Mooncup?

hi I have used a moon cup, I suffer from endometriosis so found tampons extremely uncomfortsble to use so was reccommended to use one of these.

They do take practice to put in and out but never found it to be as bad as the review makes out. Once its in there you cant tell at all. IT holds a third of your entire blood loss so no worry about making sure its changed every 4 hours, you can do it at your own convenience.

pefect for going swimming, exercising etc as no strings to worry about.

the only problem I had with it was sizing, I used one in my twenties then after I had my baby I threw the old one out and bought the next size up but found that it was too big. I had to go out and buy another smaller one-big mistake as they are about ?20 should have checked if old one was ok first. But other than that I cant fault them at all.

pm me if you want to ask anything else about them.

Fabulously funny review (though not v accurate).

Have used for several years also, they are way more comfortable than tampons, last longer, and can be used at the end of a period with no increased risk of thrush (if your prone worth considering).

Do not mix with booze however...or at least dont try to empty your mooncup while pissed..I made that mistake once.. I came out of the toilet cubicle looking like I'd just killed someone.

VanessaPMR Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

>

> Do not mix with booze however...or at least dont

> try to empty your mooncup while pissed..I made

> that mistake once.. I came out of the toilet

> cubicle looking like I'd just killed someone.

:))

I've been considering using one of these for years too but have always had vision of it falling out and spilling everywhere or something. How embarrassing!! I've thought about the sponges you can get too, but not sure about those either. After giving birth and lengthy fight with doctors I was diagnosed through surgery with endometriosis, I find tampons extremely painful to use, it actually makes me feel like I want to be sick, but I'm not sure I'd feel any different with one of these. Got to do something, relying on sanitary towels for me is not sanitary at all. I just find it, yuck!

I think we need more options.. Pronto!

I didn't read the review fully but the bits I did read sounded like teething problems

I've used one for years and wouldn't use tampons or towels ever again as I now view them as dirty....

once you get the hang of them they are great & it's no more intrusive than a non aplicator tampon. They do take a while to get used to though

OMG snowboarder that review is so funny. Your friend has a brilliant writing style.I was laughing so hard I was crying & couldn't find the words to explain to sensibleman a) Just what a 'mooncup' is (ah bless, he goes a bit white at the mention of 'women's issues')or b) Just why an piece of writing about said mooncup was so funny.

I've been sitting on the fence for a while now but I think, prompted by your friends review and the posts from the lovely women of ED on here, that I will bite the bullet and get one. Thanks for thetop tip about avoiding alcohol though VanessPMR - will take that firmly on board (more sniggering into my cup of tea over that one).

:))

I use it for years and love it.I had to push myself very hard to start using it as the idea of it made me sick a bit.I bought it as my son was in reuseable nappies from day one and I felt I must at least try it...I have never looked back since,but I admit the first time you use it is weird...

I tried the moon cup years and years ago. I thought it was great. It was a bit tricky at first. I think it helps if you're not in a rush when you take it in/out. After I had an IUD inserted, it was advised not to use the moon cup anymore, b/c of a chance of it dislodging the IUD. That was a while ago. Has the advice changed? I thought it seemed fairly unlikely that the moon cup would dislodge an IUD, if the cup were removed properly. Any experience???

I'm feeling a little hasty in my decision...lots of positive reviews here so maybe I'll give it a try :)

Saffron - I found this on the website (I'm in the same position)

IUD/Coil

Hi Cathy, A friend passed on your web link to me - it's amazing. Please can you tell me whether it is perfectly safe to use with the IUD? Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.

With correct positioning and usage the Mooncup can be used by women with an IUD. The IUD expulsion rate for all IUD users is around one in twenty (Mooncup user or not) within five years of the IUD being inserted (NICE guidelines CG30; 2005). You may choose to discuss this with your doctor/nurse/gynaecologist if you have concerns or you feel that your Mooncup may interfere with your IUD strings.

We would recommend;

* When an IUD has first been inserted, you should wait six weeks before using a Mooncup (or any internal sanitary protection)

* Remember to place the Mooncup low in the vagina and ensure you have an adequate seal

* It is important to always release the seal before removing a Mooncup

* After each period, check you can still feel the IUD strings. If you cannot feel them, you should contact your doctor

I love my mooncup. No way would I change to anything else. Although I want mooncup wisdom. I've been using size A for quite a bit past 30 with no problems! But I have now sprogged (VB) and am waiting for my womanly blessing to return. Do I have any chance of my size A still doing the job?

I too love my mooncup and would never revert to other "methods" which now seem odd. Utterly reliable (so much better than tampons) and easy - once you get the hang of it. I did have a bit of trouble at forst couple of gos but now so easy. Brilliant on holiday. Can't recommend highly enough.;

Another vote from me - it can take a bit of practice to get it in place right (the turning thing does help), once you get used to it they are brill, so much cleaner, Eco friendly & economical than other options.

Re the review - very funny but also totally written for the humour value I suspect & I do want to stress you should never just pull the stem to get it out, you must 'break the seal' as per instructions that come with it - pretty obvious really.

Post birth I'd say you may be fine, may need to do some serious pelvic floor exercises before it works well for you - and of course don't use until 2 months plus after birth (hopefully you won't need it for a lot longer than that).

Without wanting to gross anyone out it's amazing & interesting to realise you don't actually bleed as much as you think when you see it caught in the cup (sorry if TMI).

For those who are tempted I'd say go for it, it's just one of those things we have to deal with but in many ways this makes it less of a stress once you've got over any 'teething issues'.

Another vote from me - it can take a bit of practice to get it in place right (the turning thing does help), once you get used to it they are brill, so much cleaner, Eco friendly & economical than other options.

Re the review - very funny but also totally written for the humour value I suspect & I do want to stress you should never just pull the stem to get it out, you must 'break the seal' as per instructions that come with it - pretty obvious really.

Post birth I'd say you may be fine, may need to do some serious pelvic floor exercises before it works well for you - and of course don't use until 2 months plus after birth (hopefully you won't need it for a lot longer than that).

Without wanting to gross anyone out it's amazing & interesting to realise you don't actually bleed as much as you think when you see it caught in the cup (sorry if TMI).

For those who are tempted I'd say go for it, it's just one of those things we have to deal with but in many ways this makes it less of a stress once you've got over any 'teething issues'.