Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

Totally echo SM's thoughts.. Had a great night, great group with lots of chat, food was OK but Surma was better and also better value (not that it was expensive)..

I also have to add not a HUGE selection for vegetarians so I was definitely fed but was pretty limited though.. Good Pinot G though, was most pleased with that wine..

x

Really SM!! I thought it was quite good actually.. Ive now been to Surma, curry cabin and tandoor nights and I thought it came up trumps out of those three..

LG - totally hear you (pardon the pun) on the adventure bar.. music way to loud so poor floating onion had me yelling at him for a good 10 minutes, drinks were OK but no way would I have paid 7 quid for the tiny cocktail I had (i.e. we went in happy hour and got two for 1).. Have to say though they were playing some wicked tunes, bit of jimmy barnes, bit of stevie wonder I loved that bit!!

A good evening with great company, 11 people came along to the Curry Cabin. It was good to see Dulwichmum who stopped by with her husband for drinks at the Adventure Bar. She looked lovely in the sack-cloth and ashes after her recent Jonathon Ross experience.

I had Chicken Pakora to start and that was just piece of chicken tikka fried in batter and nothing to write home about. The Onion Bhaji that I did a swapsie with Lady Gooner for was light and flavoursome.

My Lamb Tikka Dhansak was tough (the lamb not the lentils) although I sneaked a piece of Hannah6_6's Lamb Shank and that was tender and very tasty.

My Sag Aloo seemed to be all Aloo and little Sag.

I took a doggy bag home of Chicken Madras and Vegie Biriani, we will see what a day or so marinading in its spices does to the food.

We paid ?24 each for starters, main course, sides, rice, nan, wine and beer - so good value, although with some reservations about the food.

I havent rated Surma in the past as I have found the food rather unremarkable.

It is ashame that the quality of food at the Cabin has been going downhill recently. I found it to be excellent up until the last two times where the meat has been very chewy. Maybe somebody should finally point them to this thread for feedback. Another local restaurant owner said to me it is because they keep changing chefs ( just like another local place , TPC). That is probably just propaganda though.

I had a lovely time at my first curry club, thanks Mike for organising. Great to see everyone and meet some new people.

LG - I agree far too loud in Adventure Bar especially for early on a Thursday!

I definitely did love my lamb, it was yummy and I think very good value too overall. I'd never been Curry Cabin before so can't compare it but I would go back.

You must have been very lucky at Surma Strawbs as I didn't like it much when I went there either...

Do you think this review is genuine?

-----

Posted by Jack Smith (registered user) on 28 May 2008 17:17

I have been eating curry for a long time, i have been criticising food for 12 years and 8 years professionally. What is it with this place that tickles my taste buds and made me miss my train? I walked into not a restaurant but a rich and vibrant culture. The restaurant is run purely by family and all the customers refer to the waiters by their names. Then i met the owner a smiley, jolly and beautiful man who has so much passion for the trade. My guest and i were entertained by the whole family and the food was cooked for the Moghuls- Definately value for money. The starters were good but the main course were phenominal rich, flavoursom and a joy.

Great stuff Pistachio and well done on your recent award for Distinguished Service and Quality.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/4186.html