Bessemer Grange parents - feedback?

We got Bessemer Grange, wasn't our first choice but I'm quite happy with it based on the location, the looks (umm.. from outside the school gates), the Ofsted rating and the little bit of feedback I could find on this forum.

I'd love to get some more input though, either from parents with children already at the school or those who did visit the school already (I'm going tomorrow morning) and have a bit of a feel for it already. Positive or negative stories, everything is welcome, I'm not a stick my head in the sand kind of person ;)

Am happy with anything you're willing to share, private messages are obviously very welcome but if you're happy to share your thoughts with the wider community it would be great if you could reply to this thread.

Thanks!

We have a son in Reception at Bessemer and we are all very happy.

The Early Years children are in a nice new building (opened Sept 2010) and we like the fact it's in a quiet area with plenty of space (big playgrounds and looking out on to the Jags playing fields at the back). Our son has enjoyed after school activities including multi sports, dance & movement and, this term, is doing singing club and games. He also attends the on site general after school provision a couple of days a week which has allowed him to get to know children from across the school.

We have found the teaching, management and support staff enthusiastic and very approachable.

I'm happy to respond to PMs if anyone has any specific queries. As Ruffler says, there is a tour tomorrow to find out more.

Hi Sanne Panne

We visited five of our nearest schools (Heber, Goodrich, St J and St C, Goose Green and Bessemer) and felt that Bessemer Grange really stood out as the best school we'd seen. It has an amazing generously proportioned building with masses of natural light and tons of outside space. The teaching staff were very motivated to improve the already good results of the school, and all the children seemed really well behaved. I'd be interested to hear what you thought following your visit.

We are also starting at Bessemer in September - Friends of Bessemer are organising a picnic during the summer for children starting next term, and we'll be going along to that. Hopefully might see you there!

Am also very interested to hear of parents with children already at Bessemer.

MM

Our daughter has also been allocated a place at Bessemer. It wasn't our first choice, due to it being a 20 min walk away and our daughter already being at a closer school nursery. But we are very pleased to have got a place at Bessemer as thought it looked fantastic, when we looked around. Great outdoor space, light and airy classrooms, enthusastic staff, fantastic canteen. I'm not going on the tour today as imagine it'll be very busy! But will visit it again soon. Would love to arrange some playdates with others who are joining in September.

Sanne, let us know how you get on today!

Lou

Thanks for the great feedback all. I did the tour today and really liked the classrooms and the outdoor space. All very bright and cheerful and I liked how the kids were learning and playing. So far so good ;)

Totally up for organising some playdates later on.

Sanne

Hi all,

My daughter was offered a place at Bessemer this time last year, we knew nothing about the school, we live practically on the doorstep of DKH where my older sons went. We went and had a look round straight away and I was impressed by what I saw, and the fact that the deputy head showed us round and took as much time as everyone needed to answer questions.

We took the place and have never looked back, my daughter is so happy, the teachers are lovely, the early years playground is amazing, and the classrooms welcoming. The headteacher and deputy head are really doing everything they can to bring the school back up to standard and are always visible before and after school. There are lots and lots of after school clubs and sports groups. The children all settled in so quickly in September.

I can honestly say I'm glad we got Bessemer over DKH now having had experience of both schools.

my daughter started bessemer 2010 as we did not get a place in any of our choices(heber, goodrich, dvi and st johns and st clements),id never even heard of the school beforehand but had to send her there as I had no choice and kept her on the waiting lists for others applied for,I decided to take her out of the school at the end of reception due to an incident which I was very unhappy with,she is now at Heber which I am much happier with(and also alot nearer to where we were living at the time)I bumped into a parent the other day of a child who is still at bessemer who told me her daughter is being picked on and was even pushed of an apparatus in the playground I assume so she also wishes to take her child out of the school but I know of some children who are getting on fine there.

Either way I wish everyone else a better experience of the school than we had!

That's very useful feedback too, loveED86, thanks for sharing. Would you classify your experience as related to teachers not doing enough about kids' misbehaviour (like the other parent you talked to) or was your daughter's incident unrelated? I'm sorry you had to go through something bad enough to make you change schools. Feel free to pm me if you prefer. Thanks.

In the old reception area which the school are not using at the moment there was places were the children could go and not be seen by staff which the teachers were aware of but to my knowledge not much was done about this at the time,another parent told me she came to collect her son early and there was I think one teacher watching both reception classes whilst they played outside but now all children are on the other side I have been told its very open so all teachers are able to see the children.I have been told whilst things have improved education wise the way teachers deal with childrens misbehaviour and bullying could definately improve.

I have two children at Bessemer Grange, one in Year 2 and the other in Reception. We are very pleased with the school and both my children are extremely happy there. They are getting a good education and in my experience, the teachers have been very attentive to the childrens needs and have their best interests at heart.

My son started at Bessemer in September 2010, when the new early years building opened, and although Bessemer wasn't our first choice at the time (it's not our closest school) I now feel really lucky to be at this school and my daughter started nursery there last year. They both settled in so well and I have found it a really friendly place. I like the way that the outdoor space for early years is used for teaching too and when I have walked past or have been in the children's centre there always seem to be a lot of teachers out there being interactive with the kids. Overall my experience of the school has been great, the teachers we have had are very caring and seem to really understand my children so that if any issues come up I feel confident that they are dealt in the best way. And the best bit is that my children are very happy there.

Hi Sanne

This time last year, I was in the same position as yourself. I fretted about which school to send my child to. I went to the school three times. Twice on a tour, and a 3rd occasion to meet the head. She was very approachable, very dynamic, and is totally dedicated to the children. She is there at every school event, very supportive. My son loves it there, and I am very happy with the school too. I went in recently to help out at the school, and once again was blown away by what I saw. The nursery teacher is absolutely fantastic (wish my son had gone to nursery there in many ways) The work displayed on the walls was very impressive, and the classes I passed were very well managed and sounded like the kids were really enjoying learning. The outdoor play pods and outdoor learning garden is fantastic (I went and worked on it today with some parents and children). It's very good and its getting better. They have done so much since he has started. Please go and visit and get a feel for the place. For me, it just 'felt right'. I am a bit surprised to hear about how the bullying was dealt with (Was the new head in then?) Sounds like this happened before she made her mark. She has very strict rules around bullying and bad behaviour in general, so I suspect this was before her time. We are happy with it.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

We?ve been offered a full time place at DKH nursery and a part time place at Bessemer. We feel really lucky and are so pleased to have a nursery place at all let alone an offer from two. I?m now in a bit of a dilemma...which one to choose? I hear good things about both schools.

Life would be a lot easier if we took the full time place (fully funded) at DKH as I?ll have a new baby to look after BUT we were really impressed with Bessemer.

When visiting DKH we were shown round by two lovely children. It was a whistle stop tour without access to classrooms or staff members and only got to pop our head round the door of the nursery which felt rather dark and cramped. We weren?t invited in and didn?t feel able to approach staff.

When we were offered the place at DKH I called and asked if it was possible to meet the Head, Deputy Head or another member of teaching staff but was told no.

The Deputy Head of Bessemer spent an hour showing us round and we left really wanting a place.

If we decide to go with Bessemer nursery we would not be guaranteed a place at the school. We?re 0.2 miles from DKH and 0.3 from Bessemer (a nicer walk).

I know what I would tell myself...go with gut feel but I don?t want to turn down a perfectly good full time nursery place without talking to / hearing from parents with children at either nursery. Please get in touch either by PM or openly on the forum.

Your time / thoughts will be much appreciated.