Extra loud fireworks display

first mate

10pm on a Friday night is hardly late. It was obvious it was a display which wouldn't last very long (10 mins at max?).

It's not as if its a regular thing.

Try being woken up each morning between 3am-6am with random recycling collections, in particular the glass collection. Or having neighbours with incredibly noisy children/continuing building work being done.

Not to mention the noisy bikes, planes, lorry deliveries.

Pfft get with it!

Some prior warning would have been helpful and relatively easy to do. The fact that other types of noise cause disruption or discomfort is surely not a justification for more?

Perhaps someone could explain the attraction of really loud noise of this type? No problem with the visual aspect. As I mentioned before, I had thought low noise fireworks were now an option? Surely Alleyns could have gone down that route?

If the noise does not affect you in a any great way, as with most things it is easy to view any negative response as OTT and "whingeing". However, I can guarantee that some animals will really have suffered from last night's event, because it was totally without warning and owners were not able to prepare.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some prior warning would have been helpful and

> relatively easy to do. The fact that other types

> of noise cause disruption or discomfort is surely

> not a justification for more?

>

> Perhaps someone could explain the attraction of

> really loud noise of this type? No problem with

> the visual aspect. As I mentioned before, I had

> thought low noise fireworks were now an option?

> Surely Alleyns could have gone down that route?

>

> If the noise does not affect you in a any great

> way, as with most things it is easy to view any

> negative response as OTT and "whingeing". However,

> I can guarantee that some animals will really have

> suffered from last night's event, because it was

> totally without warning and owners were not able

> to prepare.

Lets ban bonfire night and the lead up to, New Year's and all the other occasions (including religious) where fireworks are involved and yet are totally acceptable then.

The difference is we know these will happen and can therefore prepare. No calls for a ban, the issue is about communicating with those around you. In the same way,if you wanted a one off, loud, party it is hoped you would let those likely to be affected know. It is simply common courtesy is it not?

Anyhow, the point has been made. Some will agree, others may rethink and others will simply dismiss it as "whingeing".

Nothing more to add.

God, does even this subject have to be horrendously polarised? Can't we just agree that 10pm would definitely be too late for some (prob those with babies, small kids etc) and not others. That some animals wouldn't mind at all and others would be howling and climbing the walls. That how loud it sounded would depend on where you live in East Dulwich. Personally, I live v near the playing field and the fireworks were placed v close to the fence and residential area. My flat was actually shaking. A nice compromise would have been more warning or just to have started the fireworks earlier or a bit further from the houses and flats. But this thread is just a to and fro of 'This is bloody London, get over it' versus 'Ban all fireworks and screw the lot of you'.

I like fireworks and I'm totally OK with parties (although not the drunk teenage girl on East Dulwich Grove who just screams and does karaoke badly -just wrong) but loud firework displays need warning if not when usually expected.

Our dog was absolutely terrified and she's a rescue so I'm thankful I just happened to be home.

For me it's not about if it allowed or not.

It was just not community spirited! I expect better local engagement from such a large institution as Alleyns operating in such a densely populated area.

It would not have cost that much or been very difficult to get the word out locally - so that those with pets or children would be prepared and those who wanted to enjoy the view would like wise have been ready.