> business can cater for the whole community...it is

> too varied.....that's why it is good to have so

> many different kinds of business. So I am at a

> loss to know what it is you are wanting. my guess

> would be you are harking back to a past some 50/60

> years ago when London was culurally uniform and

> divided into class ghettos , a past that I am very

> glad we have left behind.

At least back then working people could buy in London. Nowadays people who grew up around here have to move away because house prices are ridiculous. The class divide is bigger today than it has ever been. The London of 30 years ago was far more diverse and affordable than the capitalist hell hole that?s been created today.

Louisa.

Not many working people bought houses back then, and a lot moved out because of the shortage of housing due to the war and general slum-like conditions. Working people buying their own homes only became popular when they could buy their council owned property under Thatcher's Right to Buy. Ironically that started the cycle of houses becoming unaffordable for future generations...

Loutwo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The London of 30 years ago was

> far more diverse and affordable than the

> capitalist hell hole that?s been created today.

>

> Louisa.

when you see the place that you live as a hellhole, surely it's time to leave?

pk Wrote:

> Loutwo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The London of 30 years ago was

> > far more diverse and affordable than the

> > capitalist hell hole that?s been created today.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> when you see the place that you live as a

> hellhole, surely it's time to leave?

Come Brexit I think a lot of people will be leaving. Maybe that?s the only way to force property prices down.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Peckhampam Wrote:

> -----

> > Loutwo

> > Of course new comers want the businesses that

> > cater to their needs. Every new demographic

> that

> > has ever moved in to an area has wanted that.

> Why

> > should ED/Peckham be any different? And no

> > business can cater for the whole community...it

> is

> > too varied.....that's why it is good to have so

> > many different kinds of business. So I am at a

> > loss to know what it is you are wanting. my

> guess

> > would be you are harking back to a past some

> 50/60

> > years ago when London was culurally uniform and

> > divided into class ghettos , a past that I am

> very

> > glad we have left behind.

>

> At least back then working people could buy in

> London. Nowadays people who grew up around here

> have to move away because house prices are

> ridiculous. The class divide is bigger today than

> it has ever been. The London of 30 years ago was

> far more diverse and affordable than the

> capitalist hell hole that?s been created today.

>

> Louisa.

Lots of working class Londoners couldn't wait to 'get out' 30 or even 20 years ago. "What do you want to buy a house in this shithole for?" was my working class neighbour's first words to me in the early 90s SE22

Hemingway Wrote:

> Loutwo Wrote:

> -----

> >

> > The London of 30 years ago was

> > far more diverse and affordable than the

> > capitalist hell hole that?s been created today.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> Lots of working class Londoners couldn't wait to

> 'get out' 30 or even 20 years ago. "What do you

> want to buy a house in this shithole for?" was my

> working class neighbour's first words to me in the

> early 90s SE22

And ?white flight? is clearly shown in the last census data

But data also suggests that the areas of most exodus aren?t those with most ?gentrification? but rather higher levels of immigration, look at Barking and Dagenham for example

Make of that what you will

Not true. ?White flight? is not a racial issue, it?s a class based issue. Poorer people of all racial backgrounds are being forced to leave working class neighbourhoods around inner London because prices are just ridiculous and the number of social housing opportunities are now heavily restricted.

The very people who are most ?open minded? and enjoy ?edgy and multicultural? neighbourhoods, are in effect turning those places into bland homogenised unaffordable ghettos.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> pk Wrote:

> -----

> > Loutwo Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > The London of 30 years ago was

> > > far more diverse and affordable than the

> > > capitalist hell hole that?s been created

> today.

> > >

> > > Louisa.

> >

> > when you see the place that you live as a

> > hellhole, surely it's time to leave?

>

> Come Brexit I think a lot of people will be

> leaving. Maybe that?s the only way to force

> property prices down.

>

> Louisa.

Leaving where - where is this mythical supply of housing to which they are going to move ?

Loutwo Wrote:

>

> The very people who are most ?open minded? and

> enjoy ?edgy and multicultural? neighbourhoods, are

> in effect turning those places into bland

> homogenised unaffordable ghettos.

>

> Louisa.

And where are these people supposed to live ?

Ideally they would choose not to live in developments built on bulldozed social housing.

ed_pete Wrote:

> Loutwo Wrote:

> -----

> >

> > The very people who are most ?open minded? and

> > enjoy ?edgy and multicultural? neighbourhoods,

> are

> > in effect turning those places into bland

> > homogenised unaffordable ghettos.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> And where are these people supposed to live ?

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> You might want to watch this excellent little film

> (and the others in the series) about

> gentrification / regeneration in Peckham. It gives

> a more nuanced view from long-term residents than

> some of the ones on display on this thread:

>

>

Thanks for that, BNG, I just watched it.

Very heartwarming.

alice Wrote:

> Ideally they would choose not to live in

> developments built on bulldozed social housing.

The Heaton Arms was under my block 10 years ago and I feel guilty about that sometimes.

It is one of the successful developments though IMHO.

Every few months I sign back in to the forum and see it's the same 2-3 nobbers dominating conversation with their bonkers opinions, quixotic punctuation and chronic desire to make themselves the centre of attention. It's such a shame as it drags down the quality of the forum as a whole.

Rye Lane is a bit of a dump. It's dirty (the plastic hair extensions blowing like tumbleweed outside the line of hair shops is particularly rough), with bad street furniture, and the buildings are for the most part grotty. However, it's got some useful shops, some nice coffee places etc, and good transport. The newly reopened Iceland is great- presumably.ably those who moaned at great length about the Lordship Lane Iceland closing will be heading there now.

It seems like there's a cluster of buildings near the Nags Head (by the Afghan kitchen and the big fish shop) that are getting ready for redevelopment. If that's done well, it would change the whole street. Equally, TfL should imho knock down the crappy arcade that fronts Peckham Rye station and replace it with a plaza that could still have market stalls. Equally the shopping centre could be knocked down and rebuilt with far more retail and housing - if we don't get density on sites like that, then where are all these new homes going to be built?

It's inevitable that fashionable and innovative start ups (cafes, arts, small businesses) are usually going to locate in low rent neighbourhoods - you don't try stuff out at Mayfair rents. It's also inevitable that when the majority of real property is controlled by the private sector, when a neighbourhood improves, rents will go up, and poorer people and less profitable businesses will end up leaving. I don't know what the answer there is - rent controls? Nationalising shopping centres? Deliberately leaving some areas to be shitty so they're cheap? Trying to make sure none of the areas of London are shitty?

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> TfL should imho knock down the crappy arcade that fronts Peckham

> Rye station and replace it with a plaza that could

> still have market stalls.

I thought this was supposed to be happening. But then a new bar has just opened in one of the arcade buildings, so now I'm not sure.

> Equally the shopping centre could be knocked down and rebuilt with far

> more retail and housing

Assuming you are talking about the Aylesham centre, I was under the impression it was due for complete redevelopment, including a 20 storey block of flats. But again... no news for ages. Not sure I'm a fan of the scheme, but hey.

The Peckham Rye station upgrade is happening - they've moved businesses out and are working out of sight now.

It's still got a way to go though ... https://www.southwark.gov.uk/regeneration/peckham-and-nunhead/peckham-rye-station-square.

There was meant to be a development adjacent to Co-Op House - but not heard a lot about it since various changes promised about the back of it, contrastingly the development next to Canavans (Christmas Yard) seems to be going along as fast as the workmen can build it.

Not heard much about the development of the Coal Line - but there was an update to the website in July about looking for funding.

http://www.peckhamcoalline.org/

Peckham Rye Lido project is still going along (most here believe it can't happen) with an update in August

https://www.facebook.com/peckhamlido/

JohnL Wrote:

> The Peckham Rye station upgrade is happening -

> they've moved businesses out and are working out

> of sight now.

Then why has a brand new tenant just moved into one of the buildings (CLF Art Lounge)? Or is that just a temporary pop-up?

Yeah I know the buildings on Blenheim Grove are being refurbished. But the new business I was referring to is not on Blenheim Grove, it is in front of the station - clearly inside the area marked for demolition as part of phase 2. Maybe it's just short lease for a very cheap price, I don't know. But they've gone to quite a bit of effort, it doesn't really feel "temporary" to me.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/regeneration/peckham-and-nunhead/peckham-rye-station-square

Not a day too soon, whenever it comes. It is a complete hole, especially the dank, dark tunnel with the cafe leading to the building itself. Take a look up and see the pigeon crap encrusted all over. How the council can have let it get to this state and still have cafes and food shops there is beyond me.