Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

Picked this up this morning on twitter and thought it might be of interest to the followers of this thread but then again:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/02/totnes-costa-coffee

Maybe it's a moot point but the questions raised by the article seem to be whether diversity, in the form of high street retailers in this instance, enhances community and a sense of place. But then again.

Alec

@AlecLeggat

I'd like to know who's selfish parents ran up a credit card bill for their kids as mine certainly didn't!! They went to uni on grants to make their lives better for themselves and us. They help us out in a situation now that they couldn't predict. That's life though people.

Anyway so when Is M&S happening?

In today's Evening Standard (which also carries the ED=Nappy Valley story) http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/dads-gone-to-iceland-8293471.html?origin=internalSearch

Quote - "She suggested I do this by going to Iceland, a supermarket I had never used. The wilful ugliness of the shop?s sign had somehow persuaded me that it could not be a place where I would feel at home.

But what a wonderful place it is once you get inside. In the supermarkets I used to visit I often found it quite hard to work out what things cost. In Iceland there is no such difficulty. The price labels are completely clear. Many items cost either ?1 or ?2. The first thing to catch my eye was a large bottle of Fairy Liquid costing ?2. This stuck me as very good value. In our corner shop I usually pay ?1.29 for a much smaller one. A litre of Flash cost ?1, while some dishwasher tabs for which I would usually expect to pay ?2.99 could be had for ?1.50.

I became so enthusiastic about this shop, so high on the pleasures of frugality, that I spent ?34.25, which was more than I had intended, but which together with some fruit and veg bought off a stall on the other side of Kentish Town Road was enough to keep us going for three days.

Not that everything from Iceland was equally good. A large pork pie that cost only ?1 was frankly a disappointment. The fresh spinach at ?1 a bag was fine, as were the Herta frankfurters at ?3 for 20."

Richard Tudor wrote

------------------------------

You may be sad but others might have to depend on iceland to put food on the table at an affordable price. Think pensioners

Agreed!! There is too much pull the ladder up Jack I am ok sod everyone else we want M & S

Otta wrote

----------------------------------------------------------

First time I've been in this section in ages, and shock horror, this thread is still going, and now 36 pages.

Good to know the important issues are being discussed

People are very passionate about this topic and it also depend on what side of the argument you are coming from as well.

Much as I hate to bump this thread up, and have no particular view on the issues herein, an article in today's Daily Mash was most relevant and had to be shared:

"Iceland mockery vital to middle class self-esteem"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/iceland-vital-to-middle-class-self-esteem-2012111549138

In fact maybe this thread inspired the article...

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that it was about time this thread started up again and got an update - Iceland staff HAVE been given their notices and they will all lose their jobs, there, on 4th January.

So, for some of you out there in 'Loftland' - HURRAY, that ghastly shop IS shutting down.

Pip, Pip.