secondary school place announcements - how?

Mrs TP

Reading these posts brings back hideous memories of this time last year when we were in the position of having no place at any of our six schools. My son's two best friends were in exactly the same position - it does seem that boys fare worse. Of this gang of 3 one did get his 3rd choice (through the waiting list and when an admin error came to light), the second went to Deptford green and is very happy there - the school is about to move into a fab new building which is apparently very well resourced. I think the school is slightly disadvantaged by it's close proximity to Askes but it was good enough for Bill Gates to visit recently ... As for us, well we spent my redundancy money on a private school place and have since managed to move my son to the school we originally wanted. One way or another things have sorted themselves out but my heart goes out to you. There is no parental choice - or perhaps parental choice has created this chaos in the first place. In reality it is more of a lucky dip unless you live in the catchment area of a good school that allocates places by distance.

James Barber posted this previously........

* All Southwark secondary school applicants have been offered a place for September 2012

Can I ask WHO provided you with this information? It is incorrect. My friend's child has yet to receive

a letter and the email said, we are unable to offer you a school place at this time..........????

Hi FatherJack,

firstly, is your friend a Southwark resident?

secondly, did they apply on time?

Did they receive a letter saying they hadn't got a school place offered? The email may be the one that is sent out in the Londonwide process. They may have not been successful in obtaining a place at a school on their CAF form, but all on-time Southwark applicants were offered a secondary school place this year.

Renata

Renata

Yes my friend is a Southwark resident, hence why I quoted Mr Barber's response re Southwark applicants.

Yes, applied on line in time, hence the email reply.

And as I wrote previously no letter received as yet.

This on time Southwark resident/applicant has yet to be offered a school place.

Could it be that Southwark have provided you/Southwark News with duff information?

Hi FatherJack, your friend should have received a letter by post on Friday 2nd March with a school offer. The email implies that they weren't successful in obtaining a school that they applied for. Please ask them to contact me with their address details, child's name and DOB and schools applied for and I will investigate it tomorrow. It's important that this is sorted out quickly as the first round responses need to be in by the end of the week.

Renata

See below............

Re: East Dulwich councillor - can I help?

Posted by: James Barber Today, 05:01PM

Hi FatherJack,

Have made contact and trying to help this family.

Council officers have agreed they weren't offered a place. So I've asked what will happen for this family. What is being done to search for others that mgiht have been missed and when will a revised press release be issued which might encourage other families to come forward who havent been offered a place.

--------------------

Regards [email protected]

07903 964130

Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward

[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]

[twitter.com]

It does seem you were provided with duff information afterall, who'd have thought that of Southwark Education Services?