-------------------------------------------------------

> The moment well to do (and let?s face it) mostly

> white people miraculously ?discover? previously

> ?neglected? working class London neighbourhoods,

> these issues occur. Twenty years ago no one would

> have dreamt about having a festival in our back

> yard. But surprise, surprise the moment the trendy

> fashionable types want to live in and spend time

> in our neighbourhood, we all have to be ?thankful?

> that a private company is using our public spaces

> to host these events for these people. Regardless

> of the noise and environmental costs for

> residents.

>

> You may think I?m banging the same old drum, but I

> think I have a valid point here. At what stage do

> residents get to have a say on what happens in

> their own back garden? Are our high streets now a

> free for all for out of towners to defecate and

> vomit in after a night of partying? Does our park

> only get partially annexed once a year or maybe in

> time money talks and they can have the whole space

> for various times during the summer?

>

> The old elephant in the room, the G word strikes

> again, but we all have to keep pretending that?s

> not relevant, and that we should all be grateful

> people come here to have fun and new

> shops/restaurants should now only cater for their

> tastes and not anyone else.

>

> Louisa.

So if rich white people are the problem

And the consequences could be untold sh*tting in the street, ethnic minorities and working class people being unable to buy anything or eat out and the loss of all the park

What?s the answer?

I?ve heard horror stories about the shoreditchification of the area around PR station. Out of towners weeing in the streets after a night on the tiles. It?s disrespectful when others have to live and work in the area.

I don?t know what the answer is, but I know that everyone should be made to feel welcome, and not excluded. But the reality is money talks. And if businesses and events think they can attract a certain audience to a certain location based on the notion of a neighbourhood suddenly being ?discovered? and ?cool?, they?ll bang that drum (no pun intended), and rinse that pound note for all its worth. The least the council can do is be a bit more understanding to those who live and work nearby, whoever they may be. We can?t stop the G word, but we can manage the negative side effects surely?

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> I?ve heard horror stories about the

> shoreditchification of the area around PR station.

> Out of towners weeing in the streets after a night

> on the tiles. It?s disrespectful when others have

> to live and work in the area.

>

> I don?t know what the answer is

Portaloos maybe?

Loutwo Wrote:

> What on earth is a portaloo? Like those things

> used on building sites?

>

> Louisa.

Yeah and at festivals funnily enough

You get urinal ones out on the street in shoreditch and soho etc, that are just put out on busy nights (probably)

But that?s a city-wide issue, not just in your neighbourhood! Hackney, Tottenham, Brixton... So where is it acceptable for a festival to take place in london? Just looking at posters on my home from work, they seem to be advertising festivals in all corners of London so someone will always be pi$$ed off somewhere. It?s a couple of days a year where people can enjoy a festival atmosphere locally which is a great thing.

first mate Wrote:

> Pk, let us agree to differ; you think residents

> who found the sound levels uncomfortable should be

> ignored, I think

> some sort of compromise should be explored for

> next year.

Or to put it another way:

I think is that talk of forcing people out of their homes at great expense, suggestions that people are trying to tell people who know what circles are that they?re squares and that people are being subjected to torturous noise abuse is over the top and takes away from any sensible message

You think it?s useful commentary, apparently

But agree, let?s agree to differ

I don't know the figures for this year, but last year 60% of tickets were sold to people who lived in local postcodes. Last year the local train services weren't running all weekend due to engineering works and this led to a lot of concerns about dispersal. What was discovered was that many of the attendees walked home!

Renata

The Jam on the Rye festival on Monday had discounted tickets for locals ?20 - all you needed was to bring proof of address. I went on Monday and it was a nice vibe not too big. We left Before 10pm and couldn?t hear anything when we got home (we love on Cheltenham road next to the park). Will definitely go again.

The festivals are two days of the year and don?t take over the entire park, and I believe this falls over half term so any late nights for kids on those days can?t be too bad. I fully support them being run

Rather like your hyperbole about uptight, over- entitled nimbys.

pk Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Pk, let us agree to differ; you think residents

> > who found the sound levels uncomfortable should

> be

> > ignored, I think

> > some sort of compromise should be explored for

> > next year.

>

> Or to put it another way:

>

> I think is that talk of forcing people out of

> their homes at great expense, suggestions that

> people are trying to tell people who know what

> circles are that they?re squares and that people

> are being subjected to torturous noise abuse is

> over the top and takes away from any sensible

> message

>

> You think it?s useful commentary, apparently

>

> But agree, let?s agree to differ

I do wish people would stop moaning about this. Its a couple of days and thats all.

They have many more festival style events in Victoria Park, and when I was a child living in W2 in the 60's and 70's we had the Hyde Park free festivals and of course Notting Hill carnival.

I don't remember my parents wringing their hands over the noise -in fact mum and dad remained in the area until they died in the 2000's and carnival was a lot more noisy and crazy than when I was a nipper but even in their 80's they accepted it was a community event enjoyed by many and only lasted 2 days.

Also these events fall on Bank holidays when Kids are on holiday from school, the wealthy always left Notting hill when carnival weekend comes-If the noise from a festival that ends at 10.30 pm bothers you that much go away if you can afford to or accept it.

it isn't every day it isn't every weekend

first mate Wrote:

> Rather like your hyperbole about uptight, over-

> entitled nimbys.

>

>

Not at all

I thought you?d decided to agree to differ

Or was that only if you get the last word?

The festival is long gone but the barricades remain.

Lots of things for local councillors to take into account when considering any repeat or anything similar:

1. Does it really take the closure of a LARGE, well used part of the park for 12 days for a 2 day festival?

2. Is it even right that a public resource like the park be used for a very exclusive event run solely for private profit?

3. Various noise issues raised.

4. Damage to the park from last year not yet repaired - is it going to be handled better this year?

5. There's a distinct lack of transparency on where the money goes and who's really benefitting e.g. did Southwark Council just cut the parks budget by the amount that they expected the festival to raise?

It was also disappointing to hear quite a few voices raised along the lines of 'we want a festival and we're having one and if you don't like it we don't care, shut up, it's your problem'. Not very friendly, reasonable or tolerant and probably only likely to increase the ire of those who objected to the festival in the first place. Everybody effected by the festival or with an interest in the area/park has a right to be heard whether you, reader, agree with them or not. Trying to harass people into silence is unlikely to have the effect you desire.

Not sure who said ?we?re having a festival and if you don?t like it we don?t care?

There was extensive consultation before this year?s festival took place, albeit that all the public consultation meetings were dominated by older, whiter residents who seemed to be part of a determined organised mob intent on trying to stop the Festival happening at all.

This event uses about 20% of the park space for one weekend a year - or about slightly less than half a percent of available park space.

And the part of the park used is actually the least used part which typically has about 4 dog walkers using it any particular time. Sometimes they pick up their dogs doings afterwards 😉

And it brings in money that is used to cover the cost of events like firework displays which reduce the risk from unregulated fireworks going off in our streets

The noise levels are monitored and apparently within agreed limits?

There was absolutely no trouble at the Festival when I was there - just a very friendly inclusive atmosphere

People who attended were young, old, women, men, children and drawn from all parts of the community.

Although I only went on Monday, Kelis was superb.

Yet still NIMBYs moan on about non-existent problems.

Sigh

I didn't hear a thing, though I did last year, so that is a success. Having that section of the park sectioned off for a weekend would be ok, but it is not a weekend - it is at least a week. Money is needed for services and people like music, all I ask is that optimum results be achieved for those who go to the concert, those who use the park and those who live nearby. (There will likely be some overlap so it is not a zero-sum game.) It needn't be an exercise is umbrage and antagonism.

The panelling was tagged almost within a day of its being put up, which was ugly and, well, expected. It doesn't mean though that it should be accepted.

Turn the volume down just ten or fifteen percent and it is likely that the music will sound better and people living nearby will be more accepting.

Let the council be explicit in how much money it raises and where it actually goes, publish that on forums like this and in the local press.

first mate Wrote:

> Food for thought:

> https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/31/lon

> dons-parks-accused-of-creeping-privatisation-of-pu

> blic-spaces

So basically it says that festivals and events are an inevitable reality of London park life

And that we get off lightly compared to Lambeth, Lewisham, Greenwich and most other places

187 days of restrictions on blackheath!!

pk Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Food for thought:

> >

> https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/31/lon

>

> >

> dons-parks-accused-of-creeping-privatisation-of-pu

>

> > blic-spaces

>

>

> So basically it says that festivals and events are

> an inevitable reality of London park life

>

> And that we get off lightly compared to Lambeth,

> Lewisham, Greenwich and most other places

>

> 187 days of restrictions on blackheath!!

What a terrible shame. We need to rely on investment from private firms to ensure our parks are sustainable, and we should be grateful we don?t have the number of restricted days some other boroughs parks have.

Very depressing future for our public spaces. And it seems the council and elected councillors support this move too.

Sad.

Louisa.