Loss of BT Broadband in East Dulwich Area.

Yes, us too. I've been finding my broadband increasingly unreliable, which coincides with lots of marketing calls from them trying to push the new fibre optic service, hmmmmm. Anyone signed up to the new one?

Thanks for the feedback folks...

I Totaly agree with Pickle ... broadband increasingly unreliable, which coincides with lots of marketing calls

BT are promising Broadband speeds far higher than feasable.. 20mb/s - 40mb/s delivered by 2 wire copper

from Telegraph Pole.. ???

Fox Former BT employee...

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>>

> I Totaly agree with Pickle ... broadband

> increasingly unreliable, which coincides with lots

> of marketing calls

>

>

xxxxx

When I had something similar with PlusNet not long ago, I was told I was being paranoid :))

Actually, I have signed up to BT Infinity 2 - I am currently getting (over a wireless connection at its 'N' limits) uploads of close to 17Mgb - and I have not experienced more than 3 significant service outages over the (many years) I have been receiving ADSL and its fibre successors.

It is entirely feasible to supply high speeds over copper when we are talking only of the drop from cabinet to premise - speeds tested at my modem (before attenuation through a wireless system) are very much as promised.

I have often found that when my PC apparently drops out my mobile is still working (on wireless) - which suggests issues with PC/ wireless router on PC rather than with the service itself.

I have seen lab tests of transmission over copper (at Martlesham Heath, the research labs) of well over 100mgbs - which suggests the current field promises are not wholly unreasonable. Infinity 2 is being promised locally at 60Mgbs download (measured at the modem).

I also find that an occasional re-boot of BT Retail modem and of PC helps restore uninterupted service, which again suggests that the problems are more likely in my own system than that being delivered to the Openreach modem (if you have BT Infinity it is supplied through two bits of kit, and a special junction box, not one as for ADSL broadband).

I currently get just under 3Mbt/s. Which suits my needs as I do not download Music or Films...

I have got faster speeds at some Wi-Fi sites.

I also like having full control over my Router, as I need to be able to control which Ports are Open.

to allow remote Access to My Home Cloud, WAMP Server and any IP Cameras installed.

BT were not able to confirm if such control is available on their Home Hub.

Sales person calling me was not Technical.

So as it stands have not Opted for Infinity 1/2

Fox.

DrinkingBuddy Wrote:

> I had problems this morning too, but it is the

> first problem I've had since switching to Infinity

> last year. I get 64Mb reliably at all times.

>

> @Fox you have full control over your Home Hub

> router with Infinity, they just don't advertise

> the fact.

Interesting you also had problems...

BT assured me that switching to Infinity would illiminate any problems with reliability I was having.

But having worked in Telecoms for 40 years,(BT 26 Years) I was aware that was not very likely.

ASDL and Infinity are just delivery Systems. I would assume they use the same Terminating Equipment at the Exchange. ?

Fox..

I would assume they use the same Terminating Equipment at the Exchange. ?

Technically they are connected to different line cards - cables route through the MDF (Main Distribution Frame) onto racks - BT Retail or 3rd party, with line cards capable of handling different signal types (ADSL, SDLS etc.) So, they are not using the same 'terminating' equipment. I am pretty sure the line cards for BT Infinity are different from the ADSL offering, and they have to do some installation work (probably just shifting a switch on the vard) to enable Infinity 2 - they give a 3 day lead-time if you order.

I can't believe any network connection can be guaranteed fault free and to be fair to BT they have been very responsive whenever I've asked them to do anything.

The only time I had any of their engineers be anything other than pleasant and helpful was when I was having my master socket moved under the stairs, the engineer arrived and grumpily told me I couldn't have the cable under the floor (I spent a lot of time and money hiding every cable in my house under the floor and behind skirting boards) as it may get crushed (there is a two foot gap under my floor). Fortunately, I'd anticipated reticence and pre-laid CAT5e from my front door to under the stairs the day before he came, when I showed him that he hooked up the two ends without any further complaint.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I would assume they use the same Terminating

> Equipment at the Exchange. ?

>

> Technically they are connected to different line

> cards - cables route through the MDF (Main

> Distribution Frame) onto racks - BT Retail or 3rd

> party, with line cards capable of handling

> different signal types (ADSL, SDLS etc.) So, they

> are not using the same 'terminating' equipment. I

> am pretty sure the line cards for BT Infinity are

> different from the ADSL offering, and they have to

> do some installation work (probably just shifting

> a switch on the vard) to enable Infinity 2 - they

> give a 3 day lead-time if you order.

Thanks..

Left BT in 1993 Not much Broadband around then. :)

Worked for Mercury Comms , Cable and Wireless, Nortel Networks

But not on Internet services.

So bit of a grey area for me.

Was involved with Switch Maintenence. System X. DMS. Nokia. AXE10.

Left Telecomms in 2008. Never to return.

Fox

Have lost my BT broadband several times today already. I get the orange flashing icon on the router (homehub) and a few mins later it returns and will then be fine for a while.

Seems to be doing it more and more frequently. I'm on the Nunhead side of the Rye.

This thread is interesting as I too have been experiencing intermittent problems with flunctuating target SNR and sync levels. Fault worsens during wet weathers. So far I've had four engineers visiting my property without a solution in hand. Now BT want to send a fifth one out.:-S

Engineer 1

Identified open / high resistance fault but lacked pole training so unable to complete job

Engineer 2

Also identified open resistance fault and crimped wiring on telegraph pole outside. During REIN testing fault appeared to resolve by itself.

Engineer 3

Couldn't find anything wrong with my connection despite it dropping when calls made/received. Failed to do lift and shift equipment at exchange.

Engineer 4

Didn't carryout job as requested by my broadband provider. Failed to do Co-op call and 'lift and shift' equipment at exchange.

Call centre lost notes relating to engineer's 1 & 2. It also became apparent that they were making stuff up rather than relying on facts and evidence.

The way BT is behaving then I may make that switch to Virgin Media. It's a shame because I really like my broadband provider, Zen.

My fault has been escalated to HLE after third Engineer visit.

Edited: remove spelling error.

Virgin Media is terrible. A friend was left without a landline AND broadband for a month - they were impossible to connect and then when they were finally allocated an appointment it would be cancelled on the day via text message. Really poor service. BTW I love Zen Internet & broadband too - great customer service, very helpful.

Engineer 5

Appeared to have identified fault at the E side of the cabinet. Sounds really promising as I'm now hitting speeds of 22 megs with a stable noise margin of 3db. Thumbs up to BT (tu).

@Scruffy Mummy,

I used to be with NTL after they merged with Cable & Wireless. I'm being far too kind if I said they were hopeless.