Too many people burning wood in Dulwich - Southwark needs to enforce Clean Air Act

Thanks Nigello

I had a quick look at the site, but does miscanthus produce lower levels of particulate matter when burned? or is it purely more eco from a growing perspective?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll say it again -- try miscanthus.

> https://www.terravesta.com (I have no connection

> to this firm about from having bought its products

> and liked them.)

Thanks for that - would seem its not a better solution.

I don't have a woodburner, so won't be burning anything, but I do think that its a hard sell to stop people once they have one - the views on this thread have backed that up, in a 'its actually very environmentally friendly' kind of way. Its understandable given the marketing around these burners that people would be under the misapprehension that they were not 'polluting'. 2030 is a long long way off and the damage to ours and our childrens lungs is happening now. I was just trying to see if there was a 'better' interim step for people given the likely reluctance to stop using something that's 'allowed'!

Rosetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yesterday I noticed a very strong smell of

> woodsmoke on Oglander Road at the Grove Vale end.

>

> It was impossible to see where it was coming from

> though.

>

> It was very unpleasant.

Woodsmoke has a really nice smell.

Are you absolute sure that this unpleasant smell came from burning wood?

goldilocks - absolutely - once people have spent thousands on a stove it is unlikely that they will stop burning.

Unfortunately I just can't see an interim solution. Defra-approved stoves (the ones mainly used) give as much particulates as 33 modern cars!

But this is with dry wood and in lab conditions. I.e that is the best they can possibly be.

If I had bought a stove and then found out what I know now (my sister's in this boat) I would put it down to an expensive mistake and use it as an ornament. Stoves can fill the owners homes with particulates and it's like getting kids to passive smoke - and a few grand is not much in the scheme of things. But of course I don't expect most people would do this. I suppose they could use it less though. And try to avoid it in cold, still weather - when the pollution is held at ground level (although this beats the object).

The only answer is legislation. But like you said this could take years and meanwhile the damage is happening now. All I can think of is to put pressure on MPs/Councillors/ Mayors office - let them know that people actually care. So far the issue has been going under the radar. Expert groups have warned Defra and the Mayor but they appear to have been ignored and the public is really quiet on this. The problem is set to get worse as stove sales are growing and they last for decades and are often sold with the house...

British Medical Journal have an interesting (depressing) article and comment on the need for legislation https://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k167/rr-3

For my own preservation, I'm just going to stay out of London next winter.