Why is Dulwich the poor relation?

Guest Filiz Muatafa

Ibo,

I've been in ED 16 years and the day I arrived we searched ED from top to bottom and found the Harvester as our saviour in being the only place in the whole of ED that provided Sunday lunch! Yes it is a pain that parking problems have increased but times move on and, although it was never a dump, I think ED has becomne a much better and more desirable place to live, certainly no shortage of Sunday lunches now.

My home is now worth more than 5 times what I paid for it - and I can't help feeling quite pleased about that,don't think I'm alone in that! if you have not noticed, property prices have gone up all over the place, it is not special to ED.

A few years ago all the butchers, greengrocers etc. started to go out of business and close down, there were loads of boarded up shops on LL etc. Surely it's better to have shops that are open and in business, even if they are quite'poncy' - no-one owns ED, whatever business opens and thrives mnust be serving the needs of the community.

There's hardly any point in even replying to anything Ibo's posted so far, which mostly seems to be the same 12 words shuffled around in various orders. It's like trying to have a discussion with a fruit machine. What's the point?

And;'registered' Bob.. I have my eye on you. There can only be ONE true *Bob*

My Dear Bob,

I am confused by the profusion of Bobs about the forum (registered and unregistered). It is very easy to confuse me at the best of times, and I apologise for that - I have small children and don't get much sleep. I am easily confused anyhow - as I am not very clever to begin with. Hey ho.

I am sorry if I chastised the wrong Bob, it is just that I hate to think of people having carnal knowledge of sheep. It is just not natural if you ask me, and the less said about it, the better. Whichever Bob was talking about Welsh men and their zippers - should put himself on the stool of repentance. There is never any requirement for rudeness!

I'm with dulwichmum when it comes to Wales, it just makes you realise how lucky you are...

About Dulwich, I'm from the area (born in Dulwich Hospital 28 years ago), and my parents and sister still live there. I live up in Sydenham, now, because my other half and I get a much bigger / nicer flat for our rent money than we would down in ED.

I do feel sad that we won't ever be able to afford to buy a place in ED, but at the end of the day, you can't blame the people that have bought the houses, good on them I say. It may have happened slightly earlier in ED, but make no mistake, the prices in Sydenham, Forest Hill and Peckham are all heading the same way!

I do still love Dulwich though, and regularly come down for drinks. I'm a CPT man generally, but have been seen in other places. Must admit I'm not too big a fan of the trendy "bars", but a lot of people are, so good luck to the owners! I do wish Inside 72 was a bit bigger, because they have great music and atmosphere!

I can understand people from the area feeling bitter cos they can't get a house there, I'm in the same boat. But that's life, and it's far too short to be bitter!

Having said all that, my sister told me those new houses where the old barracks used to be are going for between 4 and 5 hundred grand!!!! I thought they were going to be "affordable" housing..... Scary! :-S

Rpike Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh dear...utter ignorance is bliss, isn't it?!

> Tell me, have you ever ventured outside of the

> M25?

>

> A Welshman Happily Settled with English Wife and

> Half Welsh/Half English Daughter in East Dulwich.

Once or twice. Lived in Liverpool for 5 years, and knew a lot of Welsh people who spent a lot of time telling me how sh!t England was, and yet they wouldn't leave.... Go figure :-S

To be fair, Snowdonia is lovely, but I've been to a couple of little villages where I was made to feel really really uncomfortable by the scary locals in the pub who stand around you and start speaking in Welsh!

Good on you for finding a better life! ;-)

I love my ever suffering Welsh husband, but the best thing to come out of Wales (as far as I am concerned) is the M4. Yes Snowdonia is lovely - send us a postcard, I'm off to Cornwall, where they say hello, and goodbye, serve you with a smile, buy a pint when it is their turn, and don't speak Welsh!

Red Cat,

Even if you are a CAT I agree totally with you. Well done. (tu)

Snorky, have a good tour around peckham and see with your own eyes how new expensive buildings are growing up... and refurbishment, so ED and Peckham will be soon at similar level.

However before you use the word rich, maybe you should also take a tour in a place called Montecarlo ?

*Bob* Wrote:

> There's hardly any point in even replying to

> anything Ibo's posted so far, which mostly seems

> to be the same 12 words shuffled around in various

> orders. It's like trying to have a discussion with

> a fruit machine. What's the point?

>

> And;'registered' Bob.. I have my eye on you. There

> can only be ONE true *Bob*

Be fair , it is more than 12 words .

Red_Cat Wrote:

> Ibo,

> I've been in ED 16 years and the day I arrived we

> searched ED from top to bottom and found the

> Harvester as our saviour in being the only place

> in the whole of ED that provided Sunday lunch!

> Yes it is a pain that parking problems have

> increased but times move on and, although it was

> never a dump, I think ED has becomne a much better

> and more desirable place to live, certainly no

> shortage of Sunday lunches now.

> My home is now worth more than 5 times what I paid

> for it - and I can't help feeling quite pleased

> about that,don't think I'm alone in that! if you

> have not noticed, property prices have gone up all

> over the place, it is not special to ED.

> A few years ago all the butchers, greengrocers

> etc. started to go out of business and close down,

> there were loads of boarded up shops on LL etc.

> Surely it's better to have shops that are open and

> in business, even if they are quite'poncy' -

> no-one owns ED, whatever business opens and

> thrives mnust be serving the needs of the

> community.

Of course , LL has improved vastly . There are also many negative points;

1. young working-class kids have been priced out of the area;

2.There are far too many cars for available parking places;

3.The area has attracted a rather undesirable type of snob;

4.Many parts of ED where there the poorer more traditional Ed people , such as Hindmans , Darrell and Underhill Roads live are being neglected.