ED primary school admissions 2013 and bulge classes

jaycee

OK, so rumour has it that if a school has a bulge class, two or three years down the line there are so many places automatically allocated to siblings that it makes it difficult for anyone else to gain a place.

So what does this mean for parents who will be applying for reception starting 2013, as according to my research from Southwark:

In 2009/10 we had 3 bulge classes - Crampton (30 places), Goodrich (30) and Lyndhurst (15)

In 2010/11 we had 4 bulge classes - Brunswick Park (15), Heber (30), Rye Oak (30) and St Anthony's (15) and two permanent enlargements Lyndhurst (15 - permenant) and Michael Faraday (15- permenant)

In 2011/12 there was a whopping 9 bulge classes - Bessemer Grange(30), Alma(30), Camelot(15), Dulwich Village Infants(30), Keyworth(30), St. Anthonys(15), St J and St C(30).

These are Southwark schools, but include (highlighted) all the ED schools. I've also heard once a school has bulged, it cannot bulge again for another 3 years - which surely means admissions are going to very tight in 2013?

Any thoughts/ further information?

Goose Green also bulged in 2011/12. A school can clearly only bulge if it has the physical space to accommodate an extra class. If it has the space there is nothing to stop a school bulging two years running if it wants to. The problem is that most schools round here don't have much space. But Southwark will have to find places for the 2012/13 and 2013/14 kids somewhere. Sorry that this isn't more reassuring! But your child will get a place and even the previously less favoured schools locally seem very much on the up.

Yes, I missed out Goose Green, our closet school (250mtrs)! I would be happy to get into any ED school but it seems that may be tricky, now. The only one not bulged in the area is Dog Kennel Hill. Horniman also bulged 11/12 apparently and Fairlawn also did in the last few years (in case we decide to move nearer these).

I think you will find the la convinces schools to bulge again. Whereas on the first round it was spare classrooms being used, perhaps used for breakfast club, art etc ... Second time round it will be things like losing it rooms, partitioning halls, placing portacabins in playgrounds

In the la where I work, officers keep returning to schools to search them for any undeclared space!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vik, letters go to all schools to find out if they are willing are bulge and then they are assessed for suitability. Not all schools are willing and some of the willing ones haven't got the capacity. There is no rule as to how frequently a school bulges, it is space/facility/demand based. Once all the number crunching is done, it is possible that more bulges are needed.

One big issue is late applications. If your child is 4 by the 1st September and you haven't applied, apply NOW! If you think you have forgotten to tick the sibling box, let Southwark admissions know ASAP.

Renata