Moving to ED

Gingerbeer

Michael Pemulis is a character in the book Infinite Jest.

I would just like to clarify that despite my name, I am not in fact a ginger. Technically speaking Im a daywalker thank you very much.

I never knew London had such a giant fox population (this makes me wonder if I should continue wearing my "Forever a FOX (lcfc) t shirt). In San Diego cats had to avoid coyotes and you would just pray they didnt drag an opossum inside. This should prove interesting.

I was once called a magical harpy, so maybe combined with a daywalker, I actually AM mythical.

Does ED have any good townie bars? I assume they exist but under some other name... Here a townie bar is where the locals, mostly old men, many alcoholics, spend their days. They are mostly dim and shabby (the bar, not the people... well, maybe it applies to both), but have a good jukebox and sometimes a pool table, and always good drink specials.

Gingers - old style local boozers are a dying breed in these parts. One of the last (Crystal Palace Tavern aka the CPT) is re-opening tonight after a refurb and the Uplands pub became The Actress and starting serving (rather good) pizza.

The last old style boozer in the immediate area is The Castle.

Having said that, we arent short of pubs and bars.

Gingers, ask as many ricidudolous questions as you wish dear lady, somebody will always reply. We like talking about ourselves. Indeed, the success of this Forum is based on that very premise.

However, I have spent a most entertaining evening in a reborn pub with a group of most engaging Forumites and so must now retire to bed.

I am spannered and its a school night.

Gingerbeer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hope everyone understands I fully intend to keep

> asking ridiculous questions until I move. I assume

> responses will die out long before then. If only I

> could move sooner... you people and your damn

> immigration laws!

What do you mean by damn immigration laws? You are coming over as a student so what problems are you encountering?

I would like to come in May and get settled before school starts, but since Im not allowed to work its not possible. As much as I would love to claim to be independently wealthy, alas I am not. Its not really a problem per se, it just doesnt coincide with my own wishes.:)

Massive, massive (ungodly) amounts of loans, Gidget. I can work once school starts, just not before. But dont worry, Im a shameless bleeding heart :)) It was never my intention to have pets, and as provisional as they were, I take prodigious care of my furry hot water bottles and future scarf/mitten set.

LLLL (sorry there isnt a pound sign on my laptop-- well there probably is but Im not up to finding it right now) I looked at several neighborhoods and ED seemed to be what I was most looking for: lots of green spaces, slightly quirkly, not terribly far from school, relatively affordable, and it seemed a tightly enough knit community that people might actually look you in the eye or say hello when they pass you on the street. That was something I missed living in San Diego-- much different from Iowa. Now if thats not the case Ill be midly disappointed but it wont have me weeping into my pillow at night.

Thanks for the translation on septic, I was like what the hell did they just call me!?

Gingerbeer Wrote:

> LLLL (sorry there isnt a pound sign on my laptop--

> well there probably is but Im not up to finding it

> right now) I looked at several neighborhoods and

> ED seemed to be what I was most looking for: lots

> of green spaces, slightly quirkly, not terribly

> far from school, relatively affordable, and it

> seemed a tightly enough knit community that people

> might actually look you in the eye or say hello

> when they pass you on the street.

....and East Dulwich has what many other parts of London don't have. An active online forum. What an amazing stroke of serendipity!!!

So are there large St. Patrick's Day celebrations this weekend in ED? It is huge here! All major cities have parades, we dye all our cheap American beer green, San Diego carpets its downtown streets in green astro-turf, Chicago dyes its river green, New Orleans... well its just another day to party. And douchebags everywhere pull out the pickup line:

"Do you have any Irish in you?"

"No"

"Would you like some in you?"

The general motto is everyone is Irish on St. Pattys day. Im pulling out my kitschy shamrock mardi gras beads now... Caught not earned mind you!

Gingerbeer Wrote:

> ED seemed to be what I was most looking for: lots

> of green spaces, slightly quirkly, not terribly

> far from school, relatively affordable, and it

> seemed a tightly enough knit community that people

> might actually look you in the eye or say hello

> when they pass you on the street.

Blown it.