What shall I cook tonight?

LibraCarr

Hi,

I get so fed up when I go shopping on Lordship Lane and see young couple's who do not know what to have for their evening meal. It is hard when you are on your way home, and have to pop into a shop to get something to eat. The scenario is... you move in together, and you both try to shine in the kitchen. But why get a half prepared pre cooked meal that does not do the job! Experiment together and enjoy the experience.

If you need any meal ideas or help please leave a message, I will answer your problems. I have had a barbeque in Smugglers Cove, St. Lucia for thirty people where all the food and equipment was sourced there. I have also made field kitchens where you have little space and facilities. No matter how small your cooking enviroment is, I will be able to help.

Take care and of course, happy eating.

Libra Carr.

helpful yes - practical no (in my case anyway)

3 of my nights this week have been altered at short notice so if I had food bought and prepped it would be wasted

But I'm with LibraCarr on the proper food thing (no surprises there. But tonight is curry club night so...

Thursday is looking like jerk pork chez moi - if I can convince Nisha at Val's that more that 8 scotch bonnets won't kill me

SeanMacGabhann hits the nail on the head! With various social engagements (often made at short notice) or going to my girlfriend's place, I probably only eat at home a couple of nights a week. Too many times, the tasty looking veg I'd bought turns out to be inedible by the time I get round to eating it!

Hi again,

I suppose the thread is what can you afford.. You can by fresh veg (or so it is advertised as) and then two days later it is withering. Don't throw it away, boil it up, let it cool and the prapse freeze it. You then have a base for a future meal.

Pasta and rice is cheap, why not boil up some and then add a jar of pre-prepped sauce. If your partner demands that you attend her address for pre supposed nuptials, all you have lost in cost is the pasta. Pasta versus a bonk..... has to be pasta ha ha.

Hi,

Cheese on toast.....

Readily available is the Cathedral brand. Cheese on toast has to be strong. Grate the cheese onto a peice of toast and then add Tomato slices or onions. Then add more grated cheese to cover. Otherwise get a portion of sweetcorn onto the toast (has to be done quickly - as the toast may dampen) then sling the grated cheese on top. Bing Bong orgasm time.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> Cheese on toast.....

>

> Readily available is the Cathedral brand. Cheese

> on toast has to be strong. Grate the cheese onto

> a peice of toast and then add Tomato slices or

> onions. Then add more grated cheese to cover.

> Otherwise get a portion of sweetcorn onto the

> toast (has to be done quickly - as the toast may

> dampen) then sling the grated cheese on top. Bing

> Bong orgasm time.

Is this a joke?

Dear Bob.

I hope you are well.

I am at a loss to understand your interpretation of a joke. Can I offer a free consultation for you as sometimes people will have Lobster Thermidore for a meal, others will have a stew, and others including the well esteemed and wealthy will have cheese on toast. The essence of a meal is what you want to have for the mealtime.

Have you tried McDonalds?

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Fair enough, Libra.

I shall get into the spirit of things and add one of my own noted dishes (*rustles in cookery books*).

Ahem. Take one tin of beans. (Heinz is a popular brand). Empty contents into a saucepan and heat gently (you can also use a microwave). Whilst the beans are warming, toast two regular slices of bread. Assemble the toast on a plate and butter if required. Finally, tip the beans out onto the toast and spread evenly.

Bing bong.. beans on toast.

Oops its me again....

On your beans on toast, try pre frying some bacon, cut into small cubes and then introduce into the beans. Yummy....

When digested it will introduce you into the world of Wind Farms, but is is very nice. Or you can have toast spread with butter, then Marmite, and then beans.... Got to go... at the orgasm stage....

I cooked tonight for one.

A crispy skinned baked potato (rub skin in olive oil and sprinkle lots of salt) - served with tinned tuna freshened up with lemon juice and some chives. As on compulsory no butter diet used remaining lemon juice over the baked potato which was surprisingly good. Add one large field mushroom left over in veg rack and some rocket salad - yum yum but no orgasm.

Prep time 5 mins - cook time 60 mins. Dish up & eat.

Not had this tonight, but the recipe was given to me by a friend when we were both students...

Cook one person worth of pasta, grate some cheese - enough for personal taste.

Drain cooked pasta and put back into sauce pan, add the cheese and tomato ketchup, stir so cheese melts and put onto plate.... great for late night slightly tipsy-ness!

This looks quite nice. Lifted from the Grauniads website today:

The G2 weekly recipe: Radicchio and red wine risotto

Allegra McEvedy

Wednesday January 9, 2008

The Guardian

This dish is special, deep and rich - not one for the fainthearted.

Serves 6 (as a starter, which risotto should be)

3 garlic cloves, smashed

90g butter

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 red onion, finely diced

3 celery sticks, cut into small dice

A few sprigs of rosemary, picked, washed and roughly chopped

375g risotto rice (arborio)

1 bottle (75cl) decent red wine

350g radicchio, washed and shredded

50g parmesan, grated

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, sweat the garlic in the butter and olive oil. Add the onion and celery, with the rosemary and a touch of seasoning. Cover and sweat over a low heat for 15 minutes. Pour in the rice and stir well. Add half a glassful of red wine and stir. Normally with a risotto, your stock would be hot, but this works fine straight from the bottle, it just takes a bit longer to cook. Allow all the wine to be absorbed before adding more. Continue adding the wine half a glass at a time and keep stirring until you run out of wine. Stir in most of the radicchio, keeping a handful for last-minute crunch. Finish cooking with warm water - around 250ml.

When the rice is cooked al dente, turn off the heat and check the seasoning. There will be a multi-layered sharpness, as some of the wine is well-cooked and some quite fresh. Add the Parmesan and leave to rest for not less than five minutes, with the lid askew. Stir and serve, resisting the urge to overkill on the parmesan.