attempted muggging (in the Unicorn, Rye Lane) - Lounged

JohnL

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would really like to know where all these

> marvellous Bars and Restaurants are ?

On Rye Lane, or just off it : Bar Story, Brick Brewery, Peckham Springs, Honest Burgers, Levan, Il Giardino, Cravings La Carretta, CLF Art Lounge, Bar Om, Miss Tapas, Flamin Mangal, 200 Rye Lane, White Horse, Banh Banh, Pedler, Mr Bao, Voodoo Ray, Four Quarters, Taco Queen, John The Unicorn, Rye Wax, Bussey Rooftop, Yadas, Forza Win, Kanpai, the many outlets in Peckham Levels, Franks bar... I'm sure I've missed several. New things are opening all the time.

Then plenty more places to eat and drink in Bellenden Rd area, and also round Queens Rd too.

There is, in fact, much more choice in Peckham than East Dulwich. People travel there to go out eating, drinking, clubbing... you can't really say that about ED. However, I will admit that Peckham is pretty scruffy and not to everybody's taste, and some of these places are a bit hidden away. East Dulwich has a more laid back, affluent, suburban, family-friendly feel. If I'm taking my parents (in their 70s) out for lunch or dinner, it would usually be in ED because it's much more in their comfort zone. But if I'm going out for drinks with friends, I wouldn't really bother with ED these days.

Sorry to hear about the attempted mugging, a useful reminder to be alert (anywhere! The two pub thefts I've experienced first hand happened on Carnaby Street and near Kings Cross).

Bizarre suggestion that Rye Lane is a no-go zone. Have spent many a lovely evening without incident in the places named above by fishbiscuits (including with my parents - took my mum for her 75th to Pedler and very good it was too). @Fishbiscuits, you missed the Peckhamplex and several other places behind the Bussey, but I lose track of exactly what is there now. I prefer going out in Peckham to ED to be honest, much more going on there.

katanita Wrote:

> @Fishbiscuits, you missed the Peckhamplex and

> several other places behind the Bussey, but I lose

> track of exactly what is there now.

DulwichFox asked about bars and restaurants, so I didn't mention the cinema in my response. But yeah, I missed out some of the Copeland Park places, and The Coal Rooms, and others. Yep, definitely much more going on in Peckham than ED. Some of the things are a bit tucked away, but exploring is part of the fun I guess.

Not interested in Cinemas. Peckhamplex.

Last big film I went to see was Earthquake in The West End 1974. 45 years ago.

I went to the Small White Elephant once. About as big as by bedroom. Quite nice.

Nice guy working there. Went back again but it had closed down.

Seems par for the course. Most of these Pop-Ups are not there for long.

I am aware of the area which was at one time known as The Triangle.

a Few Places there. Very pricey with Tables set out for couples or groups of 4 - 6.

Curry houses seem to be the only places were you see singles eating alone.

I was coming out the station this evening and a woman had her phone stolen by a young lad on a bike. She ran crying after him but no way of catching him, me and others not immediately realising what had happened. I saw the same thing happen two weeks ago in East Dulwich, so these things do happen anywhere and I am sure everywhere. It is right to be vigilant. Straight after at the buss stop on rye lane I saw two women reading/messaging on their phones, I told them what I?d just seen and both were grateful for the heads up. It is easy to be focussed on your phone leaving you vulnerable to getting it nicked. The woman who jumped out of her skin, sorry if that was you.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Not interested in Cinemas. Peckhamplex.

> Last big film I went to see was Earthquake in The

> West End 1974. 45 years ago.

>

Brilliant - still laughing 10 minutes later - Lordship Lane's Contemporary Culture Adviser!

peckman Wrote:

> We would obviously turn it into a prosecco bar

> serving overpriced cashew nuts .. and before you

> say it .. you've been to margate in 1974 and it

> was shit

My parents took me on many occasions to Margate in the 1950's and it was Brilliant.

The Best Chips I have ever had from a proper chippy in Dreamland.

I Deejayed in the Dreamland Ballroom around about 1972-1974

Margate is a shite hole now but they are trying to gentrify the place. Good luck with that.

I prefer Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Margate is a shite hole now but they are trying to

> gentrify the place. Good luck with that.

> I prefer Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

Oh FFS.

Margate is lovely.

It also has a wonderful art gallery, right on the beach with fantastic views.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > Margate is a shite hole now but they are trying

> to

> > gentrify the place. Good luck with that.

> > I prefer Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

>

>

> Oh FFS.

>

> Margate is lovely.

>

> It also has a wonderful art gallery, right on the

beach with fantastic views.

Sue, If I had said Margate was lovely.... You would of said .. it's a dump Ramsgate / Broadstairs are nicer.

I include a view from Margate beach for people to enjoy.

e5.jpg

I see no ships.. boats ?

Like Foxy I loved those good old days in LL when you could enjoy 15 pints in one of those lovely boozers and enjoy a nice punch up outside afterwards. None of them poncy gastro pubs serving guacamole and the like. Then you could have a good chinwag with Mad Frankie Fraser and his mates.

Those were the days. At least after Brexit we'll be getting our country back with pounds, shillings and pence again.

Foxy is simply pointing out the elephant in the room. Rye Lane is a smelly, grotty dump which has been taken to the hearts of hipsters and middle class gentrification types. Interesting to note, many of the positive places and ?stuff? going on in trendy Peckham, is all recent stuff aimed at newbies to the neighbourhood. These so called liberal minded types never mention the businesses already existing in the neighbourhood do they? Just the ?discovered? crap they and their trendy friends and family like to visit.

Louisa.

Actually Louisa, Khan's - just one of the many "old" businesses on the lane - has been mentioned many times on here. Positively.

And only recently KidKruger recommended a fabric stall in the covered market.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudices :))