Fibre optic broadband in SE15

Rosendo

Hello All, congratulations for the forum

Im new here and I hope this subject is not repeated. I searched for something similiar but I didn?t find a concrete information about this topic.

I'm about to move to East Dulwich/Peckham, (Copleston Road) and I wonder if anyone knows if there is a broadband fibre optic provider on this area. I've checked my postcode in different websites and had contradictory messages.

All companies I checked told me that I wouldn't get fast fibre optic broadband in this area, excepts Virgin...

Does anybody knows if this is true? I'm looking for the fastest internet provider...

It seems that there is no real infrastructure in all parts of London, and some companies offer speed ranges that are way far from expected. I found this development plan of BT that apparently includes Dulwich: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/fibre_map/index.html

I received an offer from sky for an average broadband but I have read in the forum that is not working very well in the area.

I really don't care about tv packages, telephone and other offers but a good and reliable internet connection.

If anyone is in the same situation please any comment or suggestion would be a great help.

Many thanks! I

Yer virgin tell us there upgrading to double speed end of July but quite frankly the current 30Mb package ranges from speeds of 30Mb down to below 3Mb sometimes and their customer service is worse than awful so i'd think twice before signing a contract with them.

Ukjoncollins Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yer virgin tell us there upgrading to double speed

> end of July but quite frankly the current 30Mb

> package ranges from speeds of 30Mb down to below

> 3Mb sometimes and their customer service is worse

> than awful so i'd think twice before signing a

> contract with them.

Is this with fibre optic broadband? Our service is usually excellent.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. So Virgin would be the best choice for speed but they have a very bad customer service?

What about Sky. Is it as bad as they say for speed?

(I just found out they also offer fibre optic, but I'm not quite sure if is covering the area)

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> estimate on their website is still down for 30

> June 2012 - normallythey keep shifting it back by

> 3 months or so, but usually a lot sooner than 10

> days beforehand. So.. maybe?

>

> (probably not)

I got a letter from BT yesterday confirming the above date. As for the complaining virgin users,I'm amazed you get such bad service when our's is so good.

Virgin's network was built in East Dulwich by a shower called Videotron. They used untrained workers who barely built the network at all. THey didnt even Finish Friern Road.And when Homechoice started operating they had to recable a lot of roads. I've had Virgin out twice trying to connect me and then going "Oh Dear there's no cable" SO a combination of poor customer service and bad network makes Virgin a gambe in E Dulwich. Sadly as I'd love a Tivo box knocks spots of Mr Murdock's offering!

I'm new too so "Hi Everyone!"

I'm in SE14 on the border of Peckham. I've had Virgin Broadband a while now (6 years) and its never failed me. I have a 10mb connection which is apparently soon to be upgraded to 20mb. I've been noting my speeds and they have all been very close to 10mb. Lowest was 8.7 which is still very good.

Recently I rung them as I saw a sky offer. It wasn't that fantastic but I played a bit of a bluff and told Virgin I wanted to disconnect to get this offer. They offered me 60mb for the same cost as what I was paying already.

They were very good about it. Prompt and polite. You could argue its a bit mean that you have to ring and "blackmail" them to get a better deal, but this is true with all companies now.

I've had the 60mb a week and its not dropped below 63mb yet. I've even managed as high as 72mb.

I think Virgin is the safest bet. I've always found them fine in terms of Customer Service, but would say phone and broadband - yes..... TV - nope....

Just my opinion.

Can't compare the two as it is a few years since using it and it was given to us with a dish to allow my OH to pick up certain foreign channels so didn't really utilise it that much. It seemed pretty basic but may have been advanced at the time.

Yer the fibre optic setup which is a nightmare... The customer service is awful.. They tried to pull all sorts of crap with my housemate who didn't quite understand it all. I've been using their business service in a different location for 2 years and never really had a problem with it. Consumer service though, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again if i can help it.

Yes, BT has definitely rolled out fibre optic broadband to the dulwich / Peckham area. ( the large green street cabinets on the street corners are for BT fibre broadband.) if not yet available at your address, then it should be soon.

• 8 months later...

Hiya, I wanted to resurrect this thread to get some up-to-date feedback. I am based in SE15, in Nutbrook st and since signing up with Virgin less than 1 month ago, my broadband speeds have been extremely slow in the evenings: less than 3mbps generally, sometimes down to kbps... They tell me that there is a known problem in the area, and looking at various threads, I have no confidence this will be resolved soon.

Does anyone know a) if Sky fibre unlimited or BT infinity is any good in the area and b) are all these networks all on different cables or the same infrastructure? Not sure how it works with fibre.

Any advice would be great!

thanks

Mx

BT Engineer has just left my place in Camberwell having done an upgrade to Infinity - it's a good offer for existing customers, the work was free and there's no extra charge for the faster service until my contract renews. Haven't done any downloading yet but broadband seems ok and speedtest.net says I've got download speeds around 35Mbps (which is nothing like the 76Mbps that you're promised but I'm on wifi which makes a big difference apparently.) That said, I don't recommend switching to BT if you're in any way interested in decent quality customer service...