Gala festival in Peckham Rye park

Really Beej? I don't have any tickets (sold out).

This is what I wrote originally but people seem not to have noticed:

"I wouldn't mind if they closed the park the night before the festival or even the day before and took the stuff away the day afterwards, but no, hand the whole public space over for almost 2 weeks to a private company."

Having said that, almost everyone I've spoken to in the park is less than impressed with the barricades...etc.

Here you go DoctorM the fun Doc......there are still tickets (it's just the Gala sold out as already pointed out)

https://www.jamonryefestival.com/tickets

Or if you are a resident then you can get free tickets by emailing

[email protected]

Give it a go. Maybe help you to stop being such a Debbie Downer

Alternatively maybe wander around being grumpy in a different part of the park given that the majority of it isn't involved?!

DoctorM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really Beej? I don't have any tickets (sold out).

>

> This is what I wrote originally but people seem

> not to have noticed:

>

> "I wouldn't mind if they closed the park the night

> before the festival or even the day before and

> took the stuff away the day afterwards, but no,

> hand the whole public space over for almost 2

> weeks to a private company."

>

> Having said that, almost everyone I've spoken to

> in the park is less than impressed with the

> barricades...etc.

It?s all great unless you?re the one living in close proximity to the noise, mess and damage left behind after the annexed public space has been vacated some 12 days later.

I don?t live immediately nearby though, so why should I care? As long as it doesn?t affect me that?s just fine.

Seems to be the attitude of most people nowadays.

Louisa.

I walk the route where the festival's being held 9/10 days with my dogs. My problem is that the grass and wild bits has more or less only just recovered from last time. The ruts in the grass on the field opposite the boys school were never sorted out. I think it's totally the wrong place to hold it. The fencing looks like a prison perimeter. Not a fan to be honest.

Anyone know what time the music goes on until tonight? We live next door and it?s unbearably loud. Wouldn?t usually mind but I can tell I?ve got hours and hours of sitting with a screaming, knackered baby coming up and that?s enough to make anyone a miserable arsehole.

As a relatively laid back family living on the opposite side of the park we were surprised last year to have seen no sign of the consultation that Gala claimed had been issued to residents. But nevertheless we had a warm summer evening listening to festival tunes in the back garden. This year, no consultation and the noise level is phenomenal- triple glassed glass, TV on and we can?t hear it. And not only that, some high visibility person just asked me to step off the pathway across the Rye from the Clock to walk in the grass in my four inch heels - apparently I was going to get mown down by the cars flooding in to the park should I dare to walk on the PAVEMENT..... Glad to say I?m still alive and well and living on Peckham Rye....albeit, there?s no chance of me and the kids sleeping tonight. I did wonder why my neighbours had made a mass exodus two days ago. Maybe if I was still 17 and talking drugs....

Living near Lordship Lane it is completely silent over here. As a former venue manager at festivals I do know what a problem sound spillage can be. The weather tonight isn't helping with gusting wind. All speaker systems should be facing into the park to minimise impact on local residents.

I would suggest asking Cllr Renata Hamvas tomorrow morning for an update on what the decibel readings were tonight - it is normal practice for the council to have noise environment people on site measuring to ensure remains compliant, especially when so close to a residential area.

I think the idea of a festival like this is great for Peckham and the local area . So many of the great London parks are open to festivals now showcasing fantastic music and local produce . South east London is producing so many fine musicians and dj's that a proper annual festival should be there just as a showcase for them . When Tyler the creator was allowed back into the country having been banned by Theresa May he didn't bowl up in some shoozy club in the west end , he chose Peckham. Peckham is where it's at and we should have an annual festival that celebrates that

That's fine so long as there are real benefits to locals and to the long term future of the park, given that no profits from the event are ploughed back into the upkeep of the park,nothere than to allegedly repair damage from the event, which strikes me as bizarre. Let's also see what the state of the park is like after the event this year, given the damage that was done last year.

The park is a place where locals go to enjoy nature and, often, a bit of peace, alongside community sports and leisure activities, largely free of charge. Any money made from these festival events, apart from lining the pockets of private companies, will be going towards mounting similar events in future, sounding like it is intended to privatise this public space more and more frequently. The occasional festival, open to locals and benefitting tbe park is fine but the park is not a space for festivals and increasing private use. There are also many local venues where music can be showcased to those willing to pay.

Agree there should be much greater transparency about the money made and how it is spent and how to ensure the park is reinstated asap if any damage.

that was a real niggle - that the council seemed to be powerless to enforce proper repairs by the festival organisers.