Moving to ED

Gingerbeer

• 1 month later...
So... This past Monday marked the beginning of RAGBRAI here in Iowa. This is the Register's (that would be the Des Moines Register) Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. Interesting factoids here ~~~> http://ragbrai.com/routemaps/2012-interactive-maps/ With a route that averages 470 miles (760km), it is the longest, and arguably the hottest (it will be 108 degrees tomorrow) ride in the world. While there are usually a handful of professional cyclists, the majority of people who ride are just average schmoes looking to challenge themselves. (See attached picture of said schmoes) Which brings me to my question: Does the UK have anything similar to this? A challenging walk/race/ride that *normal* people do just to see if they can?

Pfft!! We got the 'lympics! Weeks of travel chaos and patronising messages from the Mayor of London and Lord Coe of Zurich.

You will note the ommision of the "O" from 'lympics. This is because only Coca-Cola and McDonalds are allowed to use the "O" word as they paid over huge amounts of dosh in brown paper envelopes to a strangely anonymous Swiss bloke.

Anybody else using the "O" word will have the branding Nazis kicking down their door and subjecting them to cruel and unusual treatments.

Gingerbeer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does the UK have

> anything similar to this? A challenging

> walk/race/ride that *normal* people do just to see

> if they can?

London Marathon would probably meet the description...

London to Brighton is pretty popular though only about 70 miles.

I've known a few people to do John O'Groats to Lands End (or vice versa) but that's more of an individual challenge than an event, a bit like cross channel swimming in that respect I guess. Mind you someone dropped dead in sight of the beach the other day so not sure I'd recommend that one.

In fact given my general levels of torpor I wouldn't recommend anything much when it comes to exercise. A nice game of cricket perhaps?

Sorry...you did ask though.

I seem to recall in my ancestral memory somewhere that it has happened, but there's nothing regularly organised.

Incidentally whilst having a little dig I unearthed that philippe croizon became the first quadruple amputee to swim the channel in 2010. Blimey, now that's quite something!!!!

Gingerbeer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So...

> Does the UK have

> anything similar to this? A challenging

> walk/race/ride that *normal* people do just to see

> if they can?

Plenty of arduous and semi-arduouos treks to do - (though not many in the masses-of-folk-doing-it-together vein unless you have a large group of friends) - like the Penine Way, Three Peaks Challenge, Offa's Dyke, Hadrian's Wall etc. ... or if you have a few years to spare you could try doing The Munros.

There are some 500 peaks in Scotland over 3000ft in height and climbing all of them counts as having 'done' the Munros. Like stamp collecting for people with iron thighs.

• 4 weeks later...