East Dulwich's place in Rock'n'Roll folklore

Incitatus

On this the anniversary of the death of AC/DC front man Bon Scott 19th Feb 1980 collapsed (after a big night) in a car outside 67 Overhill Road it occurred to me that East Dulwich and its environs can boast several places in Rock?n?Roll folklore.

There?s the Pulp track ?59 Lyndhurst Grove?, the title I?ve been told was a deliberate effort by Jarvis to annoy that houses residents after he attended a vile dinner party there.

Also the brilliantly talented Vivian Stanshall and Neil Innes formed the legendary Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band at 164 Rosendale Road in 1962.

Does anybody know of any other Dulwich musical landmarks?

Dear SeanMacGabhann,

Loving the Bowie reference him being a local lad and all (well almost), I know that after he had that school yard fight with his best mate George Underwood (who later designed the art work for both Ziggy and Hunky Dory) which caused his paralysed eye, the 12 year old Bowie was treated at Kings College Hospital driven there from the school by his teacher who just happened to be Peter Frampton's dad, Frampton also played in the Bowie's glass spiders band.

Dulwich College was also the alma mater of Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera, before Roxy he formed a band with other former pupils called Quiet Sun who now enjoy a cult status.

Also found out that Robert Wyatt and The Soft Machine lived on Dalmore Road!

Thanks for the Bowie nod Incitatus, although really you would NOT want to get stuck next to me on a 10 hour plane journey on the subject

I forgot to mention also one of my favourite Dulwich rock references (and also a favourite singer) Cathal Coughlan, a Cork man formerly of 80s ironistas Microdisney and 90s awesome Fatima Mansions, now solo singer based in East London & Paris I believe

Anyway, back in the early 90s when the Fatima Mansions were front cover stars on the NME and the seemingly never ending Tory rule was still merrily strangling the country, Cathal lived in East Dulwich. The Fatima Mansions had a good line in T Shirts ("Raggle Taggle Nein Danke" and "Keep Music Evil" being 2 popular examples ) but one particularly memorable one was a picture of Peter Lilley & Michael Portillo involved in some salacious behaviour, with an equally profane slogan underneath, which Cathal gleefully wore whilst running around Maggie's then-back yard - the "Aryan Slimezone" of Dulwich Village park - an excerpt of tour diaries from the Guardian from that period can be found here:

http://www.cathalcoughlan.com/cc.mv?view+109822204323255

Some may find the jaundiced take on the world a bit much - but he was VERY tired......

I stood behind some long haired idiot in the queue at Virgin, Camden a little while back. He was going on about writing songs that "are a little bit Manic Nirvana, a little bit Physical Graffiti" and all I could think of was "you tw*t".

Then he turned around and it was Robert Plant. I almost apologised for even having thought those thoughts.

He's still a bit of an idiot, but one of the greats and no denying!!

I saw him at a festival in Bristol a couple of years back, because his back up band were basically the guys from Portishead (Bristol lads), and he kept on saying "Bristol" to the crowd to get the easy cheer... I think he actually told us his nan was from there, so that was good enough for them, he's claimed as their own! :-S

For the record, his new stuff is rubbish, but when the riff to Whole lotta love started, the crowd went wild! >:D<