-------------------------------------------------------

> When

> Tyler the creator was allowed back into the

> country having been banned by Theresa May he

> didn't bowl up in some shoozy club in the west end

> , he chose Peckham. Peckham is where it's at and

> we should have an annual festival that celebrates

> that

Preferably not with a homophobic arsehole like Tyler though.

amandao Wrote:

> As a relatively laid back family living on the

> opposite side of the park we were surprised last

> year to have seen no sign of the consultation that

> Gala claimed had been issued to residents. But

> nevertheless we had a warm summer evening

> listening to festival tunes in the back garden.

> This year, no consultation and the noise level is

> phenomenal- triple glassed glass, TV on and we

> can?t hear it. And not only that, some high

> visibility person just asked me to step off the

> pathway across the Rye from the Clock to walk in

> the grass in my four inch heels - apparently I was

> going to get mown down by the cars flooding in to

> the park should I dare to walk on the

> PAVEMENT..... Glad to say I?m still alive and well

> and living on Peckham Rye....albeit, there?s no

> chance of me and the kids sleeping tonight. I did

> wonder why my neighbours had made a mass exodus

> two days ago. Maybe if I was still 17 and talking

> drugs....

You don?t sound terribly laid back... 🙄

Only ?2 per hour - that?s not even the cost of a coffee in the cafe in the park

At ?5 per hour there would be more money and we could have more than one measly festival

Can?t wait for this evening though - brilliant to have acts like these a short walk from home

We live on the other side of the park from the festival. It's Monday evening as I type. It's REALLY noisy even behind closed double glazed windows. We attended meetings about this and the organisers said they would lift the speakers and aim them down. Methinks the sound is bouncing right out again! Anyway, personally I think a park in a residential area such as this, with housing so close to anywhere that the festival might be based, is inappropriate. But it is happening. Please email [email protected] if you think it is wonderful or too darn noisy. They need to have feedback. (Edited to give a better email address)

Done.

Without wanting to sound like a miserable old party pooper (fair description to be fair)...it?s the sudden EVEN LOUDER bursts of shite sounds that?s so annoying.

Fine if you like tone deaf pounding for 2 days, torture if you don?t!

After reading some of the comments on this thread, I've just been round the festival site and some other streets with a sound monitor on my phone (I can't judge how accurate it is). If my monitor is accurate, at the loudest point, directly in front of Harris Girls' school it was peaking around 70db. There does seem to possibly be some funneling effect to higher points which aren't right by the park. The west side seemed to be quieter than the east even though the site is on the west side of the park. I will report my findings. If you are affected by the noise please email me so that I can pass this information on.

I did mention this before, the payment to Southwark is ring fenced to fund free public events in Southwark's Parks.

I found Sunday far worse than today. It seems to be the more bass heavy sets that cause the worst difficulties. some of the more repetitive electronic music yesterday was fairly torturous. Probably fine if you are in the festival itself but from the east side of the park it was not very pleasant.I always feel like that style of music is better in a club environment and suspect that it has to be cranked up to try to make it work in an outdoors area.

I like to see the park being used and had hoped that with the promise to direct the speakers down it would help. maybe if it's to happen next year it needs to be a much shorter period. Having the Sunday and Monday is a pain. If it is going to be 2 days why can't it be the Saturday and Sunday so everyone can have a nice relaxing Monday before the majority return to work.

Renata whilst I understand that you are keen to bring in revenue why does it go to the whole of Southwark parks service If it's impacting on residents near Peckham rye could it not be ringfenced for Peckham rye. I saw no increase in general upkeep of our park this year and personally the promise of a firework display in Southwark park doesn't really interst me. It's really awkward to get there from this area Can you tell us how much of last years event went directly to peckham rye park and what this years money will be used for?

People don't always lose by sharing. There's a Fun Fair in Burgess Park at the moment. Huge, noisy etc. Some of the money brought in by that may be spent in Peckham Rye Park -- we've just had a new playground which is very popular and ugly tarmacked areas have been grassed over -- gone forever. Maybe it's our turn to make money to benefit others.

Free firework displays save lives -- surely good even if we don't go to them ourselves.

malleymoo, I love music but feel sorry for residents who have had to endure what might be termed noise pollution to the extent that some have been forced to leave their homes for the duration. I think it is one of those cases where the council and its supporters are so convinced they are 'right' that they try to persuade us square is round.

Went yesterday and saw a diverse spectrum of South East London coming together and having a great time.

No attitude, trouble or bad vibes. Events like this should be embraced and supported, i actually feel sorry for people who disagree on the basis that there was a bit of noise coming from a music festival. Get over it!

traders pay massive fees to cover festivals and I'm sure that's a big part of pricing for beer and food.

pat-down is probably an obligation on the organisers in order to get permission to hold the festival, but surely it makes sense to protect people / families as far as possible from drug behaviours/outfall.

a reputation for no pat-down won't benefit anyone will it ?

Humdinger Wrote:

> ?5 for a small can of beer

The thing is with Jam On Rye is that it's billed as a food festival as well as a music festival, so not surprised that the beers available are the ?5-a-can craft beers rather than cheaper mass produced varieties. But it would be good if there was a choice.

No doubt the cheaper mass produced varieties would have been just as pricey! The main beer supplier was Fullers, who arent exactly local independent craft beer brewers. they are a very large, mass producing brewery owned by a behemouth Japanese company (Asahi) that controls large amounts of the worlds beer.

The event had no impact on me but I think you should be a little more understanding of the major, negative effects unwelcome, high level noise can have, especially bass noise. Residents living close by have no choice in the matter, unless of course you feel that in order for you to have a good time they should be forced to vacate their properties for the whole of the bank holiday and pay up to stay somewhere else?

The organisers have to come up with a way to protect residents from excessive noise and perhaps those attending should accept they cannot expect club volumes at an outdoor event, at least not at this one.

Humdinger Wrote:

> Went yesterday and saw a diverse spectrum of South

> East London coming together and having a great

> time.

>

> No attitude, trouble or bad vibes. Events like

> this should be embraced and supported, i actually

> feel sorry for people who disagree on the basis

> that there was a bit of noise coming from a music

> festival. Get over it!

Went on Saturday, great event, great music (subjective I appreciate, obvs) really nice crowd, great atmosphere, well run.

To go to something as good as this and walk home in a couple of minutes was a treat.

If we got rid of everything that 'some' people don't like, there'd be nothing left at all. 10ish is a fair cut-off. Neighbours regularly have parties that go on longer with relatively more disturbance - not that we mind those either (especially if we're invited).