Greendale Gardens SE22 - Community Space

Hi Tom,

That land is owned by Southwark Council but leased to Dulwich Hamlets Football Club. The lease can only be taken back from DHFC if they offer it back or the council has a firm use for it. DHFC applied for develope this land for a new football stadium as the lease on their current one was coming to an end. Lots of interest in building on the current stadium for housing.

It took a real determined effort from the community to stop this set of dominos.

To create suggested gardens would be fab but take significant money and political will from ward councillors - its South Camberwell ward. One of the ward councillors is [email protected] the council leader.

Hope this helps give some context Tom.

I'd suggest you create a Friends of Green Dale to develop ideas for the site and get it included in the Area Action Plan for the area which if you like is the development guide.

I think that Peter John should in fact log on here and explain some of the allegations put forward by campaigners for the Heygate area of Elephant and Castle.

My quotes are from campaigners for the Heygate. You are absolutely right, I do not know that they are true. Can I repeat them here? Mr John is an elected official. I am only saying he accepts lunches from developers and likes tall buildings.

These allegations cover in part the nature of buildings proposed, Mr John's cosy relationship with the developers including gifts that might be small: invites to the Olympics for one, but nonetheless should be explained:

Southwark Council has now sold around 12 hectares of prime public-owned land at the Elephant & Castle to Lend Lease. This is an area approximately the same size as Kennington Park. Following an article about Lend Lease's recent conviction for fraud and Peter John's gifts from the developer, local people are starting to ask questions about what the council is getting in return for its commercial interest as land owner?

And Mr John is on record as loving high building.

And its policy on tall buildings is clear: Southwark's leader Peter John recently announced that he 'unashamedly loves tall buildings' and his 'favourite place to visit was New York'. They can be 'beautiful and practical' he went on to say and looks forward to working with Sellar for more tall buildings along St Thomas Street. "If you come to me with an iconic tall building in the right location you will have my support; Southwark is open for business and looking forward to change".

http://heygate.heroku.com/pages

I certainly do not want this piece of land in Southwark built on.

It's not easy to question Mr John and others making high profile decisions in Southwark. It is true that he and others were given their power at the ballot box for their campaign promises. The issue is are they acting on those promises in ways that bear close scrutiny. Are they spending our money, really investing it, for us in infrastructure technology planning architecture design that will bear the test of time. I don't think so. I think the people spending hundreds of millions so casually on landscape changing mega projects should show a tad more humility and reflection on their legacy.

Hi James,

I have context already James.

I am aware of all of the information stated above. I did spend 6 months researching and talking to those in the know. I did in fact contact you several times and heard nothing back last contact was 16th April.

The substantial money needed is not as substantial as you may think, with the right design and the correct marketing of this project it could be almost completely funded by green energy projects and some crowd sourcing. Having 3 backers previously up for it but I was unable to get a single word from Southwark council.

I happy to meet with anyone to share details of the project I planned and thus move this forward again.

T

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Tom,

> That land is owned by Southwark Council but leased

> to Dulwich Hamlets Football Club. The lease can

> only be taken back from DHFC if they offer it back

> or the council has a firm use for it. DHFC applied

> for develope this land for a new football stadium

> as the lease on their current one was coming to an

> end. Lots of interest in building on the current

> stadium for housing.

> It took a real determined effort from the

> community to stop this set of dominos.

> To create suggested gardens would be fab but take

> significant money and political will from ward

> councillors - its South Camberwell ward. One of

> the ward councillors is

> [email protected] the council leader.

>

> Hope this helps give some context Tom.

> I'd suggest you create a Friends of Green Dale to

> develop ideas for the site and get it included in

> the Area Action Plan for the area which if you

> like is the development guide.

Hi,

I could go ahead with the permission of DHFC (the current lease holders) but that would take a miracle. It's unfortunate because it could drive business to DHFC. We wouldn't even need much planning permission as the structures would be moveable.

A gentleman has contacted me from here and has mentioned that there are people who want this and a group has been formed. As I said before I would be happy to sit and discuss.

T

benmorg Wrote:

> Tom, could you just go ahead anyway without

> Southwark's consent? I think a lot of people would

> be glad to help out. Once something is up and

> running, Southwark might be inclined to support

> it.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

There are some new online channels of communication related to this topic so if you are interested have a look. There is a new mailing list for supporters so sign up if you would like to. I will only post round EDF occasionally so you will need to join the supporters list to be kept properly informed.

Blogging: keepinggreendalegreen.tumblr.com

Twittering: twitter.com/GreendaleGarden

Flickring: flickr.com/photos/greendalegardens

Filming: vimeo.com/greendalegardens

Peter John is supportive and we are also talking to other councillors locally. As mentioned, there will be an open meeting sometime soon - do join the supporters list to be kept informed!

Following on from this list, a possibility, as James Barber noted, with sufficient support, is to begin a 'Friends Of' group.

Thanks and hope to see you on the list and online!

• 1 year later...

I notice they have now blocked off the entrance on the Greendale path side of the space. You can still get in via DKH Woods. But only I think because someone has removed some of the new fencing put there.

Anyone know why this is?

There's so much potential for that space. And with planning it could help Dulwich Hamlet too.

keyhole Wrote:

> It is The Chareter school and other schools sports

> fields,as they do not have their own,Jags &

> Alleyns own other fields,,,the children need more

> sports ,free basketball,table tennis etc.

Wrong piece of land Keyhole, this is the overgrown land behind the school sports field, next to the nursery.

From what I understand it is the new owner of DHFC who has closed off the land and the astroturf to the public. It's still used for training.