BA vs Virgin when travelling with baby

Does anyone have any experience of whether BA or Virgin is better when travelling with a baby? We are planning to fly to San Francisco with a 5-6 month old and there isn't much of a price difference so wondering which to choose.

I haven't travelled with a baby on either but Virgin certainly seem more helpful with passengers generally and the LHR - SFO route is a nice one - generally, large 747s and nice crew etc. But I'm sure they both offer the same kind of assistance.x

Just check what plane it is. The newer the plane, the better time you will have, we went from a qantas flight to a ba one and the difference was staggering as the ba plane was much older!

Have you looked at seatguru it will give you info about the planes.

I've done both, with babies and toddlers. Virgin were on balance very slightly better with the toddler, but the real difference is the type of cot that can be attached to the bulkhead seat. The BA one had to be removed in turbulence and virgin's didn't. I'd check that out. This was two years ago so maybe slightly different now. Both fab in all other ways

Had a lovely time on Virgin with a baby flying to NY and flew with a baby and toddler to LA on Virgin. Actually enjoyed the flight, I wouldn't even consider flying with anyone else for our next trip.

Bare in mind that if flying Virgin the cot doesn't need to be removed during turbulence but if the seatbelt signs are turned on you will be made to remove your baby and strap them into a child seatbelt. So not a huge amount of difference there between BA and Virgin.

I would second the advise re: the plane. We went via Qantas to Sydney in March on the A380 and it was wonderful. We then came back from Sydney to London on BA in a 747. The BA plane was terrible, it felt old and small compared to the A380. Important when trying to change nappies.

We were also far from impressed with the BA service. 1.5 hours to check-in at Sydney airport. I was nursing the baby during a meal so I asked if I could have it later, after feeding the baby I asked for the meal, at first they said no but eventually gave in. On the second stage of the flight we were served last again and at first they thought they had no more meals available, eventually they found something. They only provided one meal to our little girl (8 months) 20 minutes before landing at Heathrow - I had packed some food for her just in case which we had to use. One other mother travelling on her own pressed the buzzer three times for hot water for a bottle, no one came so she eventually went to get some herself, she was bumped on the way back and burnt her hand it looked terrible poor thing. I would only ever fly BA again for trips less than 3 hours long.

The service from Qantas was wonderful, kept meals for both of us, 6 jars of baby food per flight, came by every couple of hours and asked me if I needed water etc.

• 2 weeks later...