A dark day - The CPT (Lounged)

Otta

Judging by the exterior, I heartily predict it will be another generic ED pub that does pretty much the same as the rest. Wowzers. If only somebody around here could push the envelope, offer an alternative to the safe/vanilla stodge we're constantly served up. I see younger/trendier folk coming here by the week, which I welcome, that's progress, so where is the intelligent pub to reflect that? Great Exzzzzzzzzibition it ain't.

The problem about Folk Club Nights and Quiz nights is tha everyone is expected to keep quiet.

Folk Singers seem to like the Odd Ale or Three.. So spend money but put other drinkers off.

Quizzers will sit there all night with half a pint of Shandy and a bag of Nuts

and then leave as soon as the quiz is over.

Dispite Quiz Night bringing in customers, they never spend much..

Football draws in the crowds and they tend to drink..

The new owners will have to decide which way they are going.

Fox

A pub full of overweight men, sweating gently in man-made fibres whilst goggling at a giant screen in-between hurried, inaccurate urinations - puts me off.

But there is room for everyone. One love.

Could there be a way of combining the folk and the football on the same night - possibly a Monday?

That could alienate as many as it attracts

Chippy Minton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems like a no brainer for the pub...get a

> massive HD telly and show as much footy as

> possible = kerching!!

>

> There are not enough options in ED to watch

> football so this is a surefire winner.

Not if Foxy's theory that "football draws in the crowds and they tend to drink" is right.

Personally, I've never seen a pub packed out for a pub quiz or a singalong like they are for big matches, especially big football matches.

BTW, before the PM's start again, I'm not anti any other particular event, just that if the pub is looking maximise revenue it will probably show a fare bit of football.

FJD - Well done for counting.

Sue - I didn't say the backstreet pub that it was - I believe a good backstreet pub is needed around here to counter the poncey bars that have taken over the area.

KK - It was not a folk club, it was a sing-around or something which meant non professional 'singers' off the street giving it large with some ye olde English ditty. There was no quality control. Same difference of drunken footy fans singing in the pub!

I like folk anyway, and have been to a few things Goose is Out have done/arranged. I feel that a Singaround in a pub does not work, however it may do in the Mag as I believe it is in a seperate area and not the main pub where Joe Public drinks.

The chance to turn, or return the CPT into a good backstreet pub has been lost, and I suspect another bland pastiche of a gastropub/kid friendly/do you mind not swearing/chacterless bore TBH. BUT I hope I am wrong in that!

KidKruger Wrote:

> It's fair enough to have a preference that a

> specific night / event does not happen at a

> venue.

> However the comments about the folk club come

> across more like attacks on it.

> It hasn't been held at CPT for some time, so is a

> non-issue for that venue, especially now there is

> just the one bar area.

> But comments like it being a 'so-called' folk club

> are derogatory, suggesting it's some weak

> substitute for the real thing.

> I think there's a disgruntled other agenda at the

> heart of those comments, which is not being

> honestly represented by those posters.

That's what I thought as well KK.

There hasn't been a folkmafia sing-along at the CPT for so long it seems odd to bring it up but fair enough if you don't like it and want assurance that the new owners don't plan to reinstate it.

Personally I think backstreet boozers have never been the same since the demise of darts, table football and wet t-shirt competitions. Not necessarily on the same night.

herrd Wrote:

> A folk night is way too populist. Why not run a

> cask ale night for one-legged, albino transsexuals

> instead? You might even get more customers...

This might discriminate any Lager drinking one-legged, albino transsexuals

Fox

*Bob* Wrote:

> A pub full of overweight men, sweating gently in

> man-made fibres whilst goggling at a giant screen

> in-between hurried, inaccurate urinations - puts

> me off.

>

> But there is room for everyone. One love.

Always best is first-night-that-an-old-boozer-opens-after-gastrofication. You get the man made fibres sweating gently next to the 20 something hipsters as everyone tries to work out which way it will go.

Razors Wrote:

> KK - It was not a folk club, it was a sing-around

> or something which meant non professional

> 'singers' off the street giving it large with some

> ye olde English ditty. There was no quality

> control. Same difference of drunken footy fans

> singing in the pub!

>

> I like folk anyway, and have been to a few things

> Goose is Out have done/arranged. I feel that a

> Singaround in a pub does not work, however it may

> do in the Mag as I believe it is in a seperate

> area and not the main pub where Joe Public

> drinks.

xxxxxxxx

Our whole reason for having a Singaround is precisely that there is no quality control. That is deliberate. It's a community event where anybody, of whatever standard, can come and sing whatever they like.

People don't just sing folk songs. People come and sing Beatles songs, songs from musicals, humorous songs, thirties songs, songs they have written, all sorts of things. The point is that it is people who like singing, coming together to sing. Something which has become sadly missing in a society where people go around with earphones stuck in their ears all the time listening to somebody else singing.

The lovely thing about having it at the CPT was (or was originally) that some people who were in the pub already joined in the singing when it started, once they had got over their horror.

Some CPT punters actually got up and did a song (and no - shock horror - not folk songs) and were then quite startled when the people who were actually there for the Singaround joined in (blimey - they know the words to songs that I know which aren't folk songs) and also on other occasions, some people were passing, heard the singing and the singing drew them into the pub.

Personally I think that's a lovely thing to happen and a lovely thing to have in a local community. So let's agree to disagree on that one.

Having it Upstairs At The Mag is fine, and has some advantages, but because people then don't stumble across it, it becomes something different.

And there is obviously no question of the Singaround returning to the new format of the CPT/TGE, so - again - it's rather hard to know why the issue was brought up on this thread in the first place by the Anti Folk Mafia.

MrBen Wrote:

> That's a beautiful thing Sue. The only one I can

> do is "Take it Easy" by the Eagles - any chance

> for next time?

xxxxxx

Yes, go for it, we look forward to it and I'm sure you'll get lots of people joining in.

Unless - you're having a laugh :))

red devil Wrote:

>

>

> That'll be the Pied Piper belting out Stairway To

> Heaven...

xxxxxx

Please not Stairway To Heaven, that's going on the banned list along with bloody Scarborough Fair and anything from The Sound of Music :))

Sorry admin, back on topic now, when will food be available, all day, does anybody know?