Right Wingers are less intelligent...

Huguenot

Here's the full text, but in the meantime here's the abstract:

"Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models."

indiepanda, I think it identifies a relatioship between cognitive ability and social outlook - in other words the dafter you are, the more your struggle with complex reasoning, and the more likely to are to veer towards absolutist dogmas. It's the simplicity of right wing iedologies that appeals to the dafties.

Hence it's generally the really daft ones who get involve in really daft right wing ideologies like the BNP.

However, it's all about variations about the norm, so it's not saying that intelligent people aren't right wing - its just saying that right wingers have a greater propensity to be daft than left wingers...

I thought the basic premise of this study - i.e. that prejudiced = right wing, to be a bit of a basic flaw. 'Far right', then they may have point, but to that I'd say far left people are equally moronic.

But maybe that's because I actually believe that far left and far right are actually pretty close to each other. Almost like the political landscape is a big circle. Which is why a lot of BNP support comes from traditional Labour voters.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought the basic premise of this study - i.e.

> that prejudiced = right wing, to be a bit of a

> basic flaw. 'Far right', then they may have

> point, but to that I'd say far left people are

> equally moronic.

>

> But maybe that's because I actually believe that

> far left and far right are actually pretty close

> to each other. Almost like the political landscape

> is a big circle. Which is why a lot of BNP

> support comes from traditional Labour voters.

I agree, I can remember studying politics for a term at university and the observation being made that it was pretty hard to tell the difference between far right countries like Nazi germany and far left communist states in the way people were treated, especially any minority groups.

I think suggesting prejudice is linked to lack of intelligence would be a rather less controversial statement than suggesting it's right wing = lack of intelligence.

I think that probably reflects how little useful purpose labels such as right and left serve in this day and age.

For starters identifying right-wing authoritariansim as being right-wing is a bit of a duh moment in itself. Mind you, extremist authoritarianism of all ilks is probably all pretty similar in practice.

Never mind whether you've come about it via 'might makes right' or 'the proletariat should control the means of production' if you're going to just going to put a bullet in the back of the neck of anyone who disagrees.

I do think, instinctively speaking, that there's probably some truth about simple answers appealling more to those with lower cognitive ability, but that's just another duh moment isn't it.

Plus alot of it may be less to do with congitive ablilty and more to do with social conditioning and poverty of opportunity. There were plenty of lads at my school who came from the poorer estates who were pretty much written off as worth botheringing with despite the fact that they were intelligent people.

I'm pretty sure most of them are in the same poor estates, metaphorically scratching their balls, getting their opinions from the Sun, which was a pity because a few of them were very bright indeed.

I do recall losing some as friends as we passed out of our early teens when they had a certain spark crushed out of them by an unholy coalition of an uncaring education system and fathers who told them not to get stupid ideas in their heads (like doing well at school, or enjoying artistic expression and the like).

And I guess that will lend itself to a more insular world view and distrust of outsiders that could be characterised as social conservatism and could easily spill over into prejudice.

There's probably some interesting food for thought deep within the bowels of the study but I can't help feeling they've got it all rather arse about face. I don't think calling 'right wing' people stupid is particularly helpful though.

the far left and far right are actually pretty close to each other

Completely agree - often we see the far right actually opposing/supporting and generally agreeing with the same thing as the loony trots.

It may not be for the same reasons, and it may not even be a conscious thing to them, but it happens a lot.

I don't think it was politically motivated like that.

It simply shows a correlation between low cognitive ability, social conservatism, authoritarianism and prejudice.

It points out that the correlation was clear in large scale studies in both the UK and the US.

Could it be that this is less to do with cognitive ability and more to do with congnitive functioning?

In other words if you spend a lot of time being trained to think in simplistic terms and not to question ideas for yourself (is indoctrination too harsh a word for this) that one's neural pathways end up stuck in lack-of-critical-thought gear and will persist the prejudice handed down by parents or influential peers at critical developmental stages?

Or do I lend this paper with too much plausability, or should I just go 'wot brendan sed'.

El Pibe, have you ever come across the Pygmalion Effect?

In Rosenthal's original experiment an entire school year had their IQ's tested. Teachers were then lead to believe they had been given the names of those obtaining the highest scores. In fact these children had been chosen at random. At the end of the year they were all given the same test again. The children falsely identified as gifted, obtained scores on average 15 points higher than the rest.

I also came across The Perils and Promise of Praise recently all of which pretty much backs up what you're saying.

HAL9000, the IE hoax you refer to was a PR stunt by a non existent company where no study took place. The suckers were mainstream media.

Conversely there is no questioning that these studies took place and are already documented. The analysis took place in an established recognised academic institution, and was published in a peer reviewed magazine.

Given that you believe the most ridiculous hoaxes are true, it comes as no surprise that you consider the most robust of cases to be hoaxes.

El Pibe, I guess it is more than likely given the supporting studies such as those Nashoi mentioned (plus many others) that these behaviours are nurture rather than nature.

However, the paper doesn't make that call, it simply observes that people with impaired cognitive processes (ie either latent ability or simply acquired skills) are disproportionately represented in people that have right wing tendencies from social conservatism right the way through to racism and homophobia.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> Probably explains why the Tory's economic policies

> is so thin on details.

Whereas Labour did such a great job overspending for years when the economy was booming, hmm?

Even my right wing parents taught me saving a bit of money for a rainy day was a good idea.

I suspect that part of the reason for this is that thick people buy tabloids and The Mail, and because they are thick, they don't question anything, they take what is printed as gospel truth, and as a result, end up with right wing ideals.

indiepanda Wrote:

> Whereas Labour did such a great job overspending

> for years when the economy was booming, hmm?

>

> Even my right wing parents taught me saving a bit

> of money for a rainy day was a good idea.

I think Labour was right to renew schools and hospitals.

Since when did the Tories had enough money to put away?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/photobylines/2011/2/22/1298400212637/Budget-deficits-graphic-008.jpg