Does anyone know if the water is on at Brockwell Park sandpit?

• 3 weeks later...

Free parking on brockwell park gardens - I think it's the first right after the park as you come up Norwood road. Either find a space at the bottom by the gates and take the path up and over the hill (there are signposts at the top, or just ask someone which path to follow). Or, for a slightly shorter but less-suited-to-buggies walk, park up at the top of Brockwell Park Gardens just before it turns the corner and go through the small gate and walk across the grass - I guess you kinda need to know where you're headed for this one, now that I think about it.

Alternatively, friends say there's meter parking at the bottom of the park - I think they mean around the entrance on Brixton Water Lane... maybe another forumite can enlighten further??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I was a massive fan of Brockwell paddling pool and have been a few times. However I went with a friend last Saturday and they turned the fountains off in the afternoon. I went back on Sunday and the fountains were still off and the water looked so incredibly dirty... Lots and lots of babies with no nappies... And then I spent yesterday all day in Accident and Emergency with my 17month old son who now has a pretty bad virus and is on antibiotics. My other friends son who I was with on the weekend also has a very, very poorly tummy.

The doctor at the hospital said that the virus must have been caught from a public pool or nursery and that's the only place went and he isn't in nursery.

I wondered if anyone else's baby/child is ill? And if you're thinking of going, perhaps check they've cleaned it or something?

I don't think the babies are the main offenders. Toilets nearest to the pool and sandpit were flooded and incredibly filthy (at least yesterday)so very few people brought children to use them anyway. I dread to think what kind of water would be sprayed by the fountains. It is probably not very suitable for a two year old but I was really put off by children's behaviour and how dirty everything was.

We should report it to the council- I wonder if anyone has made a complaint yet? It's such a shame that a lovely idea to cool off in the heat can be so left in a bad state without the necessary monitoring and upkeep in such a short time. The whole thing - toilets, water play area sounds like a total health hazard. I'm going to keep well clear until they clean it up.

Oh well rain forecast next week - Ho hum...

We visited the pool and sandpit twice last week, but by mid afternoon on both days the place was filthy.

Bins overflowing with picnic leftovers and nappies on the ground. I'm dismayed how easily people trash their immediate environment without a care in the world. Though I think Lambeth council should provide larger bins/recycling facilities next to such a busy area, but would anyone bother to walk a few extra metres to use them I wonder.

I absolutely agree about the loo situation, we walked up to the ones by Brockwell Hall, and they were dreadful, sinks blocked and overflowing, so impossible for anyone to wash their hands.

The children however, were having a fabulous time, though I did wonder how the toddlers managed amongst the older kids who were charging around with giant water pistols, spraying everyone in sight, I got caught in the cross fire loads of times!

Several toddlers I know have had severe diarrhea bugs in the last week after playing in the dirty water at Brockwell paddling pool, including 2 that have had to go to A&E because it was so severe, such a pity cos obviously it is lots of fun, but the water just isn't clean enough..