the Ritzy regularly but parking is now a nightmare. Would be wonderful to have a Cinema we could walk to, showing a good mix of films. Stuff for the kids in the holidays would be a huge hit with local parents and I am sure that residents in general would be really supportive. Very best of luck.

A former boss of mine, Sally Wilton, set up The Lexi Cinema in NW London. It is a social enterprise (not for profit) and is run as a cinema and community resource. It also hosts live links to opera, classical concerts and has cafe, bar etc.

It could be a workable model in ED as there is a strong community ethic and interest in the idea. I am sure Sally would be happy to talk to you.

You could also rope in the local councillors. I suspect they would be keen to support this as it is something that we lack.

There's always this place tucked away in Landells Rd which - though it slightly resembles a 30s cinema has probably always been a factory of sorts - looks like it could be easily converted and support a small car park (provided current resident businesses were in favour)...

Hi Yoss

Would you consider something like these cinema bars;

http://www.whirledart.co.uk/

or

http://www.roxybarandscreen.com/

I've only been to Roxy in Borough High Street and it was a great experience.

I see that pablogrande has been in touch. S/he started a thread along similar lines a while ago.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the members/cinema bar idea since it seems to be a good solution to the capital costs of establishing a "regular" cinema.

Alec

Great idea! Have always thought there is a huge market for a cinema - a bit like the Electric cinema, or many that I have been to abroad - which is something slightly different to the blandness of the Odeon etc.

For what it's worth, which may be very little, I'd love a cinema where you could have a glass of wine while you watch the movie, perhaps with some simple (and non-crunchy, because that drives me crrrrrrrrrrrazy) food such as pasta too.

Anyway - best of luck.

T

This is shaping up to be the new M&S/Waitrose thread!

I would love there to be a proper indie cinema in ED. But we've already got Cinema Paradiso and the Ritzy is very near.

OTW, I don't think that there is enough unmet demand to make this a viable economic proposition.

tyke Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For what it's worth, which may be very little, I'd

> love a cinema where you could have a glass of wine

> while you watch the movie

xxxxxxxx

You can do that at The Ritzy, in fact you can take the whole bottle in if you want :)

Nero Wrote:

>

> So, where to put one? Above the Magda maybe?

xxxxxxx

Cinema Paradiso already shows films Upstairs At The Mag, I believe :)

Example of lack of unmet demand - last weekend when we went to the Ritzy to see MIB3, we were the only people in the (main) cinema.

That is, until the lights went down and a lone bloke came in and sat RIGHT IN FRONT OF the smallest member of our party. But that, as they say, is a whole other thread.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> As a single use cinema then it would be a

> struggle. As a multi-use centre with a cinema at

> its core, it could work.

>

> They Nay sayers lack imagination.

John Lennon Imagine .... The World Will Live as One..

Some things just Ain't going to Happen. (Work)

Fox

Perhaps Yossarian could set up an online survey to measure the interest in a local cinema in a slightly less unscientific way than this thread provides.

However, to contribute to the anecdotal evidence, my experience of seeing Catfish (was it fact or fiction?) with a friend at Roxy involved a nice meal and a bottle of wine while watching the movie in a cabaret setting. It was very enjoyable and the, albeit small, venue was packed and it was a weekday evening in winter.

I know that the "proper" cinema experience is meant to be more immersive - darkened room, lost in the sound and images etc - but the opportunity to share the experience in a less formal way is also enjoyable and suits those who want to discuss the experience afterwards over a drink, for instance.

I'd support such a venture in ED since I really like the idea of being able to walk to and from the venue.

I know nothing about the supply side costs/capital required to set up this but...as much as I'd like a cinema locaaly is the demand really here? I don't think SE22 has enough of a population for this to be susatainable nor has this area that much of a pull (or transport system) to get outsiders in (a la Ritzy). of coures it is something that is 'missing' from SE22 but that alone doesn't make a sustainable business case . I think it'd fail.

I think this would be a great idea and very well used. The idea of showing kid films during the day is a great one. Independent and foreign films would definitely be the right niche with some blockbusters thrown in. The police station on Whateley Road might be sold off a least partially. I think there are certain issues regarding public service use but it might be worth exploring with the authorities.