> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> >

> > >

> > > Margate is a shite hole now but they are

> trying

> > to

> > > gentrify the place. Good luck with that.

> > > I prefer Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

> >

> >

> > Oh FFS.

> >

> > Margate is lovely.

> >

> > It also has a wonderful art gallery, right on

> the

> beach with fantastic views.

>

> Sue, If I had said Margate was lovely.... You

> would of said .. it's a dump Ramsgate /

> Broadstairs are nicer.

Eh? No I wouldn't.

I don't know why you always seem to think that I disagree with you for the sake of it.

Why would I pretend I didn't like something if I did? I can't lie, my memory isn't good enough to remember what I've said. I would be found out in no time :?) Quite apart from the moral aspect.

I love Margate.

Apart from the gallery it has the amazing shell grotto and some interesting shops, plus a great fish and chip shop.

You of course are entitled to your opinions. As am I.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually Louisa, Khan's - just one of the many

> "old" businesses on the lane - has been mentioned

> many times on here. Positively.

>

> And only recently KidKruger recommended a fabric

> stall in the covered market.

>

> But don't let the facts get in the way of your

> prejudices :))

But interestingly no one mentions any of these places in a specific thread about how great Peckham is? 😂

Once again facts are ignored over fictional pleasantries.

Louisa.

I saw two not-so-young men working hard for the council, painting over tagging and trying scrub it away from a grille on a property on Rye Lane this morning around 7. It looked like hard work that takes time and money, money which could be being spent on oh, I dunno, planting trees or improving road junctions or providing translation services or teaching children.....

One person's "edgy vibe" is another person's hard, dirty, not well-paid and ultimately wasteful graft....

Wow, I'm completely surprised by your responses Loutwo! I almost posted to say "Go Loutwo, now is your chance! Defend Rye Lane which is a high street that has largely avoided gentrification". I was genuinely waiting for you to steam in, guns blazing, supporting what is clearly a less middle class high street that has largely remained unchanged, fully catering for the local working classes.

Alas no.

So Lordship is too gentrified

Rye Lane not gentrified enough

I wonder.....

Loutwo Wrote:

> But interestingly no one mentions any of these

> places in a specific thread about how great

> Peckham is?

The discussion was only derailed as far as opinions on Peckham's bars and restaurants, it didn't get a chance to take recommendations on independent stores. Peckhamplex did get a small look in before a bizarre film review from the 70s took that off course and we ended up with the unfathomable bleating about Margate.

At least we're back on familiar ground with the usual "fictional pleasantries" these threads always devolve into.

There?s a fine line between too gentrified, and not gentrified enough. In fact, scrap that.

Rye Lane and LL both lack variety. They have a whole host of too much of the same stuff. A lack of variety in general. LL looks and smells OK, Rye Lane looks and smells disgusting. Neither of them offer much for the whole population of the areas they represent.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> There?s a fine line between too gentrified, and

> not gentrified enough. In fact, scrap that.

>

> Rye Lane and LL both lack variety. They have a

> whole host of too much of the same stuff. A lack

> of variety in general. LL looks and smells OK, Rye

> Lane looks and smells disgusting. Neither of them

> offer much for the whole population of the areas

> they represent.

>

> Louisa.

is there anywhere that you do like? that you feel does offer plenty to the whole population of the area it 'represent'?

Loutwo Wrote:

> Bromley. It offers something for everyone. And I

> mean, everyone.

>

> Lewisham, again, offers something for everyone.

>

> Croydon, offers something for everyone too.

>

> Peckham and Dulwich DO NOT.

>

> Louisa.

but these boroughs not streets (as you were talking about rye lane and LL, it's only fair to compare like with like)

if we are playing by boroughs, southwark offers all sorts for everyone doesn't it?

Personally my hearts sinks on the few occasions I?m forced to ?do Bromley?. No doubt a perfectly decent place to those who like that sort of thing but - to me - it represents the exact same banal pedestrianised surburbia I?ve intentionally and successfully avoided since leave home.

If you can?t find a load of stuff you like within a few miles radius of our bit of London, you?re living in the wrong place. And paying a pointless premium for it.

Indeed. Gentrification is a way to force normal locals out, and attract a artsy/wealthy crowd looking for a bargain. These people want to shape areas like East Dulwich to suit their taste, they have no intention of becoming part of the existing community. Same is true of Peckham. Look at some of the earlier comments on this very thread, newbies to the neighbourhood talking about businesses they go to in Peckham and take their friends and family too from wealthy rural localities. They only mention places that sprung up to satisfy their needs. This stuff wasn?t put their for the whole community.

It?s hilarious reading back over this thread. Gentrifiers don?t even see the irony in the fact that they are actually part of the problem. They just see themselves as liberal down with the poor crusaders looking for an edgy neighbourhood to boast about with their wealthy friends and family.

Louisa.

Yeah but Primark, Iceland, ASDA, the great Chinese supermarket, sports shops, Superdrug, Argos, fruit/ veg stalls, Peacocks, butchers, various African food shops, the kebab place I forget the name of, nail bars, hair dressers. Specsavers, Costa.....the list goes on....and most of these I like and use.

Loutwo what?s wrong with these place on RYE LANE (not the rest of Peckham) and why are they not accessible to all?

Are some working classes more working class than others by any chance?! I?d hate to think you harbour views that you have to be the ?right? type of working class

Spot on and deftly put...

binkylilyput Wrote:

> Yeah but Primark, Iceland, ASDA, the great Chinese

> supermarket, sports shops, Superdrug, Argos,

> fruit/ veg stalls, Peacocks, butchers, various

> African food shops, the kebab place I forget the

> name of, nail bars, hair dressers. Specsavers,

> Costa.....the list goes on....and most of these I

> like and use.

>

> Loutwo what?s wrong with these place on RYE LANE

> (not the rest of Peckham) and why are they not

> accessible to all?

>

> Are some working classes more working class than

> others by any chance?! I?d hate to think you

> harbour views that you have to be the ?right? type

> of working class

binkylilyput Wrote:

> Yeah but Primark, Iceland, ASDA, the great Chinese

> supermarket, sports shops, Superdrug, Argos,

> fruit/ veg stalls, Peacocks, butchers, various

> African food shops, the kebab place I forget the

> name of, nail bars, hair dressers. Specsavers,

> Costa.....the list goes on....and most of these I

> like and use.

>

> Loutwo what?s wrong with these place on RYE LANE

> (not the rest of Peckham) and why are they not

> accessible to all?

>

> Are some working classes more working class than

> others by any chance?! I?d hate to think you

> harbour views that you have to be the ?right? type

> of working class

How do you come to that strange conclusion? Why would you assume that from what I have said so far? Strange response. BTW it took me to have to question people BEFORE anyone responded with actual names of OTHER independent/chain stores

In the Peckham area. Before that, it was just discovered places by trendy types who came here post 2013. You might want to re-read my post above, rather than try to accuse me of something more sinister which anyone who knows me would verify is utter BS. Or maybe you?re just doing it to goad me because you actually support gentrification in Peckham?

Louisa.

But you?ve not answered the question? What?s wrong with these places on Rye Lane and what makes them not accessible to all?

Rye Lane has so far retained a lot of long-standing character and so continued to cater for local communities (which is your understandable and very well trodden gripe against gentrification).....but still not right?

Come off it. These new businesses in Peckham aren?t part and parcel of the existing community. They?re new businesses aimed at a specific demographic who have only very recently moved into the neighbourhood. You only have to read previous comments on this thread.

What?s this character that Rye Lane has kept? Do you know how gentrification works? LL retained much of its character to begin with, as I?m sure Shoreditch and Dalston did 20 years ago. But how long will that last? The whole point of these new businesses is not to blend in, but to change the character and demographic of the place and then house prices go up (which they?re already doing) and before you know it we have another Northcote Road on our hands. Let?s not pretend this isn?t actually happening.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Come off it. These new businesses in Peckham

> aren?t part and parcel of the existing community.

> They?re new businesses aimed at a specific

> demographic who have only very recently moved into

> the neighbourhood.

This is what always happens when new communities are formed, the same thing happened when the Afro-Caribbean community first rocked up. One (wo)man's gentrification is another's ghettoisation. You reek of double standards Lou...

Loutwo

Of course new comers want the businesses that cater to their needs. Every new demographic that has ever moved in to an area has wanted that. Why should ED/Peckham be any different? And no business can cater for the whole community...it is too varied.....that's why it is good to have so many different kinds of business. So I am at a loss to know what it is you are wanting. my guess would be you are harking back to a past some 50/60 years ago when London was culurally uniform and divided into class ghettos , a past that I am very glad we have left behind.